Official WWE 2K16 Thread [gamescom gameplay footage]

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Last year was challenging for WWE 2K15, as console generation transitions often are for sports sims. On top of the challenges that come with re-building an established franchise to meet the expectations that come with new hardware, Visual Concepts and Yukes opted to radically change the gameplay direction of the long-running wrestling series. It was a lot to handle, and while our WWE 2K15 review gave it a lot of credit for improving the depth and overall pacing of matches, there was a lot of missing meat in terms of the roster and feature set. After sitting down with 2K and Visual Concepts, it's clear that bridging that content gap while continuing to make matches feel more like the real thing is the gameplan for WWE 2K16.

WWE 2K16 - First Gameplay
00:42

Probably the biggest piece of news is the roster, which will top out at over 120 unique playable characters. I asked what "unique" meant exactly, and I liked the answer: that in most cases, it means an actually different person, not several different versions of the same character. If the same performer has two completely different gimmicks, those would be counted as separate unique characters, but the same wrestler from different eras wouldn't count towards that 120. So, completely hypothetically, Dude Love, Cactus Jack, and Mankind would represent three unique characters, but 90s Triple H and current Triple H would actually be just one. Again, no confirmation about any of those names/eras, but hopefully that illustrates just how big this roster is gonna be. And yes, we already know that there will be current NXT members on the roster. Finn Bálor fans rejoice!

WWE 2K16 - Finn Bálor's Ring Entrance
02:57

What I'm most pleased with personally, is that they aren't turning back with the changes they've made to match pacing and overall gameplay - in fact, they're pushing further in the "simulation" direction. Chain grappling is back, and there are more transitions and moves now to reflect the abilities of the wrestlers involved. Chain grapples are also now impacted more by your wrestler's attribute values, and there can even be ties, resulting in breaks or cheap parting shots. More exciting is the addition of "working" grapples where the initiating wrestler can rest up and get some stamina back while draining his opponent's. It's a neat way of taking an element of in-ring performance and turning it into a useful gameplay mechanic.

WWE 2K16 - Seth Rollins' Full Ring Entrance
01:16

Reversals have long been a tough to balance element, either turning matches into a never-ending chain of non-moves, or being so tricky to use that one player ends up watching helplessly as they get beat to a pulp for minutes at a time. This year, two huge changes to how reversals work may actually solve the issue once and for all. You start each match with a limited stock of reversals. Once you use one, it will slowly regenerate over time, meaning that if you try to counter every move thrown your way, you'll be out in no time flat, leaving you completely vulnerable until one regenerates. What's more, you can now pass on your initial chance to reverse a move at its startup, and instead attempt a mosre difficult to time "major" reversal mid-move. It will cost you two reversal stocks, but the effects can be match-changing, debuffing your opponent in a variety of possible ways and giving you time to really turn things around.

That's it for the big gameplay additions, though there's a bunch of small, significant additions that are either all-new, or a much needed return for something 2K15 was missing. Let's round up the rest of what's been revealed about 2K16:

• MyCareer is back, and this time it goes a lot further, all the way to you gaining admission to the WWE Hall of Fame.
  • Create a Diva, Create a Show, Create an Arena, and Create a Championship are back in!
  • WWE Universe: Wrestlers can now be booked to multiple shows
  • Online has been "overhauled."
  • Three-man commentary team, with John "Bradshaw" Layfield joining King and Cole.
  • Ladder, handicap, and tornado tag match types added back in.
  • No loading screens between entrances, and you can assault opponents during their entrance!
  • Improved ref and manager AI.

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
image-2015-07-30-15-47-05jpg-73e678.jpg

image-2015-07-30-15-06-05jpg-434eab.jpg

image-2015-07-31-14-36-27jpg-434ead.jpg

Game is looking pretty good. For being a barebones game, wwe 2k15 was pretty fun

James Dean

All Star
Daps
Skipped 2K15 because those first version games are pretty bland.

2K16 gives them a year to regroup and reevaluate. Add on to the foundation they started.

Off to a good start. Not expecting too much overhaul on Gameplay as I heard it was pretty good in 15.

This year is about the rosters, bringing features back, and improving what they have.

Last edited:

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Back to the old days of n64 and creating hulk Hogan in WWF games hopefully move set is still in there

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Seems like they listened to the complaints since all the missing features are back in:myman: I always :russ: at how shytty the graphics look during the previews, then when i play it on my 60in smart tv it looks:ohlawd:

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Taken from NeoGAF forums, for all the sheep that fall for the hype every year

IGN WWE 12 Preview

SmackDown vs. Raw is dead, and THQ's fixing the stuff you complain about.

