Official SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Thread

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
It was good. Micheal Keaton really made this movie for me. He brought a level of gravity that I think Marvel needs more of. I really also loved Peter's big 'moment'. I'm so glad they they didn't crack a joke to lighten it. It really felt heavy and climatic and I'm so glad they didn't down play it. I hope they do more of that in the future. I definitely think they showed too much in the trailer, particularly the ferry scene. Sucked out all of the tension because we knew how it would end. I hope they stop doing that. But everyone did a good job acting wise, and I really LOVED that whole sequence that starts with Peter picking up his homecoming date. From then on, the entire movie went up another level for me. I still think Spiderman 2 is the best Spiderman movie but this is up there. Not sure if I would put it at #2 but it's close.

I'm gonna be a spoil sport here though and say I don't like how they
hand waved over the Civil War conflict. They named dropped the Sokovia Accords but Tony and Peter are literally breaking the Accords the entire movie. It's just so weird they would mention the very policy that led to the Civil War, and then proceed to have the people who were for the Accords breaking the Accords without addressing that they were doing that. Also the timeline is screwed up. Between the Chitaru attack and Iron Man 1, stuff isn't really adding up year wise. Someone didn't look that over close enough, which is really ridiculous considering how many years and connected all of these movies are. And I guess my biggest gripe is that Tony just back from fighting Steve and Bucky and finding out how his parents died yet he's back to being his regular happy go lucky wise cracking self. Oh yeah and he's making Cap a new shield, that was quick. I guess Steve's letter at the end of CW just patched things up. How neat and tidy. It took all of the weight out of that conflict. It just didn't sit right. Is the MCU afraid to deal with angst? I get the feeling they are.

Anyway, besides those annoying nitpicks, we had a good time.

8.5/10

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Just reading about some of the obscure ass easter eggs in the movie

When Spidey confronts Aaron Davis (Donald Glover) the license plate of his car is UCS M01 - for 'Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 01 - Miles' origin issue :wow: Also - apparently there's something tiger-related in the scene where MJ introduces herself too

:ohhh:

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Just reading about some of the obscure ass easter eggs in the movie

When Spidey confronts Aaron Davis (Donald Glover) the license plate of his car is UCS M01 - for 'Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 01 - Miles' first appearance :wow: Also - apparently there's something tiger-related in the scene where MJ introduces herself too

:ohhh:
Yeah their mascot is a tiger and it runs by before she says she's MJ

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Iron man 3 sucked.
tumblr_inline_mp29t0BZ9X1qz4rgp_zpsbz2jvnng.gif

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@Tasha And
This is my favorite spider man movie. It's almost as if it takes everything I loved about the spider man movies I like and combined them into one while adding new wrinkles and twists and everything it gets right, it gets extremely right. I could talk about Tom Holland and how dope he is making peter parker and spider man separate characters and playing them both perfectly, or his relationships and how well done they all are, especially with Ned. Or I could talk about the high school shyt, which all works, even though I would've loved more of it. But what takes this thing over the top for me is the 3rd act, starting with the twist and then bowling ahead from there. Keaton is on fukking fire this whole movie and manages to take it to another level in his scenes with Peter. He's menacing, scary, and fleshed out enough where you know this isn't just him talking. He really will kill this kid if need be and you understand why. His motivations are clear, as are Peter's, and it's obvious why they gotta do what they gotta do.

But the Amazing #33 reference is my favorite scene in any spider man movie and possibly any comic book movie. Maybe second to the interrogation scene in the dark knight, but it may supplant it, and I love both for the same reasons. They're earned, they say a lot about their main characters, and they propel them forward without the scene just being there for show. That scene has been imitated in countless issues of spider man and every single time it rings hollow but this movie understands what those comics don't and even other spider man movies haven't, is that those kinda things have to be played straight and needs to be used to actually do something rather than just being fan service.

But on the subject of fan service, the one glaring issue with this movie is pure fan service and its type terrible. The movie definitely loses points for that shyt because it's stupid and cheap. Outside of that, I've really got no issues with it and I can't wait for the sequel. I also love the fact they let Peter make mistakes here, whether its getting his ass whooped or letting down the girl he likes all in the name of saving the day. It's heartbreaking when he lets people down because clearly they care and you know he's going to pay for it in the end, but also because in the grand scheme of things, he's doing the right thing.

The quips are there, the drama is on point and thick, the whole world feels lived in and fully realized, the villain is spectacular, and even the father/son shyt with Peter and Tony works better than I thought it would while serving as a nice bookend to the first iron man movie as well. Peter had the perfect arc in this movie and the Parker Luck was in full effect, which is what made his triumph in the end that much sweeter. I don't know if its a perfect movie, but it's a phenomenal one and an incredible spider man story.

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
Ok now that I think I hope we get kraven next film a peak human master hunter well versed in everything to push peter physically and test his skills :wow:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Also I love the score. Giacchino tapped into the teenage high school vibe while also the big comic book action flick shyt. I love the spider man theme and how the vulture theme is a variation on his theme. Same notes, just played lower and with more boom behind them. Like the best spider man stories, it just goes to show they're mirrors of each other in certain respects. Both are blue collar heroes wanting to fight for the little guy, even if Toomes' version of it is slightly warped. And that would be the reason his theme is a warped version of spider-man's. I've had the score on repeat for a day now and can't get enough of it