Rate This City: Day 45 - Kansas City

Rate: Kansas City

• Total voters

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Anyone live here I’m going to be looking for a house to rent next month so I can move in October.

I’m Trying to make my money stretch but want to be in a good area for the kids activities also school district. Oldest goes to public and 2 younger are in private but the Missouri school system is better so I’ll likely try them out in public school.

My position is a lot of telework but I have to live somewhere within this region Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas. And I choose kc over St. Louis due to the proximity to my actual hq office. None of the other places are really an option.

COLI MANDINGO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
Anyone live here I’m going to be looking for a house to rent next month so I can move in October.

I’m Trying to make my money stretch but want to be in a good area for the kids activities also school district. Oldest goes to public and 2 younger are in private but the Missouri school system is better so I’ll likely try them out in public school.

My position is a lot of telework but I have to live somewhere within this region Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas. And I choose kc over St. Louis due to the proximity to my actual hq office. None of the other places are really an option.
I grew up in Kansas City. What’s your question? As far as schools, University Academy is one of the better schools in the city. I went there… not sure how much it has changed. My cousin goes to Kaufman college prep and he seems pretty good. My sister went to academie Lafayette-your kids will come out fluent in French. Everything is taught in French. Good school.
Private school—pembroke hill is good too but that’s a high school. Overland Park, Shawnee mission (all of those suburbs have better/ some of the best schools)

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: hex

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I grew up in Kansas City. What’s your question? As far as schools, University Academy is one of the better schools in the city. I went there… not sure how much it has changed. My cousin goes to Kaufman college prep and he seems pretty good. My sister went to academie Lafayette-your kids will come out fluent in French. Everything is taught in French. Good school.
Private school—pembroke hill is good too but that’s a high school. Overland Park, Shawnee mission (all of those suburbs have better/ some of the best schools)

My youngest are elementary aged. Are there any areas to stay away from?

COLI MANDINGO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
My youngest are elementary aged. Are there any areas to stay away from?
Do you mean in terms of living and buying a house? Many people are moving to North Kansas City--Many new homes out there. Kansas City isn't terribly dangerous but I'd say to stay away from Prospect Ave (If you drive through, you'll see why or check google maps street view.) Pretty much everything west of Troost Ave is pretty nice/middle class. It's kind of a divider. One side is lower income (the East side of Troost but you can still find some gems. It's becoming gentrified. and Many whites moving into those neighborhoods). But I wouldn't raise a family on or near Prospect Ave. In the city, I'd raise my family in brookside, Ward Parkway--outside the City would be overland park, shawnee mission, leawood,, grandview and all of those neighboring suburbs etc... pretty much no crime. I think Wyandotte County in Kansas has rough patches but, I'm not familiar with there

Things have really slowed down. I barely see kids out in the neighborhoods like I used to when I was growing up.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Do you mean in terms of living and buying a house? Many people are moving to North Kansas City--Many new homes out there. Kansas City isn't terribly dangerous but I'd say to stay away from Prospect Ave (If you drive through, you'll see why or check google maps street view.) Pretty much everything west of Troost Ave is pretty nice/middle class. It's kind of a divider. One side is lower income (the East side of Troost but you can still find some gems. It's becoming gentrified. and Many whites moving into those neighborhoods). But I wouldn't raise a family on or near Prospect Ave. In the city, I'd raise my family in brookside, Ward Parkway--outside the City would be overland park, shawnee mission, leawood,, grandview and all of those neighboring suburbs etc... pretty much no crime. I think Wyandotte County in Kansas has rough patches but, I'm not familiar with there

Things have really slowed down. I barely see kids out in the neighborhoods like I used to when I was growing up.
Yes as far as living I’m not purchasing a home this time I just got a quad plex and I doubt I find anyone who will let me purchase. I’m just planning on being in KC for 24-36 months.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Where did you grow up?

I lived all over midtown (30th and Charlotte, 36th and Virginia, Linwood & Warwick) for 20+ years. Went to Central, Westport, and Paseo. Graduated in 1995.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
@NatiboyB

As far as your question, I would avoid midtown altogether. Midtown = anywhere 5-10 minutes away from downtown.

Downtown itself is cool as it has the Power & Light (a $900 million entertainment district) with nice lofts/luxury apartments.

Not saying every part of midtown is grimy but it's not worth rolling the dice. Especially for an out of towner. And things get progressively worse east of Troost, due to redlining.

Lee's Summit and Grandview are nice. They're not "KC" per se but they're part of the larger metro area and within 20-30 minutes of basically anywhere in KC proper. I hear good things about North KC too, but I don't have any personal experience.

@SunZoo what say you?

Fred.

COLI MANDINGO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
Where did you grow up?

I lived all over midtown (30th and Charlotte, 36th and Virginia, Linwood & Warwick) for 20+ years. Went to Central, Westport, and Paseo. Graduated in 1995.

Fred.
I grew up on 57th and highland. I never lived anywhere else in KC. I Went to border star and troost for elementary and then University academy for middle and highschool.

• Dap

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
If you told me weed would be legal coming up, I woulda laughed. I’m still in shock
Missouri is so damn weird. Vote for liberal policies like recreational weed and voting against anti union amendments that are super liberal, but put in recac politicians that are against these measures. I bet a pro abortion measure could pass here, but Parson threw a party when the Supreme Court overturned Roe. shyt never makes sense in this state.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Missouri is so damn weird. Vote for liberal policies like recreational weed and voting against anti union amendments that are super liberal, but put in recac politicians that are against these measures. I bet a pro abortion measure could pass here, but Parson threw a party when the Supreme Court overturned Roe. shyt never makes sense in this state.
That’s them bootheel mf’s and the rest of the boonies dragging shyt

• Dap