Our Prison Population Is Getting Older and Older

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
Could programs like compassionate release provide refuge from a criminal-justice system run amok?

elderly-inmates-vera-ap-img.jpg

In parts of some state prison facilities, you’re less likely to encounter any dangerous convicts than you are to see someone who could be your grandparent. But even if they can barely walk, much less commit another crime, elderly prisoners often remain locked up for life.

For tens of thousands of seniors, a cell block is their equivalent of a retirement home. As the country reckons with the legacy of a generation of mass incarceration [SLAVERY], the Vera Institute of Justice argues that making the system more humane and less wasteful demands that imprisoned elderly people should be released, out of compassion for the individuals, and as as part of a broader structural effort to “decarcerate” society.

On a practical level, there is growing evidence that the practice of imprisonment of seniors is harmful, unhealthy, and unconnected to community safety, keeping families apart until death if they’re serving a life sentence or if their prison term simply outlives them. An orderly release back into society, with the appropriate social supports, is one of the least risky ways to reform a system that many see as an injustice to people at any age.
Most states now offer “compassionate release” processes, which allow selective release based on poor health or age (plus the unlikelihood of reoffending). But unforgiving criminal-justice policies have denied all but a tiny handful each year the dignity of passing away a free man or woman.

The aging crisis in prison is the fallout of an era of long sentences, driven by the brutal criminal-justice policies of the seemingly never-ending “war on drugs.” Now the surge in prisoners over the past several decades has erupted into a “gray wave” of more than 131,000 people age 55 or older in state prisons nationwide, housed at a cost of some $9 billion annually. By 2030, an estimated one in three people in federal or state prisons will be aged 55 or older—more than triple the proportion in the early 1990s. A survey of 42 state prison systems shows a spike in the elderly prison population by about one-third between 2007 and 2011.

For all the taxpayer funding the overcrowded, underfunded prison infrastructure absorbs, prison has become both one of the cruelest and most expensive ways of aging. The inmates bear the heaviest medical and social costs, locked in cramped quarters, sometimes with much younger inmates, and subject to psychological and physical abuse, neglect, and guards who may mistake symptoms of dementia for disobedience that calls for disciplinary measures. And although social contact is vital to preserve health for the incarcerated as well as the elderly in general, they are typically isolated from their long-estranged families and lack access to basic forms of recreation, even open space.

Many elderly inmates nevertheless face massive legal and bureaucratic barriers in applying for compassionate release. Often so-called “truth in sentencing” laws exclude people with certain convictions, like sexual offenses or capital murder, from compassionate release. Some states, seeking to trim prison costs, have in recent years revamped the procedures, with mixed results. For example, South Carolina expanded the medical-parole petition process in 2016 with more straightforward criteria, making eligible those who were terminally ill or “permanently incapacitated,” or individuals age 70 or older with a chronic debilitating condition. Only a handful of applicants were reviewed, resulting in nine releases. The main bottleneck isn’t the individual criteria but the harsh “truth in sentencing” provisions that preempt parole for many felony categories involving more severe convictions, including murder and some drug offenses. The long-term effect is unclear, but even a loosening of the rules would likely be eclipsed by overall trends: A major portion of the state prison population is now aged 55 or above, and this group has been growing since 2012.

Currently the burden of proof is on inmates to bring their own petitions, or, if they’re fortunate enough to get selected, prove that they are worthy of freedom. Rebecca Silber, program manager for special initiatives at Vera, says that states have a duty to proactively offer opportunities for emancipation: “There should be automatic triggers for release consideration once you hit a certain age, more training of and encouragement of correctional staff to put people forward, and more assistance for people to navigate the process.”

Whether elderly inmates are released or not, prison authorities could improve conditions for incarcerated seniors by simply ensuring that prison staff know how to handle the aging process. A specially designated medical “navigator” would be able to identify symptoms of illness or mental deterioration early in order to ensure immediate, appropriate care or management of chronic conditions.

Our Prison Population Is Getting Older and Older

This is going to become more apparent as time goes on. They have release programs for older people but rarely do they get let out. Amerikkka does not want to release people from her slavery prison plantations no matter what.

We have to keep spreading the word of abolitionism. Things have to change.

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
Stop whining and rebel ... talk is cheap

Nice edit....I'm not whining. I think you need to go find out what whining actually is...

Oh yea let me go up to the prisons gun in hand by myself and get shot or locked up.

I'm not going to stop making my abolition threads.

Slavery bothers me too but I'm doing what I can by using my voice spreading the message of abolitionism.

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
Damn shame... but all this talk is cheap:francis:

So Fredrick Douglass was a nobody?

All his talk was cheap?

We need the youth to be engaged in abolitionism...I have to talk to people on the Internet and in real life. What is your real issue. You want me to post BS threads is that is?

Explain yourself.

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Daps
wtf is the point of release at that point? :what:

you send a kid to jail for his entire adult life and expect him to fit into society as an old man? this man only knows prison. the fukk is he gonna do on the outside.:dahell:

either change the system so this shyt doesnt happen to begin with or :camby:

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Nice edit....I'm not whining. I think you need to go find out what whining actually is...

Oh yea let me go up to the prisons gun in hand by myself and get shot or locked up.

I'm not going to stop making my abolition threads.

Slavery bothers me too but I'm doing what I can by using my voice spreading the message of abolitionism.
I changed my mind. I edited it :manny: ...

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
So Fredrick Douglass was a nobody?

All his talk was cheap?

We need the youth to be engaged in abolitionism...I have to talk to people on the Internet and in real life. What is your real issue. You want me to post BS threads is that is?

Explain yourself.
Truly this is the place for b.s. threads... but if you post post real shyt post tangible solutions ...

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
Truly this is the place for b.s. threads... but if you post post real shyt post tangible solutions ...

Abolishing slavery is tangible.

If you think it's not... well you have some soul searching in store.

You can put me on ignore instead of whining in my abolition the thread saying I need to give you a solution. Become an abolitionist for starters.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Abolishing slavery is tangible.

If you think it's not... well you have some soul searching in store.

You can put me on ignore instead of whining in my abolition the thread saying I need to give you a solution. Become an abolitionist for starters.
You posted a concept not a list of what to do or how to, which would be must more useful.

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
You posted a concept not a list of what to do or how to, which would be must more useful.

You a grown man...

Nobody gave me orders to do what I'm doing now.

Go read the other thread I made today and get involved instead of looking at me to do something for you. Take the initiative.

I care so I'm putting in work by spreading these stories.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
You a grown man...

Nobody gave me orders to do what I'm doing now.

Go read the other thread I made today and get involved instead of looking at me to do something for you. Take the initiative.

I care so I'm putting in work by spreading these stories.
All of a sudden I'm grown. I guess you couldn't be bothered to apply that logic to the original article. What I say makes perfect sense ... if you post a detailed problem post a detailed solution.

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
All of a sudden I'm grown. I guess you couldn't be bothered to apply that logic to the original article. What I say makes perfect sense ... if you post a detailed problem post a detailed solution.

Be a man and do your own research.

I'm not giving you no list ok.

I'm speading the word... you complaining.

I'm not replying back to you so bye.