Official VENOM Movie Thread

momma

All Star
Daps
The good: Venom effects / action scenes were really good for the most part. The horror-y elements were a highlight as well, and I enjoyed Tom Hardy in this and I really think the movie has a nice charm going for it

The bad: :whoo:

For one the dialogue was at times really the blandest and worst I've seen since something like Suicide Squad. It's not always bad, but sometimes it gets really choppy and yes it's a Hollywood blockbuster but the bar is still not low enough where some of these scenes don't even feel like they could be real human interactions. That whole last scene between Eddie and his girl was laughably bad. Or when they're in their car and Eddie's girl is like "So sound... is like his Kryptonite? :skip:" Don't even get me started on the post-credits scene

"And I'm about to create some...... carnage :youngsabo:"

:laff:

The movie itself is actually pointless, because there kinda is no coherent story. 10 dollars to anyone who can even tell me what this movie was actually about and what the structure of the plot is. The logical progression of the movie was all over the place and poorly put together, and I often had no idea where the story was going because nothing flowed

Also, the emotional anchor of the movie, which is Eddie's relationship with his girl, doesn't work at all, because we don't know these characters and their motivations and their weaknesses. They're also only together in the movie for like 5 minutes before she breaks off their whole engagement because of one mistake. That's not a good redemption story, that's just horrible writing and indifference towards actual development in favor of creating some faux emotional arc

I can't even say I had a good time because to me, a lot of the comedy beats and jokes felt clumsy and ill-timed, like SNL levels of cringiness. If this was a MCU movie it'd be a million people up in arms about how there were too many forced jokes. It wasn't always bad and I'm not gonna say the jokes weren't funny, but they really didn't know how to execute comedy well in this movie, and comedy writing has a lot to do with technique which there was none of in this movie.

For example, a really good beat in this movie was when Venom was telling Eddie to jump from the building and there's musical buildup in the background and we actually think he might do it because we know he can make it, but then they straight cut to Eddie pressing an elevator button and Venom bluntly going "p*ssy". That was good, but it's a shame nothing else in the movie comes close to that as far as comedic writing.

Last edited:

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
The movie itself is actually pointless, because there kinda is no coherent story. 10 dollars to anyone who can even tell me what this movie was actually about and what the structure of the plot is. The logical progression of the movie was all over the place and poorly put together, and I often had no idea where the story was going because nothing flowed

Also, the emotional anchor of the movie, which is Eddie's relationship with his girl, doesn't work at all, because we don't know these characters and their motivations and their weaknesses. They're also only together in the movie for like 5 minutes before she breaks off their whole engagement because of one mistake. That's not a good redemption story, that's just horrible writing and indifference towards actual development in favor of creating some faux emotional arc

I can't even say I had a good time because to me, a lot of the comedy beats and jokes felt clumsy and ill-timed, like SNL levels of cringiness. If this was a MCU movie it'd be a million people up in arms about how there were too many forced jokes. It wasn't always bad and I'm not gonna say the jokes weren't funny, but they really didn't know how to execute comedy well in this movie, and comedy writing has a lot to do with technique which there was none of in this movie.

For example, a really good beat in this movie was when Venom was telling Eddie to jump from the building and there's musical buildup in the background and we actually think he might do it because we know he can make it, but then they straight cut to Eddie pressing an elevator button and Venom bluntly going "p*ssy". That was good, but it's a shame nothing else in the movie comes close to that as far as comedic writing.

just watched venom last night

id say their is a solid story, not sure if it fully fits the comics as i only really know about venom via spiderman

the plot of the story is basically eddie was a top reporter/journalists , he knows the indian breh is a scumbag, indian breh ruins ediies life due to his own curiosity, dr Dora finds out indian breh is a scumbag and is killing homeless people in the name of science , she goes to eddie so he can expose the guy, she gets him into the lab, he takes pics, sybote finds him then you know the rest, he tries to expose the breh but suit starts to act frantic because he's also on the run then they find out the other symbiote Riot that came back from space with the first group has now attached himself to the idnian breh, indian breh wants to bring more suits back but venom knows the Riot guy will bring more to kill off earth , so they stop it

