Official HL thread for the Mizzou

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I figured we were leaving the discussion in the coliseum because TLR nor HL picked it up over the weekend.

But I do find it interesting that nothing was said about this incident until the moment the football team decided to take issues into their own hands. In fact the only reason I knew about this story was because of the football team.

It's a good idea to discuss here as well. I value the opinions in HL more than any of the other subforums. For the most part, we do have more reasonable and sober discussions here than on any other forum.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
It's a good idea to discuss here as well. I value the opinions in HL more than any of the other subforums. For the most part, we do have more reasonable and sober discussions here than on any other forum.

I definitely concur with that. Though I was super confused that it didn't become a stickied thread in TLR. Cats must have spent all their time beefing over that Strawberry situation about forgot about real issues in the world.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'm in the minority here because I don't think it needed to go to the extreme of calling for the resignation of the President and Chancellor. From my understanding of the timeline

Racial climate at MU: A timeline of incidents this fall

It seemed like the students went for the nuclear option too soon. But then again, I saw a video where the president seemed to be mocking the students when they confronted him with a question about systemic oppression.

There should have been a better way to handle this situation or maybe i'm more sympathetic cause I have family that works in University Administration

Not exactly sure why you think the students were the only ones who called for the resignation of the President. Nor am I sure why you think the incidents this fall are the only reasons the President was removed. Stop being an apologist.

Opposition to the administration reached a peak in the last week. A graduate student, Jonathan Butler, who was a veteran of the Ferguson protests, held a highly publicized hunger strike, saying he would not eat again until Mr. Wolfe was gone. Protesters formed an encampment on campus. A coalition of Jewish groups told Mr. Loftin that they were “dismayed” by his lack of action after a swastika was drawn on a dormitory wall. Deans of nine of its schools called for Mr. Loftin’s removal.

On Monday morning, the student government demanded Mr. Wolfe’s ouster, and much of the faculty sent word to students that classes were canceled for two days, in favor of a teach-in focused on race relations.

But it was the football team that may have dealt the fatal blow to the university’s leaders, when players announced on Saturday that they would refuse to play as long as the president remained in office, and their head coach, Gary Pinkel, said he supported them. The prospect of a strike by a team in the country’s most dominant college football league, the Southeastern Conference, drew national attention, and officials said that just forfeiting the team’s game Saturday against Brigham Young University in Kansas City, Mo., would cost the university $1 million.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/10/us/university-of-missouri-system-president-resigns.html?_r=0

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
And when chancellor Brady Deaton announced his retirement in late 2013, he was replaced by former Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin. The bow-tied Loftin is a natural politician. He has also lost the faith of quite a few faculty members with his appeasement of actual politicians. (The English Department recently rendered a 26-0 vote of no confidence in Loftin.) A behind-the-scenes battle between Wolfe and Loftin had become public knowledge.

In recent months, Missouri has revoked admitting privileges for a doctor associated with Planned Parenthood. The med school dean was pushed out after less than a year on the job (a large percentage of med school faculty believes Loftin was beyond instrumental). And one morning in August, graduate students woke up to find they were no longer going to be provided health insurance.

A combination of poor leadership and minimal pay increases has led to a depressed environment. Insiders and outsiders have noted morale on campus feels like it's at an all-time low.

The Missouri football strike was about a lot of things, but mostly about respect

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The city of 115,000, sitting in the middle of the state, has appeared several times on lists of best places to live. However, Paul Blackman (Class of ’71) clearly remembers black fraternities waving a black flag in protest in the same football stadium where the rebel flag was being waved while the band played “Dixie.”

As late as the 1980s, former coach Woody Widenhofer was fielding questions about his ability to lure black recruits to Columbia. It was during that time he signed running back Tony VanZant, a black athlete from St. Louis who was then the highest-rated recruit ever for the Tigers.

VanZant’s close friend, Stacy Elliott, played defensive line at Mizzou in the early 1990s and was a member of the school’s Legion of Black Collegians.

“We had two different homecomings,” said Elliott, who then decided on the spot, “I’m coming to Columbia to stand with them [protesters].”

The protesters are speaking out against what they say is a racially and gender-intolerant atmosphere at Mizzou. In 2010, cotton balls were found outside the campus’ black cultural center. In just the last few months, a swastika was found on a resident hall wall scrawled in human feces.

And then on Sunday, as the protesters’ tent village flourished and media interviewed inhabitants, a real-time rebel flag appeared.

“I was walking down Greek Town and some guys on the back of a pickup decided to spring the ‘N-word’ on me over and over and over again,” said Payton Head, a senior from inner city Chicago who is president of the Missouri Student Association. “At that moment, I had to decide what I wanted to do.”

