Official Locker Room IT Breh check-in

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
over the years i learnt that being late or tardy isnt a joke. if you dont have to sign into a phone or voip, you can get away with 10 mins like everyday but usually everywhere takes lates seriously. you can be early everyday but the one day your late your gonna get in shyt. i got fired from tim hortons helpdesk for this very reason. time is money, especially in the corporate world. you cant be costing nikkas their bread plus it just looks bad.

It is definitely something I need to work on. But saying I "no called, no show" is slander to me:ufdup:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
1) Purchase a fairly, powerful old computer that has some extent of scalability as to its resources i.e. RAM, disk, processors, etc. I have a Dell Precision 7500.
2) Acquire a hypervisor (type I) of your choice: Hyper-V, XenServer, VSphere, KVM, or others. If you are going with a type II hypervisor, I would recomend Oracle VirtualBox.
3) It wouldn't hurt to have a NAS (Network Attached Storage). You can store your ISOs there. Mount them to your VMs (virtual machines).
4) Acquire ISOs of your choosing for installing operating systems to VMs. You can obtain copies of Windows Server 2012R2, Windows Server 2016, Ubuntu, Gentoo, or others online.
5) Basic network: WAP (Wireless Access Point), cable modem, and a switch with at least 8 ports and gigabit ethernet.

That should be a good primer. If you want ideas as to hardware to purchase, funding for virtual data center, certifications, just reach out to me.

Now that you have a virtual data center with a small; rudimentary network, you can build whatever you desire: databases, container servers, coding stations, proxy servers, virtual switches, et al.
Would it not be cheaper to just use IAAS with AWS or Azure instead?

Daps
Would it not be cheaper to just use IAAS with AWS or Azure instead?

Perhaps, but you don't have control over the hardware (and to some degree the software). Plus, if you don't pay your bill, how do you gain access to what you've constructed?

I'd rather have 100% control over the complete stack, but that's my preference.

That being said, I do have an AWS account.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
What's the difference between a Systems Enigineer & a SysAdmin?

SysAdmin is the level right below SysEng.

System Admins =You basically are in charge of management of the Infrastructure.
-You have Domain Admin rights
-You create service accounts
-Its usually your job to report on System Health and Uptime
-You are responsible as a Go-between from Software/Application Dev and the System Engineers
-You fix any issue that escalates beyond Technical support
-Patching and Updates are usually on you
-You may be asked to contact Vendors and built a rapport

The System Engineer is the guy who builds it
-You have Domain Enterprise rights
-You build the entire Infrastructure
-You design the colo
-You design the Network topology
-You build the AD Schema
-You spinup VMs and hosts
-You create a DR plan
-You wire everything
-You meet with Vendors and discuss purchasing plans
-You do everything a SysAdmin does as well

A system engineer is basically the top. You have to really know your shyt to be considered an Engineer because you are the knowledge base for everything infrastructure related. The only thing above it is a System Architect, but that's a role reserved for a larger company that has multiple Engineering teams

If IT Engineers are the folks who physically build & repair infrastructure while IT admins manage/support infrastructure day-to-day, is it safe to say that IT engineers do more grunt work?

Last edited:

Behind-the-wheel

Living dead
Daps
Reppin
Death
For all the brehs who ain't doing shyt at work either, come check in while getting this money :birdman:

IMG_20180209_093946_panorama.jpg

Just getting back...just seeing this.
*CHECK IN*

Behind-the-wheel

Living dead
Daps
Reppin
Death
If IT Engineers are the folks who physically build & repair infrastructureinfras IT admins manage/support infrastructure day-to-day, is it safe to say that IT engineers do more grunt work?

Absolutely.
As a Senior Systems Engineer for the Army I get it up the ass twice as bad.
Have to build the entire system with my team, then take it out in the warzone to test it and make sure the other soldiers are happy with it.
Ugh...

Sonny Bonds

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Checking in!I 'm the only help desk guy at a start up. It's pretty easy because it's all Mac.

Last week, I was setting up a new hires accounts and gave her an invite to the entire Adobe creative suite.

Today I asked her manager if she needed it and she said no. She doesn't start until Monday, but I can't revoke it now because the invite is sitting in her inbox.
:francis:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Word to being the de facto IT department at your office...because its a non-profit and your are the only male millennial. :snoop:

Prolly bout to play a couple games of Overwatch :skip: