Raven Symoné Doubles Down on The Oprah Winfrey Interview About Being Labeled African American

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC

In the video, Symoné explained that a clip from her 2014 appearance on ‘Where Are They Now’ has begun recirculating.

“I want to talk about something that has haunted me since 2014,” she explained.
Symoné shared that the viral comment she made while appearing on the show prompted her to receive “so much backlash.”

“When that aired, I felt like the entire internet exploded and threw my name in the garbage. There was so much backlash from my community and others that misunderstood, slash, didn’t hear the exact words that I said. And the exact words that I said is that ‘I’m an American, not an African American,'” she explained. “A lot of people on the internet thought I said that I wasn’t Black. And I never said that. There’s a difference between being Black and African American.”
The 38-year-old explained that she never intends to “negate” her Blackness and understands her history. However, she believes the world at large views her as an American rather than an African American.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
I remember she caught HELL for this and now Internet Ass Muhfukkas are right on brand with her
Picsart-23-03-27-20-05-21-752.png

2 one 3

wavy
Daps
Reppin
Westside
I’d rather be called African than American if I’m being honest

Me and Raven the opposite on this one… I understand we are “American” but who’s to say it was by choice…?

So many of us were legit stolen and sold to America and while we helped shape and mold America, this evil ass country has always had it out against us… :damn: :pacspit:

Id much rather be African royalty

Than looked at as a fukkin 2nd class American

Lonj

Superstar
Daps
But her intentions weren't the same. She was on some gay boule shyt when she made that comment. Basically trying to say she ain't no nikika she's Raven :mjpls:

Yeah I suspect this is a late stage pivot when she saw which way the wind was blowing. No surprise it took her 10 years to make this comment.