Pete Rock- Petestrumentals 2 (Stream + Discussion Thread)

El Jefe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
sum of this is nice , there is def some gems .. but alot of it isnt on LvL of Petes earlier stuff .. know alot of producers now adays doin similar stuff n its lil hard to see how petes doin it much better

bit of overkill for mines

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I don't wanna get shyt on for my opinion here. I feel like I need to make it really clear that Pete is in my Top 5. I don't dislike the tape at all. I do think that other producers are doing more interesting things with instrumentals and beat tapes in terms of pushing the boundaries and making them more like actual projects. It's hard to listen to some Dilla, madlin, or Alchemist beat tapes from the late 00's to now and not feel like the beats on this just run a bit too long and get a bit repetitive. Nothing wrong with the actual beats. Lotta fire. I just wish most of these capped at about 2 mins. I Wish is one of my favorites on here, but I had to skip before the 4:17 run time.

Petestrumentals got me into beats, and Pete was an architect for instrumental albums and beat tapes. I just would rather listen to something that has a theme and a lot of change ups and variations in every beat. Alchemist (Israeli Salad), Flying Lotus, Madlib (Beat Konducta 0-6 series)---some of these guys are doing beat tapes where it sounds like each beat is a part of one giant song, which I don't really get on this here. Probably not a fair criticism to compare it to anything but itself though.

To keep it positive, some of my favorites on here are Heaven & Earth, Beat Goes On, Clap Ya Hands, I Wish, Air Smoov, Gonna Love You (dope chops in there), 90s Class Act, Accelerate, Play Yo Horn, and You Know Dat.

I give it a 3-3.5/5. I'll listen some more.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
@TheDarceKnight said what I was thinking, but I'm still feeling this tape and will support. Pete laid the foundation for so many others to follow, and while he stopped innovating a while ago, I'm glad him and Large Pro are still putting out solid projects to keep their legacies alive

Exactly. And I also meant to add that I still think this type of beat tape is in the majority. I've listened to some beat tapes recently from Havoc, 9th Wonder, Illmind, Khrysis,and Jake One. They didn't really have themes or change ups all through the beat. So I'm not even saying Pete Rock fell way behind. I just think there are a few dudes pushing the envelope a bit more.

I also need to give this a listen with some better speakers/headphones. It doesn't sound as warm/earthy as some of his other beats but I also don't have the best headphones right now.