Rate this HBCU Day 54: Jackson State University

How would you rate Jackson State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 2 11.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 3 17.6%

Votes: 4 23.5%

Votes: 2 11.8%

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Jackson_State_University_seal.png
320px-Jackson_State_University_logo.png

We last profiled Elizabeth City State University which received an average score of 7.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we head to Jackson, Mississippi---to cover Jackson State University no less. Jackson State is the most well-known HBCU in Mississippi and now one of the most well-known HBCUs nationally due to the coverage it got during Coach Deion "Prime" Sanders tenure as football coach.

Jackson State is interesting as a state school in that the majority of its students are from out of state, with Illinois sending the largest group. This is partially due to its well-earned reputation in fields like engineering, business and education but also due to out of state tuition only being $1,000 more than in-state, and still under $10k. In fact for the higher paid fields like engineering and accounting, Jackson State really is a best buy for payment vs. employment outcomes.

Like many HBCUs, Jackson State has religious roots as Natchez Seminary, founded by Baptists in Natchez, MS. A decade later it moved to Jackson and became Jackson College. After the Depression it became a public funded state school and has grown since. It was a hotbed of activism in the Civil Rights movement and two students were killed by police gunfire during a demonstration. Its marching band and football team are renowned rising in popularity and notoriety in the last few years. Almost unique among HBCUs, some its marching bands and Prancing J'Settes videos have millions of viewers on Youtube likely making them a de facto ambassador for HBCU band culture.

Jackson State, like all HBCUs, has its share of issues, and has been for better or worse the poster boy for HBCU issues in finances and facilities issues due to criticisms and debate caused by Coach Prime and his plans to depart. Jackson State is hardly the only with such issue nor the worse but has been put front and center in the debate. The Mississippi legislature probably isn't rushing to do them any favors either. The former president, Thomas Hudson, has received a "no confidence" vote and been placed on leave as part of the fallout in recent months. Hopefully this will lead to real change and better governance rather than a PR show to appease critics. However, the Tigers have continued to produce great graduates and a great school culture throughout all times and will undoubtedly continue to do so.

Founded: 1877

City, State: Jackson, MS

Type: 4-year Public

Nickname: Tigers

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 7,080 (4,763 undergraduate) , 97% Black

Part-time student percentage: 15%

First Generation Student Percentage: 32%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 65% / 4%

Out of State Percentage: 65% (top states: Illinois (16%), Louisiana (7%), Tennessee (7%), Georgia, Alabama, Texas)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 15:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 62%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 29% / 39%

Transfer out rate: N/A

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 35% male/ 65% female (1.86:1)

Tuition: In-State: $8.5k, Out-of-State: $9.5k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $29k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $15k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $35k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Civil Engineering: $67k, Computer Engineering: $66k, Computer Science: $57k, Accounting: $39k, Education: $37k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Biology, Social Work, Criminal Justice, Health Administration, Business Administration, Computer Engineering, Civil Engineering

Endowment: ~$60M

Alumni Engagement: 13% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: SWAC (NCAA Div 1)

Mascot: Sonny Thee Tiger

Jackson_State_Tigers_logo_t750x550.jpg

Notable Alumni:

Walter Payton - legendary NFL running back
Walter_Payton_Bears.png

Rod Paige - former Secretary of Education (2001-05)
182px-Rod_Paige.jpg

Shasta Averyhardt - LPGA golfer
59cd2c514ae751189f62fc37_Shasta-Averyhardt.jpg

Tony Yarber - former Mayor of Jackson, MS
29907272-tony-yarber.jpg

Main Campus
WYE2SP7TDZAIVOMDQVLF2WAPJE.png

Jackson-State-University-Roundabout.jpeg

Student Center
maxresdefault.jpg

New College of Engineering
JSU-CSET-building.jpg

College of Business
Screen-Shot-2019-04-08-at-2.33.08-PM.png

Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium
swac-championship-game-at-jackson-state-scaled.jpg

T.E. Williams Athletic and Assembly Gymnasium
IMG_2609.JPG

Sonic Boom Marching Band
maxresdefault.jpg

E5USJ2ZMG5DUFDDXVO5NUC5QNY.jpg

Cheerleaders

Prancing J-Settes Dancers
f71157c7990f84a94a293fb131682b8e--jackson-state-university-marching-bands.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Miss Jackson State

meaedit21.jpg

@Fukwatutalkinwatisaylaw @Theolodius_Black @LordCashmere
@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Johnny seawolf