E3 2011: WWE '12 Rises - IGN

IGN Smackdown vs Raw 11 Preview

One match is never enough to judge a Smackdown game, but WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 seems like it's set to capitalize on what worked last year

E3 2010: WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 Preview - IGN

IGN Smackdown vs Raw 10 Preview

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010 has me very excited to play the final game. When I got my first hands-on with the title, the TV-like presentation had me jazzed, and the fact that this creation stuff is so slick is only adding to that feeling.

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010 Hands-on - IGN

IGN Smackdown vs Raw 09 Preview

On the surface, the match looked and played a lot like last year's. True, Orton an 'taker looked more detailed and sharper overall, but the chairs that were around ringside still had the same satisfying steel-to-skull sound and the controls stick with the tried-and-true thumbstick format. However, as the match wore on, the little tweaks began to shine through.

E3 2008: WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 Progress Report - IGN

IGN Smackdown vs Raw 08 Preview

After playing with the new controls ourselves we can attest that the single-button system keeps the matches fluid and fast-paced. It also helps that the new submission system is analog-based as well. How much pressure you apply and how quickly you pump your arms around someone's neck is now entirely up to you -- as is your defense to it, as escaping a grapple is handled with the analog sticks as well. All in all, it's definitely an improvement over last year's edition.

Pre-E3 2007: SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 Hands-on - IGN

IGN Smackdown vs Raw 07 Preview

What we did see was some extremely impressive visuals and the kind of action wrestling fans have grown to love from the Smackdown series.

Forget Edge/Foley, if you're looking for someone who stole the show Wrestlemania weekend, look no further than THQ.

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007: Eyes On - IGN

IGN Smackdown vs Raw 06 Preview

Officially known as WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2006 (a title meant to reflect its new direction towards a sports and simulation feel), the new game from Yuke's Media Creations and the Toy Headquarters is undoubtedly the most ambitious game in the series so far. The brand new momentum system, the addition of attributes like Stamina and Hardcore, improved reversal mechanics, enhanced online features, and a host of other cool improvements are just a few of the several-dozen extras planned for this year's wrestling extravaganza.

SmackDown vs. RAW 2006: World Premiere - IGN

IGN Smackdown vs Raw Preview

WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW is getting ready to hit the PS2 like a ton of bricks this fall. Easily one of the most, if not the most, anticipated sports game to come out this year, SmackDown! vs. RAW could very well have sales in the same unbelievable range as the previous entries in the series.

WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW Overload - IGN

IGN Smackdown Here Come The Pain Preview

WWE Smackdown! is quickly shaping up to become one of the greatest wrestling games ever made. Normally a statement that's met with a great deal of skepticism, the claim that THQ's fifth interpretation of the UPN television show can pull off such a feat is quickly becoming more and more accepted in the hardcore wrestling community.

WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain - IGN

IGN Smackdown Shut you Mouth Preview

We'll have to wait much longer for everything to come out in the wash, but most of what we saw today seemed fairly promising.

WWE SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth - IGN

IGN Smackdown Just Bring It Preview

WWF SmackDown! Just Bring It is a respectable effort from THQ and Yuke's.

WWF SmackDown! Just Bring It - IGN

IGN Smackdown Know you Role Preview

THQ delivered gameplay last time, and now they've delivered almost all the trimmings to go with it, including a very complete, up-to-date roster and a much-improved create-a-wrestler mode.

WWF Smackdown 2!: Know Your Role - IGN

IGN Smackdown Preview

With incredible graphics and a plethora of cool features, WWF Smackdown is, far and away, the best wrestling game on PlayStation.

WWF Smackdown - IGN

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dumb nikkas gonna fall for the same trash again and then be upset and shocked it's :fif:

Glad to see they're getting mileage out of that PS2 engine still
I'm mad that I even got 2k15 for ps4 and I got it discounted .

• Dap
Reactions: AJW

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Haven't bought a Yukes game since Here Comes the Pain on PS2
Then why are you in a 2k15 forum, and if you hate them so much why do you still play it? You said you haven't bought it but you didn't say you don't play them, and if you don't do either then how do you know they suck?:sas2:

Want to hear more about the CAW portion of the game. Are custom themes back? CAW entrance motions? :francis:
They can't put customs themes in if you can't rip songs onto the PS4/XBOX One, that's on Sony & Microsoft not VC.