Pete Rock- Petestrumentals 2 (Stream + Discussion Thread)

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I don't wanna get shyt on for my opinion here. I feel like I need to make it really clear that Pete is in my Top 5. I don't dislike the tape at all. I do think that other producers are doing more interesting things with instrumentals and beat tapes in terms of pushing the boundaries and making them more like actual projects. It's hard to listen to some Dilla, madlin, or Alchemist beat tapes from the late 00's to now and not feel like the beats on this just run a bit too long and get a bit repetitive. Nothing wrong with the actual beats. Lotta fire. I just wish most of these capped at about 2 mins. I Wish is one of my favorites on here, but I had to skip before the 4:17 run time.

Petestrumentals got me into beats, and Pete was an architect for instrumental albums and beat tapes. I just would rather listen to something that has a theme and a lot of change ups and variations in every beat. Alchemist (Israeli Salad), Flying Lotus, Madlib (Beat Konducta 0-6 series)---some of these guys are doing beat tapes where it sounds like each beat is a part of one giant song, which I don't really get on this here. Probably not a fair criticism to compare it to anything but itself though.

To keep it positive, some of my favorites on here are Heaven & Earth, Beat Goes On, Clap Ya Hands, I Wish, Air Smoov, Gonna Love You (dope chops in there), 90s Class Act, Accelerate, Play Yo Horn, and You Know Dat.

I give it a 3-3.5/5. I'll listen some more.

i agree this new pete tape is pretty boring i mean. The instrumental hiphop genre has evolved onto a whole new level especially with cats like flying lotus, afta 1. I mean listen to some of these joints and compare to the new pete tape. People that claim boom bap production is dated now, need to listen to some these tracks im about to post. DarceKnight i know you will think they are dope.

Here is cat name Afta- 1, he is one of the dopest producers out now

The beat on this track just takes you on a journey, the beat is a story and it never just loops.

Now here another dope cat named Portformat, all his beats tell a story as well

This track right here jams!! lol

Freddie Joachim

This track is looped also, but how he edits the tracks with all the effects makes the song not sound linear

DJ Mart-Kos

All Star
Daps
I do agree with the beats being very monotonous and other cats being more creative these days

Daps
PR been in the game over 20yrs.. 20yrs, and cats just cant be happy he put out a project without comparing it to some other new cats.. :snoop:

i fukk with the project, and will support.. thats all i got to say.. could give a damn less whos doing what, where.. let them do them, and just respect this mans legacy & the fact hes still putting out quality music..

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
@darealvelle Thx for putting me on to Afta-1. I'll rep when I'm able too. Says I gotta slow down. Never heard of him but I like those beats.

What happen to Pete rock vs dj premier project?

Been hearing about it since maybe even before this side of 2010. Preem said last year it's still in the works. Who knows? Most of it probably sounds pretty dated? I know there was a GZA/Preem joint and a 50 Cent/Preem joint. It was supposed to be 6 Pete and 6 Preem joints.

This is the last article I can find on it, from 12/6/14 - http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.31656/title.dj-premier-confirms-joint-album-with-pete-rock-for-2015

PR been in the game over 20yrs.. 20yrs, and cats just cant be happy he put out a project without comparing it to some other new cats.. :snoop:

i fukk with the project, and will support.. thats all i got to say.. could give a damn less whos doing what, where.. let them do them, and just respect this mans legacy & the fact hes still putting out quality music..

Didn't mean to compare too hard. I'm glad he dropped it and it will most certainly be knocking for the next couple weeks! I can't speak for anyone else but hopefully everything is said with love/respect. Pete will always be top 5 to me and the one of the first producers to get me into production with Petestrumentals and producer compilations with Soul Survivor.

Also, thanks for making and stickying this thread. I think it would've dropped way too low if you didn't sticky it.