short version : the movie is about eddie becoming a top journalist again and his next story is about Cletus Kasady
again im not sure how close it sticks to the comics but it seemed easy enough for a 15 rated movie

the film is ok, very cheesy at parts , like for me the way they make the guy say "we are venom!" i know venom from the cartoons and games and it wasnt the same but again by now we all know films can never really get things 100%, but you can tell they have 2 and possibly a 3 in the works

for me this kind of reminds me of the blade movie, i like 2 way more than 1

The symbiote bond with their hosts, creating a symbiotic bond through which a single entity is created. They also are able to slightly alter their hosts personalities, by influencing their darkest desires and wants, along with amplifying their physical and emotional traits and personality, granting them super-human abilities.

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
just watched venom last night

id say their is a solid story, not sure if it fully fits the comics as i only really know about venom via spiderman

the plot of the story is basically eddie was a top reporter/journalists , he knows the indian breh is a scumbag, indian breh ruins ediies life due to his own curiosity, dr Dora finds out indian breh is a scumbag and is killing homeless people in the name of science , she goes to eddie so he can expose the guy, she gets him into the lab, he takes pics, sybote finds him then you know the rest, he tries to expose the breh but suit starts to act frantic because he's also on the run then they find out the other symbiote Riot that came back from space with the first group has now attached himself to the idnian breh, indian breh wants to bring more suits back but venom knows the Riot guy will bring more to kill off earth , so they stop it

short version : the movie is about eddie becoming a top journalist again and his next story is about Cletus Kasady
again im not sure how close it sticks to the comics but it seemed easy enough for a 15 rated movie

the film is ok, very cheesy at parts , like for me the way they make the guy say "we are venom!" i know venom from the cartoons and games and it wasnt the same but again by now we all know films can never really get things 100%, but you can tell they have 2 and possibly a 3 in the works

for me this kind of reminds me of the blade movie, i like 2 way more than 1
That is a synopsis not a plot structure. You cant properly give a good plot structure true detail because it was all over the place. It was a fun popcorn flick.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
The writing in this movie is very flat. The comedic lines are spoken and then the camera moves to a middle shot where the actors pause, as if allowing the audience time to laugh.

There were a lot of dead silences. Audience laughed twice in my theatre.

Venom is more interesting working as the central piece and others sticking to the background.

3D is bad but that motorcycle scene is a showcase on not how to do a chase scene. The camera is low and twisting all over that the action is wasted. The targets are cars and motorcycles, with some drones. Camera didn't need to be low for that length of time.

I felt that the villain was very one dimensional, Symbiotes were over explained and didn't need that much being told. Jameson reference was nice.

His girlfriend was bushes status.
:camby:

Clout chasing.

All in all, this movie felt like they didn't know what to do with it. Venom in Spider-Man 3 was done better.

Think about that.
:francis:

Benefited

Banned
Daps
Casual fans don't give a shyt. It's why studio's don't feel the need to stick to the source material as much as possible.

I was expecting a dark thriller. It seems like it was an unintentional comedy. If they were going to go that route, they might as well had cast Jack Black as Eddie Brock

Exactly,I went in expecting a dark drama:dahell:.Thought this would be a movie where the symbiote is playing psychological warfare on Eddie Brock:dahell:?

Once he got the symbiote it turned into an all out comedy:mjlol:.
I was confused as hell,but begin to enjoy the relationship between him and Eddie. The symbiote made me laugh everytime it spoke practically.
Storyline was still shyt but sometimes that happens on the introduction,hopefully they improve on that in the second.
I can't even put it in the Deadpool lane where the script wasn't good but the movie was still enjoyable. Because I didn't enjoy the movie until the symbiote showed up and got with Brock which took a minute. Plus I didn't know how I was supposed to be enjoying the movie,and actually spent time paying attention to the plot thinking it was a serious movie at first:martin:. I was entertained once the symbiote showed up though I must admit.

They really have to get Spiderman involved now,when Venom drops that zero Eddie to get with a real hero like Spiderman:mjlol:. Disney and Sony will basically be forced to do it by popular demand.