Rate this HBCU Day 57: Alabama State University

How would you rate Alabama State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 6 50.0%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
240px-Alabama_State_University_seal.svg.png
320px-Alabama_State_University_wordmark.svg.png

Yesterday we covered Virginia Union University which received an average score of 6.75.

See the updated leaderboard here

This is for you @staticshock and @skylove4

We now head to Montgomery, Alabama to cover the large Alabama HBCU and Alabama A&M rival, Alabama State University. Alabama State has its origins in the community of freed slaves in Marion, AL. Realizing they needed teachers to educate their children for a better future, they raised $335 at a dinner in 1866 and sent a request to the American Missionary Association for a teacher. AMA sent them a White Union veteran Thomas Steward who was the first principal at the new school and also later a Republican state legislator during Reconstruction. At the same time, nine Black men filed incorporation papers for the Lincoln School of Marion which became official in 1867. It was soon after named Lincoln Normal School and became a state supported public school in 1874. Steward was dismissed after Reconstruction due to his political activism in favor of Black education. The school moved to Montgomery in 1887 and was forced to change its name by an Alabama State Supreme Court ruling to the Normal School for Colored Students due to a technicality surrounding its founding act as a public institution. It did not become Alabama State University until 1969.

Alabama State not only trained teachers, it educated Black students. As late as 1915, Alabama State was one of only four schools in the state of Alabama that offered grade 9-12 education to Blacks (Alabama A&M was another). All others stopped in middle school or lower high school. ASU continues as a valuable school training teachers to this day graduating several dozen students majoring in education per year.

Having one of the most renowned bands and dancers amongst HBCUs, the Marching Hornets and Stingettes (my lawd just look at the YT video stills) are among the more popular groups and have been frequently shown in the Battle of the Bands, TV/movies, and social media.

Founded: 1867

City, State: Montgomery, AL

Type: 4-year, Public

Nickname: Hornets/Lady Hornets

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment:3,964 (3,499 undergraduate), 93% Black

Part-time student percentage: 13%

First Generation Student Percentage: 34%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 61% / 4%

Out of State Percentage: 44% (Top States: Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Tennessee, California)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 13:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 98%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 16% / 28%

Transfer out rate: 36%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 35% male/ 65% female (1.9:1)

Tuition: In-state: $11k, Out-of-state: $19k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $31k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $24k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $32k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Information Science: $36k, Education: $33k, Rehabilitation/Therapeutic Professions: $31k, Social Work: $31k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business/Accounting, Biology, Criminology, Liberal Arts, Visual and Performing Arts

Endowment: $101M

Alumni Engagement: 2.9% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: SWAC (NCAA Div 1)

Mascot: Hornets

320px-Alabama_State_Hornets_logo.svg.png

Main Campus
image.aspx27.jpeg

Levi Watkins Learning Center
ASU-Learning-Center_0.jpg

Bibb Graves Hall
ASU_Bibb_Graves_Hall_June_09_02.jpg

Equinox Sculpture
1024px-ASU_Equinox_sculpture_June09.jpg

John Garrick Hardy Student Center
dsc_5010.jpg

Stadium
crop

Dunn-Oliver Acadome
48293944021_9f3cd1b99f_b.jpg

Mighty Marching Hornets Marching Band
AAMU-10-of-13.jpg

5b8cbc4099c86.image.jpg

Cheerleaders
ASU-Cheerleaders-056893.jpg

ASU_cheer_team.jpg

Stingettes Dance Team
Screen-Shot-2022-10-26-at-1.43.21-PM.png

DU7TFHPPKVDWTFPMLOBZ25LTHI.png

Miss Alabama State
Miss%20ASU%20photo_0.jpg

Miss%20ASU.JPG

Miss%20ASU%20robinson_aleah_050422%20%282%29.jpg

@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Johnny seawolf

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Notable Alumni:
Ralph David Abernathy - major Civil Rights activist and preacher
173px-Ralph_Abernathy.jpg