Missouri hunger strike: Football program joins front line in Columbia

CHL

Superstar
Daps
heard about this earlier on highly questionable
shocked how well these protests have been kept out of the media
and mad props to the mizzou students
once upon a time I interviewed around the country for work and mizzou (georgia was another one) was one of those places that made my racism radar tingle, I know racism is everywhere in the US but some places...:merchant:that shyt is in the air, you can just feel it:huhldup:
Can you expand on this infidel? :dwillhuh: :feedme:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Third, the team's protest threatened immediate economic damage to the university. This is perhaps the biggest issue at play. A contract between Missouri and BYU obtained by the Kansas City Star reveals that cancellation on the part of the Tigers would result in a $1 million fine to be paid to BYU within 30 days of the cancellation.

What's particularly interesting is that the $1 million fine is a flat sum set because "actual damages — including those relating to public relations, radio and television broadcasts, lost profits, and other consequential damages — would be difficult or impossible to calculate," in the words of the agreement. Which is almost certainly true.

According to data compiled by USA Today, Missouri's athletic program generated $83.7 million in revenue last year, on $80.2 million in cost — a net of $3.5 million in profit. That's a lot of money — but it's actually fairly low for a public university. Of the 225 Division I schools that have an obligation to release that data, Missouri ranks 32nd in revenue. The top five schools are Oregon, Texas, Michigan, Alabama and Ohio State — which saw a combined $172.3 million in profit on $813 million in revenue.

Athletes talking about race is nothing new. Here's a look at Muhammad Ali refusing the draft, Lebron James's "I can't breathe" shirt, and now the University of Missouri football team. (Gillian Brockell/The Washington Post)

That's the fourth point: There's huge long-term economic power in college football programs. The Tigers aren't having a great season, at 4-5 after four straight losses. They're still in contention for one of college football's countless bowl games, assuming they close the season strong. If they did make a bowl, the school would get some amount of money as a bonus. Last year, schools that played in even the least-known games got six-figure payouts.

There are any number of other economic pipelines that are put at risk. The University of Michigan — a much bigger program than Missouri's — signed a deal with Nike worth $11 million a year for 15 years. That's just to allow Nike to outfit their teams in games. Missouri gets $2.2 million from its deal with the company — plus bonuses if those Nike uniforms make it to the college football playoffs (which, given their record, they will not).

Those television agreements that are mentioned in the BYU contract are another thing altogether. Missouri is in the SEC, which means they earn $15.6 million per year just to be seen on the SEC Network on cable. By the 2018 season, the Mercury News's Jon Wilner estimated in March, the school will get $35.6 million in overall television revenue — and that's a conservative estimate.

How much the school would lose if the team boycotted even one game is hard to say. But swinging back to politics, it's easy to see where the leverage lies. The hunger striker, Butler, risked embarrassing the university badly by letting a student be hospitalized (or worse) over its policies. The football team was already embarrassing the university, but threatened economic damage as well. The operating budget for the school in 2014-2015 anticipates $1.19 billion in revenue and $1.16 billion in costs. The $84 million generated by all of the schools' sports programs is 7 percent of that revenue total — and it's safe to say that football is a lot of that $84 million.

For years, the debate over college athletics has centered on whether or not athletes should be paid. The fight at the University of Missouri reveals that the football team even at a less-lucrative school can exert significant political power. Which should make the administrations at those more-lucrative schools awfully nervous.

How the Missouri football team just took down its university president

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The student body is just 7 percent black, yet 58 of the school’s 84 scholarship football players are African-American. There is no football team without black labor. That means there aren’t million-dollar coaching salaries without black labor. There isn’t a nucleus of campus social life without black labor. There isn’t the weekly economic boon to Columbia, Missouri, bringing in millions in revenue to hotels, restaurants, and other assorted businesses without black labor. The power brokers of Columbia need these games to be played. Yet if the young black men and those willing to stand with them—and there are white teammates publicly standing with them—aren’t happy with the grind of unpaid labor on a campus openly hostile to black students, they can take it it all down, just by putting down their helmets, hanging up their spikes, and folding their arms.

If Wolfe goes, it will show how university power really works in a country where football coaches are often the most highly paid people on campus and universities are like a company town whose primary business is football. The actions of these players is best understood as a rumble of the sleeping giant. We have felt similar stirrings in recent years when Northwestern football players pushed for union recognition and the players at Grambling struck against their unsafe working conditions. When players take these kinds of direct actions, they show what they really are: a labor force. And like all labor forces they are concerned with issues like union rights, safe working conditions, and some form of redress if they are in a hostile work environment. Based upon what’s been happening at MU, it is certainly that.

For Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel, who makes $4 million a year, and his staff, they apparently decided immediately to throw their support behind the players and the athletic department released a statement saying, “We all must come together with leaders from across our campus to tackle these challenging issues and we support our student-athletes right to do so.”

Black Mizzou Football Players Are Going on Strike Over Campus Racism

Dr. Sebi Jr.

