Rolling Stone’s “500 Greatest Albums of All Time” updated What's Goin' On #1

MINT

All Star
Daps
2Pac doesn't have a top 50-150 tier album...yes he has classic(s) but like I said about Lauryn it's not that “of all time regardless of genre” kinda of album(s).

Neither does Biggie and most of the albums that dropped in the 90s.
Like Brother Ali said, the 90s may be the golden age of hip hop, but hip hop was also musically weak in that time period.

Kenzo Ten

Pro
Daps
Eh I just don't think it's an album that'll be remembered decades from now as a definitive piece of music...ya know something that ppl must hear before they die...Kendrick's albums benefit from the fact that Hip-Hop hasn't been doing too good within these last 10yrs.
I think it will be. I'm 47 now and was far more impressed with it than most albums before it (and I'm not just talking about rap). He does benefit from the fact HH hasn't been doing too good but this album is a true musical masterpiece and would have received the same acclaim 30 years ago.

If you ask me, its only competition these last 2 decades have been OK Computer from Radiohead and maybe My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

Overpss

Pro
Daps
I think it will be. I'm 47 now and was far more impressed with it than most albums before it (and I'm not just talking about rap). He does benefit from the fact HH hasn't been doing too good but this album is a true musical masterpiece and would have received the same acclaim 30 years ago.

If you ask me, its only competition these last 2 decades have been OK Computer from Radiohead and maybe My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
Wasn't that big of a fan when it came out but tpab grew on me massively. This shyt gets one of my rarest perfect 10/10 ratings

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
Neither does Biggie and most of the albums that dropped in the 90s.
Like Brother Ali said, the 90s may be the golden age of hip hop, but hip hop was also musically weak in that time period.
:mjlol:

Hip-Hop was definitely musically better in the 90s (it's prime era) compared to now and just for the record Biggie isn't my favorite rapper he's just one of many rappers I like so if you think I believe his albums are anywhere in the top 100 you're wrong.

Lauryn Hill isn't top 10, 20, 30 nor 50 musically of all time... I'd say her record is somewhere in the top 100-150 range as most hip-hop albums imo should be somewhere in between the 150-225 area.

Brother Ali trash...he just talking bullshyt :mjlol:.

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY

Yeah I'm not talking just about rap either... there's many soul, jazz and funk records I'd place higher than any kendrick album...if I were to include Kendrick in a personal top 500 list he'd be somewhere in-between 425-475.

I don't think it's really fair to give artists like Drake and Kendrick among others higher rankings when there's legitimate classic pieces of music throughout other genres and decades that deserve more attention.

:yeshrug: That's why I feel the list is written to be more accessible for modern times and not exactly a true breakdown of the top 500...some artists shouldn't even be in the top 50 like Missy Elliot (lol) for instance I don't see her music being that good.

Last edited:

Ike omad

Rookie
Daps
Came to hate but the top 30 is actually super accurate lol. I'm not sure about the order, but all 30 albums are exactly where they should be.
They didn't make the mistake of having legendary but unimpressive old rap albums from a musical angle, and actually gave some of these modern cd's the props they deserve.