Rate this HBCU Day 57: Alabama State University

How would you rate Alabama State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 6 50.0%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
For degrees, I'm still up in the air honestly. I'd like to get a degree in Finance, Business, Business Admin, International Business or SCM.

What di you think of getting a bachelor's in Finance, and a master's in SCM?

That is kinda what I did. I did business undergrad concentrating in finance and managenent info systems and did a MBA in SCM and Ops. I think that will be good since finance knowledge is crucial in SCM and separates glorified buyers from real SCM personnel. It makes you flexible too. You can always take SCM classes on the side even if you major in finance or even double concentrate in both.

If you want to do SCM, one thing you should also get is a certification. I would reccomend the CSCP from ASCM since it requires no experience. If you can use your Navy time as 5 years supply chain experience the ISM CPSM is probably the best certification but has work experience eligibility requirements. Study materials for both are expensive but you can get them at many libraries.

So you could get the Finance degree or dual degree and then get a masters and CSCP at the same time or just got for the CSCP if you are taking a break before grad school.

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
That is kinda what I did. I did business undergrad concentrating in finance and managenent info systems and did a MBA in SCM and Ops. I think that will be good since finance knowledge is crucial in SCM and separates glorified buyers from real SCM personnel. It makes you flexible too. You can always take SCM classes on the side even if you major in finance or even double concentrate in both.

If you want to do SCM, one thing you should also get is a certification. I would reccomend the CSCP from ASCM since it requires no experience. If you can use your Navy time as 5 years supply chain experience the ISM CPSM is probably the best certification but has work experience eligibility requirements. Study materials for both are expensive but you can get them at many libraries.

So you could get the Finance degree or dual degree and then get a masters and CSCP at the same time or just got for the CSCP if you are taking a break before grad school.
Gotcha. I was looking at getting both the CSCP and CPIM before I get out.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Late July-early August, 2006

The first students to report to HBCU campuses before fall semester are football players & freshmen (crab) band members. Since we were the first ones on campus, we already had our dorms & stuff. A young staticshock is dropped off for freshman band camp. We’re there a week or 2 before the rest of the band comes so we can get conditioned, learn how to march like a HBCU band member & learn our music. My roommate is a dude from Birmingham who played drums..we kick it off & are still friends damn near 20 years later. He made me his first born’s godfather a couple years back :mjcry:

Anyway we in the dorm chilling, unpacking and getting to know each other. I was the only one from my high school band who decided to go to Bama State (rest of em went to Albany State, Savannah State or Morehouse) so I was really there by myself. My roommate had 3 dudes with him who he graduated with, plus they weren’t too far from home. They were more comfortable than me but they welcomed me with open arms & from then on I kicked it with them. They had 100 questions about Atlanta cause at the time, Atlanta was really on top of the rap & entertainment game. And don’t let one of them country bytches from Bama or Mississippi find out you from Atlanta..automatic excuse to let you smash :mjlol:

As that first day is ending, we’re all getting anxious cause we don’t know what to expect tomorrow when camp starts. All we know is to be outside our dorms at 4:30am..now before we showed up, during the summer the band staff told us everything we’d need for camp. Most important thing we had to get were plain white t’s, army fatigue pants and black boots. We were told it was for camp, but I thought it would just be for that first day, then we can wear whatever..

Next morning rolls around, & we’re in front of the dorms at 4:30. They line us up, & we had to put our hands on our heads, march around the campus while chanting “Early in the morning…before I eat my breakfast…I gotta get down! Get what! Get down!”. We eventually make our way to the music building Where we do cardio & other exercises till 5:30, then we go eat breakfast.

They tell us to be back at the music building at 7 to get started practicing. From 7-9 it was learning music & how to properly breathe as a college musician. 9-11 was a break, 11-3 was more music practice, 3-5 was a break & finally 5-whenever was when we were learning movements for halftime & 1 last “crank” session before we went back to the dorms for the rest of the night.

Remember how I thought them army uniforms would be for the 1st day? We had to wear that shyt to practice for the entire first semester :dead:

The boots were to help build our leg strength for marching

The fatigues were because we some fukkin soldiers & we kill other bands :demonic:. (The fatigue thing been an ASU tradition for idk how long..it was a thing decades before me & still do it now) everyone wears fatigue pants to practice, but only freshman have to wear a plain white T.

