Oldheads: how did y'all survive 1991???

TheHonorableOmarSharif

HOLGang President U.N.I.T. Representative
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte by way of Chucktown What
now, that i think about it, i got in my first fight in 1991. But, we made up after going to get honey buns and capri suns. Twas a simpler time. All off mama's jokes. ( to this day Josiah won't-say-his-last-name) and I are cool. It was cool being a kid then, not that I think about it. :pachaha:

Loggie

All Star
Daps
I was five in the Suburbs of San Diego. I stayed on base but it was open. Anybody could ride through. Paradise Hills/ Paradise Valley was no joke. They had Filipino gangs, crips and bloods. My older sister went to Bell and then Lincoln and shyt was always going down there.
:ohhh:
We were good where we were at though.
:ehh:

Loggie

All Star
Daps
What’s crazy is people are lots more fearful now cause social media and cameras everywhere make things seem worse.

My parents used to let me just go outside with no phone, no adults, and wouldn’t expect me back for hours.

Now, i don’t even let my kids walk to the store by themselves if i’m available to take them. And if they go by their selves i’m calling and checking their cell phone position the entire time.

I’ve had this convo with my mom. She’s always calling me and telling me to NOT let my kids go places by themselves.

I’m like, you used to send me out the house with $3, no phone, a bus pass, and a crazy murder rate in the city. :usure:
:wow:
From 3-7 we were unaccounted for. What a life.
:blessed:
Now we are parents who account for every minute of where our children are at.
:francis:
Raise kids in the new century Coli Brehs.
:mjcry:

Grand Cru Boo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk New Yawk
‘90 was crazier in NY

But I was 4 and didn’t know I lived in the ghetto. It all seem regular degular at the time

Plus my bros were older and kept me away from the shenanigans.

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
I was like 3 years old. Too young to be moving around on my own and obsessed with Beauty and the Beast.

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
Disagree. There was a spike in crime as a millennials came of age in the early 00’s. That was crack babies hitting their teens/early 20’s + X was big and had people crashing out. I actually believe all of our peaks in violence/crime tend to occur as a new generation started to come of age. Like right now, the spike in property crime coincides with gen z coming of age.
This is a fact. My last years in highschool/1st years in college my hometown had a whole gang war happening. We were still moving around and hanging out but it was definitely heightened awareness. Some of my classmates ended up dead or locked up and to your point about Gen Z coming of age, my little brother has also lost friends to the bullshyt. It's a shame.

Oldschooler

All Star
Daps
The early to mid 90s were a transition period for most major cities. Gangs and drugs were everywhere. Pre smartphone era you didn't know what you were getting to everytime you stepped out. shyt could go down real quick. Nikkas had knives and guns with them at all times.

Superstar
Daps
I was 6 living in Alief before moving to other places the next year. I didn’t worry about any of that shyt unless my dad took me to visit his friends who lived in more violent places.

If we were in the north or south sides nearest to downtown we would regularly hear gunshots or see police having lots of black men, from my age up to grown, in handcuffs, on the sidewalk.

I was playing in an alleyway with some of my dad’s friend’s sons and we saw the police and ran even at our age smh. Someone started shooting at a park up the block and they left us alone.

The only thing that we witnessed then was one of my mom’s students getting stomped out then shot immediately after.

We also bounced back and forth between metro Houston and metro Atlanta. It was probably my mind being more aware but I always felt like ‘92-96’ Atlanta and 93’-97’houston were worse than 91. I imagine Houston was probably a nightmare in the 80’s just from being too spread out to police.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was a kid but remember seeing two dead bodies on the side of the road on the school bus. My young mind couldn't process it then.