Rickey Smiley - comedian and actor
200px-Rickey_Smiley_2019.png

Fred Shuttleworth - founder of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)
144px-Fred_Shuttlesworth.jpg

Quinton Ross- former ASU president and Alabama State senator
Quinton_Ross_2019.jpg

2 Chainz - Rapper
176px-2_Chainz_at_Pretty_Girls_Like_Trap_Music_Tour.jpg

Lil Yachty - Rapper
184px-Lil_Yachty_cropped.jpg

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
:hubie: Academically the school is kinda meh but a couple of years ago there was this shorty named Dr. Kamika who works in urology for NYHQ. She went to Alabama state university and I will never forget her because shorty was breathtaking.

:hubie: Off of that I’m giving this school at least a 7. I believe that thick shorty teacher bae also went there.

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Everytime I go visit my parents in Mississippi, I see parts of the school from i85. One of my real good friends went to nearby Huntington, and when I’d go hang with him, I’d stop and explore ASU’s campus. Nice looking campus.

Admission rate is pretty high. You’re pretty much getting accepted if you apply.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Notable Alumni:
Ralph David Abernathy - major Civil Rights activist and preacher
173px-Ralph_Abernathy.jpg

Rickey Smiley - comedian and actor
200px-Rickey_Smiley_2019.png

Fred Shuttleworth - founder of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)
144px-Fred_Shuttlesworth.jpg

Quinton Ross- former ASU president and Alabama State senator
Quinton_Ross_2019.jpg

2 Chainz - Rapper
176px-2_Chainz_at_Pretty_Girls_Like_Trap_Music_Tour.jpg

Lil Yachty - Rapper
184px-Lil_Yachty_cropped.jpg

Rosa Parks went to Bama State too but left before she graduated to care for a sick family member. She probably my favorite alum. Her and Deelisious :wow:

Campus has changed so much like my breh @skylove4 said. When I was there, the dorms I stayed in had community style restrooms. Each hallway had 2 restrooms with like 5 sinks, 8 toilets & 6 showers. Imagine having to share a toilet and shower with 20 other dudes :hhh: glad they tore those down & the kids there now have suite style dorms.

I can write a book on what I did down there on & off campus :wow:

Probably the most fun I’ve ever had in my life.

The alum giving rate is unacceptable smh. I’m guilty I haven’t donated in a few years but I’ll do something later this year.

I don’t even know where to start lol. I’ll drop some info & stories later

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
@staticshock

Looking forward to more of the stories, but also, what was Montgomery like at the time? For me, it’s just a city I drive through 3/4 times a year, and stop to fill up. Did y’all have a lot of the natives hitting up campus and campus parties?

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
How was your time there breh?
Honestly nothing like it is now. They had a raggedy indoor gym called the sweat box because that shyt was so hot. The student union was super outdated, nothing like the kids have now , but I’m happy for them with all the upgrades. My first dorm was Card Hall, it was terrible but nothing like Benson which looked like a New York slum building. Having said that I loved every minute and wouldn’t trade it for the world. I actually toured most HBCU’S with a group from as far north as Delaware state and as far south as Bethune. Every school doing the presentation besides ASU was very formal.When we pulled into Montgomery they were having a mixer and I had never saw so many stupid fat ole asses:ohlawd:, I knew then I would be a Hornet :myman:

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
I grew up in that area and know the state senator personally.

Pros

Bama State has a very strong legacy as part of the cradle of the Civil rights movement and has produced many important leaders in the community.

State has some baddies on that campus, I'm not sure if it's because they have one of best teaching programs of HBCUs, but you won't be short on women

Montgomery has a very high black population so there are plenty of us to connect with.

They are pouring alot of money into the football program which is lead by a former NFL player.

Cons

It's located in Montgomery, AL a good 1.5 hours from the closest real airport. There isn't much to do in the city and it's fairly slow.

State has some corruption issues and several of its leaders over the past 20 years have been indicted on federal charges.

They have been slow to update facilities including labs and dorms

Bama A&M and Tuskegee have better programs almost across the board

Strong 6.5

Last edited: