Opinion: Within 10-15 years, WWE will leave Cable and be pure Network

Discussion in 'TSC' started by MushroomX, Oct 23, 2016.

1. MushroomX

MushroomX Los Ingobernables de TSC Hall of Fame Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Wisconsin
    Coli Cash:
    $325013.00

Watching Ohio St. losing last night and the Cubs winning the pennant, I had this thought in my head.

WWE will eventually go FULL network, and this isn't on the product itself. This is mainly because of the concept of cord cutting. Within the last few years ESPN has had to fight the NFL/NCAA for programming rights, but what has happen is that many people don't need ESPN to view football or its highlights; so ESPN has released or let people like Skip and Simmons go because the return on investment is so low they are losing money. Even the Cubs who won, they didn't play their game on FOX, but instead FOX Sports 1, another cable venture because the ratings are not as good as they once were.

USA Network is NBC affiliate, and while they get NBC money to support, I think NBC/USA is thinking how much money it has lost by having WWE programming if the ratings are low but they have to pay for exclusivity. I also think at times there is tension tween Vince/HHH about their product where HHH wouldn't have people like the Crissley family on a Wrestling show as a means to promote USA's product. You can knock HHH all you want but its very clear that he prefers a authentic wrestling product, versus Vince's mixing of Entertainment value.

So either when Vince becomes a vegetable or he actually retires, I think HHH will push the product to full Network.

2. TL15

TL15 Veteran

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $225500.00

NBC/USA doesn't lose money because of WWE... Ratings are down but Raw Is one of their highest rated shows. None of their shows can compete with Monday night football because barely any shows can.

WWE will be its own network eventually, that's why they are developing content (original and rehashes) but there just isn't enough wrestling (yet) to support a 24 hour tv channel. Even if they acquire the library of TNA and start showing ROH, PWG, Evolve, etc, there just isn't enough content for 24 hours/ 7 days

Even if they add a show like "Sportscenter" there isn't enough news in wrestling.

3. Sypress

Sypress Superstar Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Chicago
    Coli Cash:
    $303030.18

Raw is their highest rated show but shows like Mr Robot are up there in ratings and doesn't cost them as much as the wwe tv rights

A couple of more shows like this and NBC/USA will have to ask themselves if the WWE is even worth it?

King P, richaveli83 and MushroomX dapped this.
  4. GunRanger

GunRanger Veteran

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $750500.00

Networks are paying out the ass for live sport content because they are DVR/cord cutting proof. People have to watch it live or miss out. A network will always pay for raw. Vince is the one who fukked up the last deal

5. The Great One

The Great One Swag Surfin

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $346411.00

Something you are missing is that USA and NBC universal love the fact they can throw out that USA is the #1 cable network on television, without RAW that doesnt happen.

Which is why they got them back from Spike all those years ago.

6. Fiend

Fiend Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $100500.00

I doubt they'll become Network exclusive but If that happens wouldn't they essentially kind of be fukked in a way?
    How would they gain new fans?

richaveli83 and MushroomX dapped this.
  7. Vinny Lupton

Vinny Lupton Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $134914.00

USA loves WWE. Even with the shyt ratings WWE is getting, it's the best thing they have. If they lost WWE they would get bumped out of the top 5 / top 10 cable ratings they get every week This week's cable ratings - Media Life Magazine

8. jackswstd

jackswstd Veteran Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Chicago
    Coli Cash:
    $665704.00

Vince will be what 86 by that time if he's still kickin, he's usually that far behind the times so timeframe sounds about right.

9. richaveli83

richaveli83 Veteran

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
    Coli Cash:
    $205587.00

I don't see Raw and Smackdown leaving cable TV. Even though Raw's ratings aren't as good as they were 10-15 years ago, Raw is still one of the highest rated programs on cable and the highest rated on USA. Besides reruns of Modern Family and SVU what else does USA have to offer besides Raw and Mr. Robot?

Plus it would be harder for people who have never watched wrestling to get into it if the only place to watch the WWE is through the network. A lot of people discovered wrestling in the 80s and 90s by just flipping channels one day and they discovered Superstars, Wrestling Challenge, WCW Saturday Night, Raw, etc one day and decided to keep watching.

10. TransJenner

TransJenner Banned

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

Do people still flip thru channels , I swear I haven't done this in years

Probably cuz satalite tv

mannyrs13 and MushroomX dapped this.
  11. El Cocodrilo

El Cocodrilo Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

thats actually a good question that i havent thought of before...

I think they would have to get something on netflix the same way they are already on hulu?

for sure they would need to kick more money into advertising

MushroomX dapped this.
  12. TheWhackMamba

TheWhackMamba The Coli's Drop Bear

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Western Australia
    Coli Cash:
    $141768.18

Coming soon, the www network for the low price of 99.99 a month

MushroomX dapped this.
  13. TheAlbionist

TheAlbionist All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    London
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

10-15 years, maybe... but I think you're underestimating how important network TV is to attracting NEW fans... the Network could eat for a while off its aging support-base, but unless people are getting put on by their older siblings or parents it'll eventually die with us.

Raw and Smackdown will essentially become adverts for the Network.

MushroomX dapped this.
  14. TRIPLE M

TRIPLE M This is Where the Power Lies

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345104.00

its not leaving cable
    but when they're streaming contract ends id bet that raw replays will be exclusive to the network

TripleAgent and MushroomX dapped this.
  15. StatUS

StatUS Superstar Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Everywhere
    Coli Cash:
    $386000.40

Mr robot doesn't get near the ratings Raw does.

woodrat dapped this.