Official Winning Time Season 1 Thread

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I know some folks are mad at the way they are portrayed in this series but as someone that doesn’t have a lot of NBA knowledge, this show is making them look cool to me. I like Jerry West character to the point that I hope that’s actually how he was(I know it’s not true). I like Kareem’s character the same way. Every character looks cool to me except Paul Westhead. Got him out here looking kinda soft.
Right. He probably has a legit gripe. They aren’t doing anything redeeming for his character at all. shyt actually feels personal.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Right. He probably has a legit gripe. They aren’t doing anything redeeming for his character at all. shyt actually feels personal.
Does he really though?

Martha Jane Kane, whom he had married in 1960 described West as “the saddest man she had ever met.” Multiple years later, Martha wrote a letter to Lakers owner Jerry Buss informing him that Jerry was “a very tormented individual.” So much so it felts as if he was almost on the brink of self-destruction. West was one of the greatest players that NBA has ever seen, but he was someone who stayed away from the light. He eschews any publicity he receives. During his career and following his career let’s look at some of the thing’s West has done that showed how scared he truly was from being the center of attraction.

West was someone who could not bear watching his own team play in the finals. West once walked out of his own surprise birthday party. West has also skipped nights help in his honor. At one point following his legendary career, West was to be announced as the team’s new coach, however, he immediately announced to everyone, the media, players, and his boss that he would not do so. West also was a no-show at his own retirement announcement. All these negative aspects from one of the most legendary basketball players ever, someone who is an Hall of Famer, has his own statue outside of Staples Center, won an Olympic Gold Medal, and has his own image as the NBA’s logo. This is Jerry West. The boy who was tortured throughout his whole life. A boy tortured by his parents, by his dreams, and by anything that presented him as the main attraction.
His portrayal seems pretty accurate when you take in every character has exaggerated traits. It’s not like they completely changing who he was as a person.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Does he really though?

His portrayal seems pretty accurate when you take in every character has exaggerated traits. It’s not like they completely changing who he was as a person.
Nah i was talking about Westhead. I fukk with this Jerry West depiction.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Jerry Buss died in 2013. This show takes place in the 80’s. The maid doesn’t even look like she’s in her twenties now lol

I'm saying they're taking real aspects of his life and putting in the show to round out his character & the story

it's not the first time and it won't be the last

Bless't

Living the dream
Daps
Reppin
NULL
131736354.jpeg

5bb6d140250000360039c09b.jpeg

lakers-owner-jerry-buss-and-his-girlfriend-attend-the-playmate-of-the-picture-id1952900

Joey+Fatone+ex+N+SYNC+member+dines+out+friends+4VbFXucq21dm.jpg

index.php

5bb6d14b200000c101013e71.jpeg

ActiveConsciousCoati-size_restricted.gif

200.gif
Perfect.

:russ:

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Here's quote from Doc's book
“I’ve hit her (Turquoise), but only in self-defense,” Erving confesses, writing throughout in the present tense. “. . . I don’t ever touch her unless I’m being attacked.”

He married Turquoise in the flush of early stardom just after a messy contract dispute had been resolved, bringing him to the Nets in 1973. The boy who had been raised in the Parkside Gardens projects in Hempstead, L.I., until he was 13 was now in his full 6-foot-7 glory. He was “young, fine and rich” and had found his woman.

“We are the Bonnie and Clyde of black and sexy, the JFK and Jackie of African-American and cool.

“Dr. J and Turq.”

Erving writes that while he was faithful at the outset of his marriage, by 1978, when he met sportswriter Samantha Stevenson in the Philadelphia 76ers’ locker room, he had long been straying.

He and Turq were still celebrating the birth of their son, Cory, in 1981, when a letter arrived informing him that Stevenson had a baby girl, named Alexandra, and Erving was the father. A paternity test proved her out.

Turq didn’t take it well.

“‘You f—ing pig,’ and she is pounding me, hurling punches that I’m trying to parry with my arms crossed over my chest, I’m backing up, until finally I’m against the cabinet. . . .

“Turquoise and I have some violent fights. A man can’t win these fights. If I hit back, then that only enrages Turq more and she’s going to start swinging harder.”

Turq’s terms were that Erving would support the child according to a lawyer’s agreement. Alexandra was not to be told who her father was, and Erving was never to contact mother or child. Samantha received $4,000 a month until Alexandra turned 18, with a promise of private school tuition.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Im assuming the magic’s fake agent ended up stealing money from him. Can’t think of any other reason for him to have so much screen time

The agent and his daughter were both made up characters for the show. :francis:

That whole 3 Game Road Trip Sequence with losing to Indiana, getting blowed out by the Pistons, and the close win over the Celtics the next game was fake too. :francis:

iamduval

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The agent and his daughter were both made up characters for the show. :francis:

That whole 3 Game Road Trip Sequence with losing to Indiana, getting blowed out by the Pistons, and the close win over the Celtics the next game was fake too. :francis:

Yeah I figured the games were fake bc Westhead led them to the number one record in the west.

All this fake shyt is making it hard for me to watch now

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yeah I figured the games were fake bc Westhead led them to the number one record in the west.

All this fake shyt is making it hard for me to watch now

I'm there for the entertainment but I still think the show would have been great still without the fakin and exaggeration