Theolodius_Black

Whoopin suckas with a bag of oranges
Daps
Reppin
Brookhaven,MS to Tallyho, FL
Thee I love :wow:

Proud alumni as is my brother @Sonic Boom of the South :wow:

Proud member of thee Sonic Boom

7:unimpressed:

Those earning numbers are way off btw. Alumni do a horrible job of reporting back to the university as we do with our giving

Dorms need updating, resource allocation wasn’t the best (more of a state issue but leadership is well documented for their share of blame), post graduate work was phenomenal. Tigers2work helped not only with free resume service, but consistently posted and emailed about job opportunities and held career fairs. College of Business was top notch and my homeboy vouched for the school of engineering. Campus safety was very iffy. I experienced financial aid issues first hand. I was between Moore and Roberts more than I care to mention. The bullet holes from the National guard firing on students at Alexander are still there ( that site should be emphasized for importance but it’s not. I didn’t know until my mom, a fellow alumni, told me)

JSU, just like the city of Jackson itself, can be described best with one word : potential. Could easily be a top university, pwi or otherwise, with better leadership and direction.

Theolodius_Black

Daps
Reppin
High or low? The earnings numbers are from the Department of Education but I am not sure if they come from the school or data on graduates who had Pell Grants or Stafford Loans.
Low. I could see some of the data matching those of us who still live in state but even still, particularly computer and civil engineering, that’s on the low side. I’d be curious to see what they have listed for biz admin grads. I knew a girl I graduated with that started at Vertex outside Jackson and that hefer was booming from day 1 out there.

Theolodius_Black

Daps
Reppin
If you want to see a Black civil war, come to my family reunion and ask which school is the best between Jackson State and Alcorn State.
You're better off cutting your partner's little joker in a spades game!
:whoa:
Same lol

I got first second and third generation Alcorn in my family. JSU I think we stop at 2nd gen ( me and a few cousins)

It’s just sports sporting cuz major wise, the schools couldn’t be any more different if they tried. I don’t even think alcorn school of business was accredited when I graduated high school. They certainly didn’t have a marketing program so wasn’t no point in me going. Hell of an agriculture program though.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Low. I could see some of the data matching those of us who still live in state but even still, particularly computer and civil engineering, that’s on the low side. I’d be curious to see what they have listed for biz admin grads. I knew a girl I graduated with that started at Vertex outside Jackson and that hefer was booming from day 1 out there.

Business was at $30k. Yeah it could be folks staying in-state.

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter

May 15, 1970: Jackson State Killings​

Time Periods: People’s Movement: 1961 - 1974​

On May 15, 1970, the police opened fire shortly after midnight on students (and passersby) in a May 14 protest of the U.S. invasion of Cambodia during the Vietnam War at Jackson State College in Mississippi. Twelve students were wounded and two (21-year-old law student Phillip Lafayette Gibbs and 17-year-old high school student James Earl Green) were killed.

Jackson-State-Univeristy-Killings-Zinn-Education-Project.jpg

This happened after Medgar Evers murder

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I missed the poll but I woulda gave these chumps a 8.

A fantastic school with a rich tradition. One of most well known & respected HBCUs. Their education department is pretty good as well as their music department. I may be wrong but I think they’re the only HBCU that offers meteorology as a major & as a result they’re among the top producers of black meteorologist. If any of you brehs or brehettes have kids or younger relatives in meteorology, tell them to look into Jackson State..most meteorologists work for government agencies or they can go the TV weather man route.

Sports wise they’re with or right behind FAMU, Grambling and Southern as far as legacies & winning tradition goes.

Hate to say it but their band is amazing. Shoutout to the breh @Theolodius_Black. The only clean L I’ve ever been apart of in my HBCU marching band career was against JSU at the Gulf Coast Classic in 06 but we got that ass back in 08 in Atlanta :wow:
Band wise they’ve been the best since 2014 I wanna say, but IMO Southern took that crown for the previous season. JSU was probably #2 behind them but I wouldn’t be surprised if The Boom is #1 again next season.

They’re probably the only other HBCU I “hate” along with Alabama A&M. Their alum & fans talk so much shyt, & this was before Deion! They talk like they’re the Bama or Ohio State of HBCU football, & they’ve been like that since the 70s :mjlol:

They cool folks tho I love Mississippi & the folks there.