Speaking of the plain white T..we had to draw a big ass question mark on the back, & that’s all we could put on it. When you’re a freshman in an HBCU band you get “crab” nicknames..just a name nikkas call you. It can be anything for any particular reason. My roommate crab name was Fat Man Scoop cause that’s who he looked like & we still call him scoop today. This one girl who was a freshman lost hella weight before coming to camp, but she still had rolls on her neck. They called her “Turkey Neck” :dead: I’ve heard of white boys who are freshmen in other bands get some wild ass crab names like Jeffery Dahmer or Ted Bundy..so it can be whatever & they ain’t gonna hold back with the names. Upperclassmen would carry black markers all year to write a name on the back of our shirts if they came up with something good.

Sorry it’s long winded brehs but that’s the story of my first few days & weeks at good ol Bama State. Next I may tell bout when me & some of my crab brothers stole $60 worth of food from Waffle House right under their nose on our first trip to a performance :ahh:

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
Late July-early August, 2006

The first students to report to HBCU campuses before fall semester are football players & freshmen (crab) band members. Since we were the first ones on campus, we already had our dorms & stuff. A young staticshock is dropped off for freshman band camp. We’re there a week or 2 before the rest of the band comes so we can get conditioned, learn how to march like a HBCU band member & learn our music. My roommate is a dude from Birmingham who played drums..we kick it off & are still friends damn near 20 years later. He made me his first born’s godfather a couple years back :mjcry:

Anyway we in the dorm chilling, unpacking and getting to know each other. I was the only one from my high school band who decided to go to Bama State (rest of em went to Albany State, Savannah State or Morehouse) so I was really there by myself. My roommate had 3 dudes with him who he graduated with, plus they weren’t too far from home. They were more comfortable than me but they welcomed me with open arms & from then on I kicked it with them. They had 100 questions about Atlanta cause at the time, Atlanta was really on top of the rap & entertainment game. And don’t let one of them country bytches from Bama or Mississippi find out you from Atlanta..automatic excuse to let you smash :mjlol:

As that first day is ending, we’re all getting anxious cause we don’t know what to expect tomorrow when camp starts. All we know is to be outside our dorms at 4:30am..now before we showed up, during the summer the band staff told us everything we’d need for camp. Most important thing we had to get were plain white t’s, army fatigue pants and black boots. We were told it was for camp, but I thought it would just be for that first day, then we can wear whatever..

Next morning rolls around, & we’re in front of the dorms at 4:30. They line us up, & we had to put our hands on our heads, march around the campus while chanting “Early in the morning…before I eat my breakfast…I gotta get down! Get what! Get down!”. We eventually make our way to the music building Where we do cardio & other exercises till 5:30, then we go eat breakfast.

They tell us to be back at the music building at 7 to get started practicing. From 7-9 it was learning music & how to properly breathe as a college musician. 9-11 was a break, 11-3 was more music practice, 3-5 was a break & finally 5-whenever was when we were learning movements for halftime & 1 last “crank” session before we went back to the dorms for the rest of the night.

Remember how I thought them army uniforms would be for the 1st day? We had to wear that shyt to practice for the entire first semester :dead:

The boots were to help build our leg strength for marching

The fatigues were because we some fukkin soldiers & we kill other bands :demonic:. (The fatigue thing been an ASU tradition for idk how long..it was a thing decades before me & still do it now) everyone wears fatigue pants to practice, but only freshman have to wear a plain white T.

Speaking of the plain white T..we had to draw a big ass question mark on the back, & that’s all we could put on it. When you’re a freshman in an HBCU band you get “crab” nicknames..just a name nikkas call you. It can be anything for any particular reason. My roommate crab name was Fat Man Scoop cause that’s who he looked like & we still call him scoop today. This one girl who was a freshman lost hella weight before coming to camp, but she still had rolls on her neck. They called her “Turkey Neck” :dead: I’ve heard of white boys who are freshmen in other bands get some wild ass crab names like Jeffery Dahmer or Ted Bundy..so it can be whatever & they ain’t gonna hold back with the names. Upperclassmen would carry black markers all year to write a name on the back of our shirts if they came up with something good.

Sorry it’s long winded brehs but that’s the story of my first few days & weeks at good ol Bama State. Next I may tell bout when me & some of my crab brothers stole $60 worth of food from Waffle House right under their nose on our first trip to a performance :ahh:
Since you were a freshmen in 06 I’m a year or two older and I stayed in Card Hall.Man I use to hate them nikkas chanting that shyt early as fukk while I was sleepy. Had a young nikka looking out the window like
images

:heh:
I hated it then but I now cherish those memories. It’s crazy that was damn near 20 years ago:flabbynsick::pachaha: