PAWGS at Santa Barbara Yoga Studio Gives Out Do-Rags at 'Ghetto Fabulous' Class

WheresWallace

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Santa Barbara Yoga Studio Gives Out Do-Rags at 'Ghetto Fabulous' Class
ku-bigpic.jpg

A lily white yoga studio in idyllic Santa Barbara, California recently held a "Ghetto Fabulous" yoga class. In preparation, students were instructed to wear cornrows, snapback caps and heavy lipliner along with their lululemon leggings. Who knew gang signs could be so cute?! The invite promised to provide "various costumes" — there was a do-rag giveaway, attendees said — and "guaranteed belly laughs."

ku-medium.png

Power of Your Om Yoga Studio caters to the tony area's elite: a flashing announcement above the website's class listings announces that they "sell lululemon mats and mat carriers, Manduka mats, blocks and straps, Yogitoes towels, China Gel, Tanya-B Clothing and Power Yoga DVDs." Last week, the studio decided to mix it up and invite patrons to "come dressed in your favorite ghetto fabulous outfit, snap-back caps, corn rows, heavy lip liner or whatever you can dream up." For inspiration, they literally linked to a "How to Be Ghetto Fabulous" article from WikiHow, because no one at Power of Your Om Yoga Studio has ever met a black person in real life.

ku-xlarge.jpg
Expand

Outrage is brewing on the studio's Facebook page. One commenter repasted the original copy, which was even more tone-deaf, if you can believe it: "'Each month we will be featuring a new funky class...this month let's get ghetto fabulous! You sport the white tank, roll up one leg of your tight black pants, and we'll make sure to have a rockin' playlist bring the bling, lip liner and bandanas....seriously. This class has no extra charge. Just a chance to do something a little whacky.'"

ku-xlarge.jpg
1Expand

There are public photos all over Facebook of girls in yoga gear excitedly primping with their grills and flashing gang signs. Whacky!

ku-xlarge.jpg
Expand

" You should cancel this class and issue a public apology," one commenter wrote. "Or use the class time to have a discussion about racism. Changing the name is, pardon the pun, a form of white-washing. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves."

Another expanded: "The main reason this problem is even arising is because we have white people teaching an art form that originated in the Middle East/India. Like Miley Cyrus twerking, and minstrelsy (yes, you better believe it) they think that doing something 'ghetto fabulous' which is mocking and horribly racist, is supposed to be fun. The white mentality hasn't changed that much, it's just more subtle and acceptable. I'll be sure to tell my friends in that area to steer clear of this place for sure."

Here's owner Adrienne Hengels' response:

Thank you all for the eye-opening discussion and I do apologize for offending anyone - those of you that commented, emailed, and anyone else for that matter. The class happened and we are doing other themed classes in the future that may include various types of music/genres and we have made note to focus on the music versus singling out any group of human beings that has the potential to offend others as that was not the intention. I can see how it could be offensive and we do apologize for offending you or anyone.

It didn't go over well. "Wont be going to this studio. Looking for a good class. Any recommendations for non racist ones?" someone asked.

Link: http://jezebel.com/santa-barbara-yoga-studio-gives-out-do-rags-at-ghetto-1251090792T

:blessed: which one you c00ns would fukk these racist PAWGs regardless?

Flay Mayweather

Superstar
Daps
White people have a retro view on what ghetto is.... they trying to be 2005 black people. Miley got these fools thinking shaking ass and saying "yo" is ghetto.

But, when we come up and show them ghetto... we're the problem:stopitslime:

white folks mane' they hate nikkas but try to be nikkas

Last edited:

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
White people have a retro view on what ghetto is.... they trying to be 2005 black people. Miley got these fools thinking shaking ass and say "yo" is ghetto.

they always 5-10 years behind when they try to mock/imitate hip hop culture. In the mid to late 90s, they would wear track suits, with addidas and fat gold rope chains, while carrying a boombox. Or in the mid-2000s, they wore Fubu.

That group photo is disgusting, btw. And I see you, you fcking c00n bytch hiding in the corner with ya baboon lookin ass. You should be ashamed of yourself for participating in this nonsense. What kind of black people were responsible for raising that thing? BTW, the facebook messages went in on the mouth breathers who organized the class.

Flay Mayweather

Superstar
Daps
You guys have soiled the word PAWG on this soil.

so RAWG (Racist ass white girls) would be proper?

they always 5-10 years behind when they try to mock/imitate hip hop culture. In the mid to late 90s, they would wear track suits, with addidas and fat gold rope chains, while carrying a boombox. Or in the mid-2000s, they wore Fubu.

That group photo is disgusting, btw. And I see you, you fcking c00n bytch hiding in the corner with ya baboon lookin ass. You should be ashamed of yourself for participating in this nonsense. What kind of black people were responsible for raising that thing? BTW, the facebook messages went in on the mouth breathers who organized the class.

I see her too breh. She too busy trying to impress her white yoga buddies to not see she's who they think they're imitating. We gotta do better.

Y'all ever noticed every time cacs get caught doing racist ish; supposedly, they didn't know what they were doing was wrong?

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
scust at this black chick in the photo...

i bet those white people where like...Tanisha...nah scratch that...no chick with a semi hood name like Tanisha would be caught dead in that place...Valerie...yeah...thats a good female c00n name...I bet they were like "Valerie, take a look at my grill...is you know what I saying!" ( white people always put "is" in front of a sentence that is used to mock a culture )...and I bet this Valeria bytch was like " :russ::russ::queen:

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
Y'all ever noticed every time cacs get caught doing racist ish; supposedly, they didn't know what they were doing was wrong?

Racists have a knack for playing dumb. You saw it all throughout their commentary on the zimmerman trial. On some "oh, GZ was just a well meaning neighborhood watch guy" --- knowing full well if GZ stalked and killed one of their kids as they were walking home, they would feed his crazy ass to the lions.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
White people have a retro view on what ghetto is.... they trying to be 2005 black people. Miley got these fools thinking shaking ass and say "yo" is ghetto.

You hit the nail on the fukking head friend. I didn't even know how to describe it better myself. It's like some of these Cacs are so incredibly corny you can't even truly liable the shyt racism (in the traditional sense) you have to come up with an entirely new category for this sort of cultural ignorance

Flay Mayweather

Superstar
Daps
They should have never gave cacs the internet, they still using bling-bling and Beeeyotch

That's why I skeet:datazz: in their daughter's mouths... they love how a yung nikka taste:shaq:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

I saw that black woman in the corner and just:smh: