RIP Virgil Abloh (9/30/80 - 11/28/21)

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I knew some nicca was not gonna pay attention to what I was saying and mention ozwald eventually smh :snoop: I also love the fact you assume I don't know who ozwald is, even though I'm from London :russ:

Yes ozwald got a store on saville row, which is an immense achievement in itself, BUT he never took over the reigns of one of the mega fashion houses which is the endgame for every designer. Every designer. It's a level above in the fashion world. That opportunity is only given to a handful of people and it's basically the fashion equivalent of being given a key to your city. It's a status changer and it's why plenty of people like Raf, Denma etc put their own brands on hold or left their own brands when they got offered the chance to take over the reigns of a Prada, LV, Givenchy etc. Why the fucc you think Virgil was balling his eyes out on Ye's shoulder after his first LV collection. The level of achievement he'd reached was astronomical for any designer let alone a Black one in that super racist industry.

"Look him up" :russ::dead:

Edit

And btw, i'm not trying to disrespect Ozwald's ting either. He's a trailblazer and legend too. But i don't think you understand the level Virgil got to. He was even rubbing shoulders at the top of the art world for a few years, which the likes of Kim Jones is only now just starting to do. Virgil's ting was just different.

Kim > Virgil easy

Virgil just had more celebrity hype based off his circle of friends and connection to youth hypebeast culture

Virgil was more of a creative thinker and trendsetter who is good at selling ideas/gimmicks than an actual talented/skilled designer like Kim Jones but I can see the comparison

But fashion these days doesn’t respect tailors or actual artistry and traditions as much as before when street wear/ sneaker culture wasnt mainstream

gotta respect Virgil for making a lane for himself and being the first to do it as a black man from USA though especially seeing how he has no real training in fashion design

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
RIP

Tell Virgil write "BRICK" on my brick :wow:

I didn't fukk with his shyt because I felt like it was too expensive for very simplistic designs.

I fukked with those Black prestos that came out but I never got the chance to cop at a reasonable price :francis:

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
It’s ok to be sad but holding him up as a Black icon or as some level of Black representation is a stretch. The only thing Black about Virgil was his skin tone…he didn’t open a door for black people, make a lane for black people, he barely even hired Black people at least from what we can see. So be sad and mourn but don’t misrepresent who he was.