Quick question regarding weight loss

BelieveBeOK

Superstar
Daps
Did some Google research and couldn't find an answer anywhere.

I'm trying to maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight. (I'm looking to lose about 15kg or 33lbs in the next 7-8 months)

What I need to know is, what percentage of the calories I eat do I need to burn off in the gym in order to be in a deficit?

So, for example, if I consume 2000 calories a day, do I need to burn it all off working out or can I leave some of the work to my metabolism? And if so, how much do I leave to my metabolism?

Additional information, if needed, I work out 4-5 times a week. I spend 45 minutes doing cardio and 25 minutes doing mild weight training.

Daps
*This is generic weight loss advice, and should be taken with many grains of salt. There are a lot of factors that make this advice kind of useless, but can be a good starting point if you're completely lost*

With that said...

In a nutshell, first figure out the amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight. Once you do that, reduce your calories either through eating less and/or working out. "They" usually recommend cutting out 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week. So, if you burn 500 calories at the gym everyday (or 3,500 per week), then you should lose a pound. What you eat is more important that calories burned in the gym (since its hard to get an accurate calculation), so focus your attention on your food. Myfitness pal is a good app to track calories/macros.

BelieveBeOK

Superstar
Daps
*This is generic weight loss advice, and should be taken with many grains of salt. There are a lot of factors that make this advice kind of useless, but can be a good starting point if you're completely lost*

With that said...

In a nutshell, first figure out the amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight. Once you do that, reduce your calories either through eating less and/or working out. "They" usually recommend cutting out 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week. So, if you burn 500 calories at the gym everyday (or 3,500 per week), then you should lose a pound. What you eat is more important that calories burned in the gym (since its hard to get an accurate calculation), so focus your attention on your food. Myfitness pal is a good app to track calories/macros.

Thanks for the reply. I've been using the Samsung Health app on my phone to keep track of the calories I eat.

Obviously you can't provide a precise answer to this next question, seeing as how there are many different body types etc. but for someone who is 1.75m (5 foot 7 in) tall, weighing 90kg (198lbs) would you consider 2000 calories a day to be too much to eat? As I said, I'm pretty active and work out 4-5 times a week. I've already lost about 7kg in 8 or so weeks but could/should I do better?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
There are a couple of things

First of all 7kg (15.4lbs for us yanks) in 8 weeks is a LOT. You aren't going to be able to sustain that kind of weight loss over a long period without losing a ton of strength and muscle. So you are doing more than OK, though you mite be due for a crash.

As far as how many calories your metabolism burns.... for someone your size who is not in a deficit you are probably burning anywhere from 1800-2400 out of the gym. I don't know how much cardio you do or how active you are but that seems like a fair guess. So your metabolism does the heavy lifting. If you are burning most of your caloreis in the gym u are doing something wrong.

Something else to consider coming back to my first point... when u are in a cut ur metabolism slows down. So eventually 2000 will be your maintenance. And u will feel sluggish and weak AF. So like I was saying if you are cutting for a long time you will need to take a week or two off every couple of months. Eat at 300-400 than your stalled calories, let your body reset, and then get back at it. That will help u keep ur strength and sanity and keep pushing.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Thanks for the reply. I've been using the Samsung Health app on my phone to keep track of the calories I eat.

Obviously you can't provide a precise answer to this next question, seeing as how there are many different body types etc. but for someone who is 1.75m (5 foot 7 in) tall, weighing 90kg (198lbs) would you consider 2000 calories a day to be too much to eat? As I said, I'm pretty active and work out 4-5 times a week. I've already lost about 7kg in 8 or so weeks but could/should I do better?
2000 cals at that height/weight and activity level seems low.

The number one question is why are you trying to lose and what is the goal. Number on the scale? Body composition? Answer those truthfully and it will lead you to the best method.