Pusha T talks about working with Madlib

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Gibbs laid a blueprint.

Not mad, hope more people do this actually.

One producer, one rapper

No filler.

It's the best way to do an album imo. Find a producer that really knows and fukks with your sound, allowing them to craft some unique shyt around it and then boom.

too much music is dictated by hype

Gonna be weird when this turns out better than Daytona and ye having his hands all on it.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
It's the best way to do an album imo. Find a producer that really knows and fukks with your sound, allowing them to craft some unique shyt around it and then boom.

Gonna be weird when this turns out better than Daytona and ye having his hands all on it.

It really won't though :manny: The amount of albums Madlib has done from top to bottom since 2000 is crazy.

Soundpieces: Da Antidote
The Unseen
The Further Aventures Of Lord Quas
Seeds
A Lil Light
Perserverance
Ode To The Ghetto
O.J. Simpson
Madvillainy
Pinata
Bandana
Liberation
In Search Of Stoney Jackson
The rumoured Mac Miller album

Not even counting 'Champion Sound' either. Or the jazz and broken beat projects.

And that's leaving out The Medicine Show joints too. shyt is squarely in his lane.

Last edited:

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
It really won't though :manny: The amount of albums Madlib has done from top to bottom since 2000 is crazy.

Soundpieces: Da Antidote
The Unseen
The Further Aventures Of Lord Quas
Seeds
A Lil Light
Perserverance
Ode To The Ghetto
O.J. Simpson
Madvillainy
Pinata
Bandana
Liberation
In Search Of Stoney Jackson

Not even counting 'Champion Sound' either and I'm likely missing some too.

And that's leaving out The Medicine Show joints too shyt is squarely in his lane.

Yeah, good point actually.

I wonder how much his stock has gone up as of late? His phone has to be buzzing right now as keeps lining up some great music

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

I wonder how much his stock has gone up as of late? His phone has to be buzzing right now as keeps lining up some great music
I’m pretty sure he turns down a lot of work. He’s notoriously reclusive and only likes to work with particular people and even then, only on his time and at his convenience. From what I hear he has bursts where he wants to work with people and then longer stretches where he doesn’t.

He probably has a cell phone at this point but for a long time he only had a house phone and was either at home making music or going to the aquarium to trip on shrooms.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

It really is the ideal way.

I don’t think many people will be surprised if it’s better than Daytona. At least not on here. Madlib is pretty much considered not only the best producer out on this board, but he’s considered a lot better than Kanye.

I really like Daytona a lot by the way. One of my favorite releases of 2018

• Dap
Reactions: 904

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps

I always got the idea that he doesn't really buy into the hype. It's been years since 'No More Parties in LA' which is probably the most commercially visible song he's done.

Someone on here said he has a song with Anderson Paak and Rihanna in the vault.

In the past couple of months, he's had the 'Black Mirror' joint with Mr. Muthafukkin eXquire and I heard Erykah Badu looping up something he gave her on IG Live while doing a cover of 'All Night Long' by The Mary Jane Girls and there's an album with Westside Gunn on the way, so I'd guess he stays busy.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Gibbs is not the first rapper to work with one producer on an album. Madlib worked with DOOM for the Madvillainy album more than 10 years ago. 9th Wonder, Alchemist, Ski Beatz also are known for producing an artist whole album.
Yup that actually used to sort of be the norm. Like Marley Marl doing Mama Said Knock You Out. Erick Sermon and Redman. One of the big deals about Illmatic is that it had various big name producers on it. That shyt was kinda unheard of at the time