Outside Of Nas himself, no one has done more for his career than Hov, Jay saved his career

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Hov slowed down his raps because Nas/Wu made that shyt look wack.
It wasn't just Hov, it was the whole NY.
Hov was/is just the most obvious style jumper to date (outside of Draco Dudley)
From Nas to Young Chris.
The man does a great Shang Tsung to keep up with the times.
"Good artists imitate, great artists steal"

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Just reading through the thread...I just gotta say...

Nas was influenced by a lot of rappers...he mostly accredits Slick Rick, Rakim and G Rap for his style...

But as much as his ego wouldn't allow him to admit it...I think Tragedy Khadafi and Cormega had the biggest influence on his style.

If you listen to Live Motivator by Tragedy from 1986 and Cormega on Going Straight Up in 1989...it's very easy to hear the style similarity...everything from the types of metaphores and the flow. Plus everyne from QB said that those dudes were the rap kings back then around the way.

It's not hard to believe that Nas really respected them and actually looked up to them to a large extent when he was inventing his own style.

Trag yeah, Mega no. The thing is, we know Nas was rapping in 88/89 but we don't have audio. I think Trag influenced both Mega and Nas.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
:whew: all true...and everyone needs to know their lane and stay in their place.

I grew up withall my teen years in the 90s...I remember every year and just about the vibe, the style what was hot...what I slept, when I first heard certain artists, when I first bought the cassettes of certain classic albums etc etc.

And I will openly admit that while I can talk about it in detail all day long...I can't talk about some things in HH...like the early 80s Dana Dane, Roxanne Shante, Kool herc, Bambatta etc... mean I always knew of them, but there's just a certain depth to the discussion that I can't have with people that were there.

That's how I feel when someone under 30 wants to talk about 90s hip hop. IN MY EYES you can't just look at all of Nas's albums and say "this is the best one" without putting into a certain context imo...there's simply a certain perspective that's lost for someone who simply wasn't there to experience it as it was unfolding or when it came out.

There's a crazy storyline in Nas's career from about 1991 to 1999.
Repped

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
The fukked up part is that Jay actually won because winning to Jay was having Nas acknowledge his existence.

No...just no. That is the equivalent of some side chick getting pregnant and thinking she "won" because the dude has to acknowledge her. You just exposed Jay for how wack he was for his level of stannery. Dude was on some Single White Female sh!t. :scust:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
No...just no. That is the equivalent of some side chick getting pregnant and thinking she "won" because the dude has to acknowledge her. You just exposed Jay for how wack he was for his level of stannery. Dude was on some Single White Female sh!t. :scust:
That's the point he's making Breh.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Hov slowed down his raps because Nas/Wu made that shyt look wack.
It wasn't just Hov, it was the whole NY.
Hov was/is just the most obvious style jumper to date (outside of Draco Dudley)
From Nas to Young Chris.
The man does a great Shang Tsung to keep up with the times.
"Good artists imitate, great artists steal"
Yeah but Wu will tell you how influential Illmatic was. Look at how Method Man was rhyming on Method Man on 36.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
@mobbinfms

Wait a minute, so apparently NOBODY else was around for him to draw influences from but Nas? Nas wasn't the only one doing that introspective street shyt at the time either. Don't you think Hov also "caved in" to admitting he "bit his style" because of the pressure at the time? Of course, "Illmatic" has undeniable influence, yet you can't say it was his blueprint when once again KGR helped him make it. It wasn't ALL due to Nas, but Rakim as well, that's what I was saying. You guys blindly give him 100% credit ignoring the others who aren't credited, for paving the way for it to exist as an album.

The quote from KGR himself, implies he coached him. Because before Illmatic, he was always in his studio turning in demos and having his writing looked over by him for approval, and was mentored by him. Nas was more or less, 15 at the time only furthering the validity. So, this nikka was already arrogant enough at that age, still thinking he was totally capable of doing that without HIS instructions and guidance?

Execs even said "Yo, G Rap he sounds just like you :russ::gucci::jbhmm:", well that wasn't exactly a coincidence or unsubstantiated.

