Production is the best it's ever been. Discuss.

SheriffOG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
I have been off hop / rap a little for the last two years but still keep up with the front runners a little bit. I am a huge fan of classic production and older producers (Dilla, Premo, Timbo etc.) just top get that out of the way:hubie:

With the recent uprising of new rap which the majority claim is utter trash etc there must be a reason why these guys are doing so well and i feel like it's production. This is by no means a secret to most listeners but i the average standard on some beats now are amazing. A lot of it is bass lead and very "Trappy" but we been given some piff. I did not realise how good some of the production was till just had a day chillin listening to some instrumentals while blazing every two minutes rising to hit that
axc67RF.gif

It doesn't even have to be obscure or outlandish tacks now, in your face stuff like:

:wow::wow::wow:

Just wanted to put it out to the Coli brehs as i was thinking about it today? Is production as good as it has been and are we blessed right now or nah? What you guys saying?:jbhmm:Salute.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
I used to be skeptical of this, but Ive come around. The truth is, that 90% of the classic hip hop production formulas have been deciphered. If you like soulful hip hop, you can hear amazing soul samples with superior sound quality, mixing, drum compression, and compositional elements you wouldn't hear 10 years ago.

There are only a handful of styles that haven't been reverse engineered. 36 Chambers, The Chronic, Enta Da Stage, The Infamous and 3 Ft High and Rising and Kakusei (DJ Krush)are the most notable albums in that category

These artists were doing specific things that no other artists would be inclined to do. Aint no one fukking with Kung Fu Samples, and no one is blending old school Psy-Trance with hardcore hip hop (DJ Krush). In Prince Paul's case, no one can afford to use 6 samples in a track

Black Moons production style just went outta fashion real quick

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
I think the sound quality "better" in terms of being clearer.

But if you look at what these producers have access to today, the production is weak IMO. With all the power they have at their finger tips, they only use 5% max.

Renegade47

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
North South East West
I think the sound quality "better" in terms of being clearer.

But if you look at what these producers have access to today, the production is weak IMO. With all the power they have at their finger tips, they only use 5% max.
true

first time i heard this

i was like "got damn this beat is amazing" :wow:

listened to it yesterday and was :scust:

it gets boring quick.

edit:1:18 still :wow: tho

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
true

first time i heard this

i was like "got damn this beat is amazing" :wow:

listened to it yesterday and was :scust:

it gets boring quick.

edit:1:18 still :wow: tho

This was released in 1982 and the production is way better. Listen to the clarity and balance. I'm listening on a laptop and I can hear every detail.

Today we have full studio's in our computers and we have regressed.

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
I think u mean style of production.

I mean everytime I hear a huge song ,most times its a sample.

so I don't think we have better original composers today just like in the 90's for the most part.

style is subjective imo....I mean u cant pin point music alotta times cause its such taste/emotional/personal driven imo.

but yes the sound is a lot more hi def due to way better engineering. so technically production in some ways are better overall cause so many advancements.

plus when it comes to hip hop u gotta look at how the Mainstream culture changed.(which started slowly in the late 90's too)

people don't care about the skills or ghostwriting like that no more....all they want is the "crazy beat" and that's what the industry is givin them.lol

Last edited:

Propaganda

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Engineering IMO.

A lot of production to me is only really dope because of how the sounds are engineered.

I feel like arrangements of the past were somewhat better tho.

why do you think past arrangements were better? what made them better? can you provide a ___ vs. ___ example? and just so you know, i'm not trying to 'challenge' you or fight for either side or anything...i'm asking cuz i'm genuinely curious of your take on things.

in fact, i'm generally curious about everybody's take. it's an interesting topic.

SheriffOG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
This was released in 1982 and the production is way better. Listen to the clarity and balance. I'm listening on a laptop and I can hear every detail.

Today we have full studio's in our computers and we have regressed.

i see your point, Of the last decade with the technology which beat have you heard that makes you feel that the producer has made use of it well? :jbhmm:

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
I want to hear more instruments in production not just a bunch of 808s and synthy space sounds. The beats you posted as examples are boring as hell.

I feel like this is one of the best produced beats in the last 10 years. This is truly some next level Rap production.

That's the type of shyt the average beat maker just can't duplicate watching YouTube how to videos. I think JL should have ran with that sound way more.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
It's really not.

Like, the sounds are crazier of course, but that's due to technology.

People are still trying to get the kind of basslines Pete Rock made. Dilla joints are timeless.
The production skills from 1990-2000 > Guys with ableton.

DAWs are like jet engines compared to SP-1200s, the ability to compose those beats with 10 sec sample time is :wow:

DJ Mart-Kos

All Star
Daps
I think beats where better 10 years ago to be honest.
The compositions where better cause they sampled real live bands/instruments played by real musicians. Now it sounds simple and at times kinda cheap and recycled but that's just my opinion.
I like the older rapsound better like some G-Funk or some Pete Rock type sound.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I am just a casual fan when it comes to the details so the sound quality doesn't turn me on enough to overcome just the actual track itself.

I like samples.

I don't like keyboard beats in general.

So I haven't heard anything that strikes me as better than my golden era shyt.

And I haven't bothered to hunt for new shyt.

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
I want to hear more instruments in production not just a bunch of 808s and synthy space sounds. The beats you posted as examples are boring as hell.

I feel like this is one of the best produced beats in the last 10 years. This is truly some next level Rap production.

That's the type of shyt the average beat maker just can't duplicate watching YouTube how to videos. I think JL should have ran with that sound way more.

yeah ross gotta go back with justice league....:banderas: