Rate this HBCU Day 54: Jackson State University

How would you rate Jackson State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 2 11.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 3 17.6%

Votes: 4 23.5%

Votes: 2 11.8%

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The head drum major is not black....why didn't you post his picture? :mjlol:

The drum major is Mexican at El Universidad Estatal de Jackson:

That shyt is crazy:why:

.you got a Mexican as your leader of a black band.... diversity at its finest

When the face of a famous HBCU marching band is no longer black...:mjgrin:

Mark my words....you will see more of this...

He just graduated. They held auditions for the next head DM, and he’s black.

nikkas never stepped foot on an HBCU campus or donated any money to any HBCU yet y’all wanna talk shyt bout someone who earned that spot :mjlol:

He wasn’t the first non black person to be head drum major at a HBCU & he won’t be the last.

Seem like the only ones who had an issue with Marvin being the head director are nikkas who didn’t go to HBCUs or were never apart of any HBCU band :dead:

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps

nikkas never stepped foot on an HBCU campus or donated any money to any HBCU yet y’all wanna talk shyt bout someone who earned that spot :mjlol:

He wasn’t the first non black person to be head drum major at a HBCU & he won’t be the last.

Seem like the only ones who had an issue with Marvin being the head director are nikkas who didn’t go to HBCUs or were never apart of any HBCU band :dead:

I was in THE marching 100 from 2002-2004...our drum majors were ALL BLACK......I also graduated from FAMU.

:mjlol: you thought you had a reply huh? :mjgrin:

Keep dikkriding Mexicans in an HBCU.....

please reply cornball

Last edited:

Theolodius_Black

Whoopin suckas with a bag of oranges
Daps
Reppin
Brookhaven,MS to Tallyho, FL
I was in THE marching 100 from 2002-2004...our drum majors were ALL BLACK......I also graduated from FAMU.

:mjlol: you thought you had a reply huh? :mjgrin:

Keep dikkriding Medicans in an HBCU.....

please reply cornball
Bet. I got time.

You know damn well head drum majors don’t reduce the culture nor pride of your band program. That scound could’ve been purple #2. As long as he pledged to be apart of the legacy of the Boom, uphold our pledge, and show admiration and appreciation for the program and be a leader, that’s all that matters.

You and I chopped it up about this shyt before. Shared photos in uniform, pause:dame: before the jokes fly lol, cuz boys was trying to clown the cape. Can confirm this brother is black by the way.

Hell when you were marching, you sat across from Morris brown. Guess what they had in 03? White drum major. Called that man white chocolate if memory serves. Cringe aside, it didn’t change them, didn’t change Langston when they had one, didn’t change Bama state, and it doesn’t change when you have white members. I’m in Tally right now brethren. Have you seen the 100 lately? Cuz there’s some salt sprinkled in with that historical legendary pepper :russ:

shyt, I saw white kids in the jukebox. Never thought I’d see the day. And God forbid you look up Texas southern and prairie view.

My point is, and this is no shade cuz I fux with you homie you know that, this shyt will never change us or what we do. It’s no threat to our culture, to our growth, to our legacy. The Boom is Great. The 100 is Great. shyt we all have a story to tell that’s still being written and that shyt is beautiful to me.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Bet. I got time.

You know damn well head drum majors don’t reduce the culture nor pride of your band program. That scound could’ve been purple #2. As long as he pledged to be apart of the legacy of the Boom, uphold our pledge, and show admiration and appreciation for the program and be a leader, that’s all that matters.

You and I chopped it up about this shyt before. Shared photos in uniform, pause:dame: before the jokes fly lol, cuz boys was trying to clown the cape. Can confirm this brother is black by the way.

Hell when you were marching, you sat across from Morris brown. Guess what they had in 03? White drum major. Called that man white chocolate if memory serves. Cringe aside, it didn’t change them, didn’t change Langston when they had one, didn’t change Bama state, and it doesn’t change when you have white members. I’m in Tally right now brethren. Have you seen the 100 lately? Cuz there’s some salt sprinkled in with that historical legendary pepper :russ:

shyt, I saw white kids in the jukebox. Never thought I’d see the day. And God forbid you look up Texas southern and prairie view.

My point is, and this is no shade cuz I fux with you homie you know that, this shyt will never change us or what we do. It’s no threat to our culture, to our growth, to our legacy. The Boom is Great. The 100 is Great. shyt we all have a story to tell that’s still being written and that shyt is beautiful to me.

When I was in thr band there was 2 white folks in it...out of like 300 or so. It was what it was. I'm very well aware of now that there are more.

What you said is correct to a point however it is problematic because when you say it does not reduce price or admiration that is just false. Let's imagine that FAMU who when I was marching had 8 drum majors...all black and all over 6ft tall said let's swap them all out for white folk. With your logic...the same pride and admiration will be there at the random battle of bands on A Sunday..at the same classics....at the same homecoming.....at thr 2 a day practices and night sessions....thats a damn lie.

I and others looked up to those guys because they looked like us and we were in this "thing" that was a black thing.....they also direct and tell nikkas what to do

This is not athletics...the Marching bands have been staples with the black community for decades.

No disrespect to the guy...Im sure he worked his butt off.

Unfortunately folks are comfortable having the faces and leaders/reps of HBCU marching bands not look like us

I'm not....some things I'm just not with all the inclusiveness on

Theolodius_Black

Daps
Reppin
When I was in thr band there was 2 white folks in it...out of like 300 or so. It was what it was. I'm very well aware of now that there are more.

What you said is correct to a point however it is problematic because when you say it does not reduce price or admiration that is just false. Let's imagine that FAMU who when I was marching had 8 drum majors...all black and all over 6ft tall said let's swap them all out for white folk. With your logic...the same pride and admiration will be there at the random battle of bands on A Sunday..at the same classics....at the same homecoming.....at thr 2 a day practices and night sessions....thats a damn lie.

I and others looked up to those guys because they looked like us and we were in this "thing" that was a black thing.....they also direct and tell nikkas what to do

This is not athletics...the Marching bands have been staples with the black community for decades.

No disrespect to the guy...Im sure he worked his butt off.

Unfortunately folks are comfortable having the faces and leaders/reps of HBCU marching bands not look like us

I'm not....some things I'm just not with all the inclusiveness on
If they were all 9 of them boys were white, that would be odd but what’s the odds of that happening? Zero to none. Having one out of 9 be anything other than black however wouldn’t stop the 100 show or anybody elses. If I’m being honest, it make randoms and gdis more interested cuz the shyt would stand out. And I’m 1000 percent certain y’all would crank Bob Marley or Just Got Paid regardless of who in front directing. Right or wrong?

There will forever be people that look like us doing this. The majority will always look like us. Hell I love when folks try and judge us until they hear somebody like Norfolk.

I respect what you’re saying. You wish to protect that legacy and you believe black leaders of black anything should be black. You’re not wrong. I’m just not willing to decry this as neither destructive nor deadly to our future nor our culture.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
If they were all 9 of them boys were white, that would be odd but what’s the odds of that happening? Zero to none. Having one out of 9 be anything other than black however wouldn’t stop the 100 show or anybody elses. If I’m being honest, it make randoms and gdis more interested cuz the shyt would stand out. And I’m 1000 percent certain y’all would crank Bob Marley or Just Got Paid regardless of who in front directing. Right or wrong?

There will forever be people that look like us doing this. The majority will always look like us. Hell I love when folks try and judge us until they hear somebody like Norfolk.

I respect what you’re saying. You wish to protect that legacy and you believe black leaders of black anything should be black. You’re not wrong. I’m just not willing to decry this as neither destructive nor deadly to our future nor our culture.

See that's the problem...1 is cute but why not all of the drum majors?

Anything that puts the legacy in question should always be scrutinized.

Black people just have no loyalty to each other...its in everyday life and for the purposes of this conversation....a drum major at a historically. Black college.

