the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
Link to article
FI71sZAXoAg-dEJ

Philadelphia City Council is poised to ban the wearing of ski masks in certain public spaces this week, a move that police say could help them solve more crimes and stop more pedestrians they suspect of being involved in criminal activity.

The measure is cosponsored by 10 members, more than the majority needed to pass the bill Thursday. Authored by Councilmember Anthony Phillips, who represents parts of Northwest and Northeast Philadelphia, the bill allows the city to fine people $250 for wearing ski masks in parks, schools, and on public transit. There are carve-outs for religious expression and “First Amendment activities” like protesting.

It comes as Council has raised a handful of measures aimed at showing it’s responsive to constituent concerns, especially around crime and public safety. But the ski mask ban has nonetheless drawn criticism from some, and the ACLU says it could violate free expression rights and be misused by officers stopping and frisking pedestrians — a controversial but legal law enforcement tactic that’s been embraced by Mayor-elect Cherelle Parker.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
No one NEEDS a Shiesty to survive the winter and I'm from Chi

I from Chicago as well and nikkas don’t NEED scarfs, gloves, longjohns, etc… to survive either but it a reason why these accessories exist. I remember my ski mask used to be full of snot as a kid cause it would be cold as fukk and my nose would be running and shyt. Point is people been wearing ski mask since forever for cold weather. They just also happen to be a good way to conceal your identity if you wanna do crime

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Give the government to infringe on basic rights no matter how absurd will lead to living in a communist Chinese hell hole.