Trust Me
Daps
Reppin
Not Technically a "Doctor"
Third, the team's protest threatened immediate economic damage to the university. This is perhaps the biggest issue at play. A contract between Missouri and BYU obtained by the Kansas City Star reveals that cancellation on the part of the Tigers would result in a $1 million fine to be paid to BYU within 30 days of the cancellation.
So the president only quit because of money?:patrice:

The student body is just 7 percent black, yet 58 of the school’s 84 scholarship football players are African-American.
The fake African American studies classes they invent for these guys.:blessed:
The grade inflation.:blessed:
The scouting of high school talent with illegal gifts, parties with booze, and hookers.:blessed:

Dr. Sebi Jr.

Trust Me
Daps
Reppin
Not Technically a "Doctor"
Can anyone break down how this is all CAC lies for me, brehs?:patrice:

For instance, all of the demands of the #ConcernedStudent1950 movement were already met with the exception of the resignation of the university president which they demanded because their other demands had supposedly not been met.

• The installment of a diversity officer.
The University of Missouri already had not one but two full-time affirmative action officers.Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action | Human Resource Services | University of Missouri

• An office to support students seeking resolution for racial discrimination and violence.
The University of Missouri already has an Equity Office (where students can go for "addressing discrimination and inequitable treatment") and a Multicultural Center for programming and advising, with the express goal of dealing with "systemic discrimination, diversity and inclusion" as well as "cross-cultural communication, cultural sensitivity, roommate conflict." MU Offices and Their Responsibilities | Get Help | MizzouDiversity Mizzou Diversity | University of Missourihttp://multiculturalcenter.missouri.edu

• Mandatory diversity training for all freshman.
This was granted almost a month before the hunger strike even began.Mizzou will require diversity training after racist incident on campus : News

• A sit-down discussion with the university president to discuss systemic racial discrimination.
This occurred on October 27, again before the hunger strike even began. They just didn't like that he didn't recant his entire worldview which involved a difference of agreement about equal opportunity at Missouri and in the United States. Timeline of Unrest: How Missouri Protests Caught Fire

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
The student body is just 7 percent black, yet 58 of the school’s 84 scholarship football players are African-American. There is no football team without black labor. That means there aren’t million-dollar coaching salaries without black labor. There isn’t a nucleus of campus social life without black labor. There isn’t the weekly economic boon to Columbia, Missouri, bringing in millions in revenue to hotels, restaurants, and other assorted businesses without black labor. The power brokers of Columbia need these games to be played. Yet if the young black men and those willing to stand with them—and there are white teammates publicly standing with them—aren’t happy with the grind of unpaid labor on a campus openly hostile to black students, they can take it it all down, just by putting down their helmets, hanging up their spikes, and folding their arms.

If Wolfe goes, it will show how university power really works in a country where football coaches are often the most highly paid people on campus and universities are like a company town whose primary business is football. The actions of these players is best understood as a rumble of the sleeping giant. We have felt similar stirrings in recent years when Northwestern football players pushed for union recognition and the players at Grambling struck against their unsafe working conditions. When players take these kinds of direct actions, they show what they really are: a labor force. And like all labor forces they are concerned with issues like union rights, safe working conditions, and some form of redress if they are in a hostile work environment. Based upon what’s been happening at MU, it is certainly that.

For Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel, who makes $4 million a year, and his staff, they apparently decided immediately to throw their support behind the players and the athletic department released a statement saying, “We all must come together with leaders from across our campus to tackle these challenging issues and we support our student-athletes right to do so.”

Black Mizzou Football Players Are Going on Strike Over Campus Racism
I can't wait for the college football players to wake up:ohlawd:

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
But I do find it interesting that nothing was said about this incident until the moment the football team decided to take issues into their own hands. In fact the only reason I knew about this story was because of the football team.

they had to get ahead of the football team the last thing they want is for national tv to show these black boys, who unwittingly and actually control the flow of so much capital, united and expressing political power, for all the other black boys of their ilk to see and start wondering.....woooooo boy!!!!they aint want none of that:whew:
man if them flwda boys wanted to see zimmerman lynched on the courthouse steps with Jeb Bush himself lighting the pyre, all they had to do was get FSU and UF and UM football boys to shut shyt down, on some :martin: for one weekend, ONE WEEKEND:bryan:
it would have been a WRAP for ole Zimmy:smugfavre:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In 2012, Missouri left its longtime home in the Big 12 Conference to join the Southeastern Conference, mostly due to the possibility of additional revenue. That included the formation of the SEC Network, which charges at least $1.30 per month ($15.60 per year) to everyone with at least a Tier One cable subscription in the states with league teams, no matter whether the subscriber wants the channel or would ever watch it or any sports event.

It's essentially an SEC Sports Tax, which means Missouri athletics affects almost everyone in the state. If a similar $15-a-year higher-education tax were ever put on the ballot in most states, it would likely lose in a landslide.

Missouri protest exposes NCAA's greatest fear