:mjgrin::dead:

Imagine if KGR wasn't around, you wouldn't even have Nas's first album, hell ANYONE else's NY first albums from 1991-1999 to begin with!

:mjpls:

They all borrowed from that template of his more than anyone, but you guys just gonna :cape:saying it was only Nas?

What that author falsely claimed is intellectual laziness. Hov wrote and recorded his first song around 1993-1994. There is no way in 1993, that he even heard of Illmatic being made at the same time, (he was writing for "Reasonable Doubt" anyways) regardless of who would drop albums in the next year. It's called "In My Lifetime", released in 1995, and yeah you can hear the "Das-Fu cadence" for a few lines, but overall that foreshadows what you'd hear on "Bring It On" (Jaz-O coincidentally is there, but whatever).

Him and Nas barely share resemblance as emcees, in style and artistry. "Ready To Die" sounds like a Brooklyn version of "Illmatic", not "Reasonable Doubt" which was dropped 3 years later. Mafioso Rap albums was the main trend at the time of 1995-1999, and neither of the 3 came up with that as originators - KGR did.

Nas was saying without them he would've not been shyt, yet he still incorporated their "triplet gimmick" in new ways, and quickly evolved his general style - that in no way is traceable to Nas. East Coast emcees wore their influences on their sleeves, so why is Nas acting like it's not entirely obvious who provided the template to his style too?

:snoop:

Hov didn't write his first album like "Illmatic" either, the structure and sequencing is different as well as the beat selection, flows, rhyme schemes, choices in topics, subject matter, lyrical expression/content/themes, etc. It was Mafioso Rap, NOT Street Rap.

I can hear what Nas took what other emcees, it's as clear as day, but Nas didn't introduce a "new style", he put his name on it and then everyone followed suit. So, from 1993-1996 Hov didn't do anything other than sample that one line to make "Dead Presidents". Which is perfectly fine, as Nas sampled a lot of lines from other NY Rap artists (Nas took Rakim's line from "Mahogany" during the scratches of "N.Y. State of Mind".) Their storytelling is different too, Hov is extremely cerebral and analytical, Nas was more interpersonal and observational. To me, Biggie sounds more Nas than anyone else at that period of time.
You guys make an exception for Hov as some "Buffet style biter", yet he still didn't copy Nas in anyway given his style for his first album, didn't even remotely sound like his to begin with. To conclude this Nas was 17, Hov was 24 and the age range itself shows the differences in writing approach for providing perspective and context.

:sas2:

At this point, I respect what you guys are saying, but given the literal "Hysteria" Nas mentioned on the album itself, that appears to still cloud judgment and provide a one-sided view of the era. It was an inaccurate portrayal of exact circumstances, there were certain factors involved like impact, but you both confuse it with "influence".

It's almost as if you guys make special exceptions for checking the credibility of some NYC artists, but not those like Nas who you willingly stan for.:ufdup:
If you're gonna pull a card, do that to one which makes sure the whole house falls down. Don't pull a card from the side or upper levels to have it appear, and change the course of history.

In this case KGR, Rakim, Kane, Run, LL, etc., were the foundation, while Nas and Hov were on the same row of cards above them.
It's more coincidental, that Nas and Hov were a few spaces away from each other.

But the Coli is obsessed with Nas and doesn't really care about stating HIS influences, which is like talking to a wall.
So I suppose that already makes my arguments moot, to be labeled as some dumbass "Camel stanning". If I get negged for any of what I aforementioned, that only proves my overall point that Nas stans are incapable of listening to reason and taking other people's points of view on evaluating facts and cultural trends, seriously.

:hubie:

Nas didn't even wear Pink until Cam made it popular, but am I gonna call him a "disrespectful biter"? :umad:

Later, brehs. Overall, I ain't even shytting on Nas, but damn some of you really do not like hearing what other users want to provide.

:whew:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
this:russ:...I was thinking about but I changed my mind:manny:
I mean look at this shyt here.
Nas didn't even wear Pink until Cam made it popular, but am I gonna call him a "disrespectful biter"?

Nas wore pink in 96. Cam popularized pink in 03. fukk is this kid even Talkin bout? Lol