"PED Fiends Chasing That Free Smoke" Spence vs Peterson 1/20 SHOWTIME Fight Thread

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Didn’t mean as a flaw just different style.
How can I say... he pressures his opponents too but he doesn’t cut the ring off in a sense that he really wants to put his opponents to the ropes/corner, he’s comfortable with punching while he and/or the opponent moves, he doesn’t have that “sweet spot” where he’s effective, he’s good from multiple ranges. Of course if he meets someone signigicantly faster on foot than him not cutting it off can be a problem for him

It sounds like you're confusing "cornering" an opponent with cutting the ring off.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
It sounds like you're confusing "cornering" an opponent with cutting the ring off.
Cutting off the ring is about make your opponent’s space for movement/escape narrower and narrower, so if someone does that effectively the fight should go to the ropes or corner after a little time.

It also depends on the opponent of course, somebody won’t move away but stay in there or come at you but overall yeah I feel Golovkin emphasize this tactic more than Spence, he often takes it until his opponent is on a steady place in the corner or ropes, Spence less so, he punches on the move more than Golovkin. I really don’t mean this as a criticism btw just I think while both are pressure fighters they are different as well.

You don’t have to agree though that’s just my observation.

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cutting off the ring is about make your opponent’s space for movement/escape narrower and narrower, so if someone does that effectively the fight should go to the ropes or corner after a little time.

It also depends on the opponent of course, somebody won’t move away but stay in there or come at you but overall yeah I feel Golovkin emphasize this tactic more than Spence, he often takes it until his opponent is on a steady place in the corner or ropes, Spence less so, he punches on the move more than Golovkin. I really don’t mean this as a criticism btw just I think while both are pressure fighters they are different as well.

You don’t have to agree though that’s just my observation.

I dig what you're saying. However, Spence forces his opponents to fight/engage for damn near the full 3 mins. I'm sure there have been plenty of them that wanted to take a break or escape the mental pressure of engagement....yet I haven't seen anyone do it yet. He's like a boa constrictor and closes your space of not fighting as the fight goes on and forces you to be mentally engaged all fight. The main example I can use is Algieri. Even though he was catching the beats by Manny, he was able to escape and have moments of non engagement when he wanted to. He was able to turn and escape from Khan when he wanted to. With Spence, he couldn't find spots to hide. And I'm sure its not because he just followed behind Algieri all night. He was cutting the ring off very effectively.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
eventual beatdown aside Brook did a lot of things well in that fight n might have low key showed a few weaknesses. Now are those weakness any current 147lber can exploit is the issue :francis: I don't see it but crazier things have happened.
i dont think so. i think spence can be beat. but i think anybody can be beat.

what?

RisAri0

<<dunno what swag means
Daps
Spence doesn't necessarily cut the ring off. If anything he just knows the distance to get his punches off, most likely walking his opponent down.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
Spence doesn't necessarily cut the ring off. If anything he just knows the distance to get his punches off, most likely walking his opponent down.

He literally runs after nikkas at times :heh:

i dont think so. i think spence can be beat. but i think anybody can be beat.

what?

I'm not saying he can't be beat I just don't think the current crop of 147lbers can beat him. I'm not including Crawford because I need to see him fight a few times at 147 before making any judgments on him.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
I still don't get wtf PED was doing...in that gif that's how I spar with my son for a minute or 2 to let him get confidence...let him tee off on me while i cover up N even then after a while my brain gets
:martin::whoa:

Can't imagine letting Spence do that in 8oz MX Everlast :dahell:
I think his strategy was to tire Spence out and then pick it up in the later rounds?

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
The fight is up on youtube don't know if you brothers saw it. Watching it back was amazing.

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset
I still don't get wtf PED was doing...in that gif that's how I spar with my son for a minute or 2 to let him get confidence...let him tee off on me while i cover up N even then after a while my brain gets
:martin::whoa:

Can't imagine letting Spence do that in 8oz MX Everlast :dahell:
Peterson can only really fight coming forward, there is a myth because he's tall n black that he could fight off the jab and back foot

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I need to rewatch the fight fully looking at some highlights and you're right

D3vJ3mB.gif

D3vJ3mB.gif

I know everyone has a different school of thinking but I was taught always leave your left hand out a lil more than normal against a southpaw because that is either enough to parry their jab or come over the top of their jab and vice versa for a southpaw, that lead hand fighting makes it easier to steal a shot from your power hand.

you're right about the stealing and turning Brook did both

1iD7lL1.gif

LJj7okQ.gif

eventual beatdown aside Brook did a lot of things well in that fight n might have low key showed a few weaknesses. Now are those weakness any current 147lber can exploit is the issue :francis: I don't see it but crazier things have happened.

PED did something that I believe @Yuzo might’ve mentioned in the past where he had success & even backed Spence off him by making him pay a price for going to his body. Spence got clipped several times in the fight but PED didn’t have the power to really get that respect. I could see Thurman doing that & hurting Spence bad if not turning his lights out with a shot like that

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset
Peterson can fight off the back foot. He did it vs Garcia very well for about 3/4ths of the fight.
Thats the 3/4 of the fight he was clearly losing, he didnt start winning until he used his sized and started coming forward....If you think Lamont can box any see the Khan fight, he's a clinch fighter with below average pop, who uses his weight to wear fighters down.....