I saw Howard's drumline being led by a white boy with red hair. When they were setting up...he got out of formation to put other nikkas in line....I shook my head

Imagine some 20 year olds going through college in the stands being told to shut the fukk up because they talking too much by a Caucasian

We need to remember these are HBCUs

Smh...

Last edited:

Theolodius_Black

Daps
Reppin
See that's the problem...1 is cute but why not all of the drum majors?

Anything that puts the legacy in question should always be scrutinized.

Black people just have no loyalty to each other...its in everyday life and for the purposes of this conversation....a drum major at a historically. Black college.

I saw Howard's drumline being led by a white boy with red hair. When they were setting up...he got out of formation to put other nikkas in line....I shook my head

Imagine some 20 year olds going through college in the stands being told to shut the fukk up because they talking too much by a Caucasian

We need to remember these are HBCUs

Smh...
Historically does not equal exclusively. That’s the “segregation” that white people claim hbcus are and I will always stand against that and declare that as false. We are educational institutions, with historical importance to African Americans and educating young black minds will always be at the forefront, but we do not turn away others like they did us. period. Remember when they thought we weren’t good enough to educate anyone? Equated us to community colleges? Now we lead in research, grad schools are multi-ethnic. That diversity comes with respect brother, not a lack of loyalty. Respect for our culture, our educators, our work, and what we continue to build at these institutions.

I just watched something on Facebook not too long ago where famu did a small performance. First person in after the drum major? White snare drummer. My respect for the program didn’t decrease. Didn’t nobody get up and leave. Folks stood, in respect and awe, because the 100 is the 100, and no amount of pale faces change that.

No one’s loyalty came into question by dude being there.

We may just have to disagree on this philosophically my brother. Again, I get it. I really do. I just don’t see this as a detriment.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Historically does not equal exclusively. That’s the “segregation” that white people claim hbcus are and I will always stand against that and declare that as false. We are educational institutions, with historical importance to African Americans and educating young black minds will always be at the forefront, but we do not turn away others like they did us. period. Remember when they thought we weren’t good enough to educate anyone? Equated us to community colleges? Now we lead in research, grad schools are multi-ethnic. That diversity comes with respect brother, not a lack of loyalty. Respect for our culture, our educators, our work, and what we continue to build at these institutions.

I just watched something on Facebook not too long ago where famu did a small performance. First person in after the drum major? White snare drummer. My respect for the program didn’t decrease. Didn’t nobody get up and leave. Folks stood, in respect and awe, because the 100 is the 100, and no amount of pale faces change that.

No one’s loyalty came into question by dude being there.

We may just have to disagree on this philosophically my brother. Again, I get it. I really do. I just don’t see this as a detriment.

Agree to disagree

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great profile of JSU.
The out of state numbers are eye opening, and it means that it's a national school with a national profile.

Those Illinois numbers seem to represent descendants of the Great Migration route of MS-to-Chicago returning back to a high profile institution.
Excellent value for out of state students. Though I'm sure a few of those IL students used their grandmother's aunt's residence in MS to qualify for in-state rate. hehehehehehe
Jackson state is to chicago like NCAT is to DC/Maryland or Grambling is to Cali.

And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the bolded actually happens quite a bit. Lol

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter

I went to Grambling, it's well known on here that I went to Grambling, also Grambling never had a White Drum major lol

It's been happening.

I graduated from Grambling in 2011 and back then they were sprinking in Non-Blacks and now our womens soccer team has a white coach and half of the soccer team is Non-Black American:

Grambling_Soccer_Smiles_win.jpg

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
There's a shuck and jive element on the board that the mods allow, and encourage. They ruin everything that they touch, including positive threads about Black universities. That is who gave those 1 star ratings.

Yeah, there was a string of 1-stars around post 25 or so on every single school with no comment. If the 1s are given without reason and are way out of league of other ratings, I don't use them with the average. If someone justifies a 1, I am fine with it counting.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Jackson state is to chicago like NCAT is to DC/Maryland or Grambling is to Cali.

And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the bolded actually happens quite a bit. Lol

I just checked this and hadn't realized it earlier. Yeah, Cali is second after TX for Grambling out of state--6% of the total.