Rolling Stone’s “500 Greatest Albums of All Time” updated What's Goin' On #1

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
:mjlol: at hip hop being more "musically" complex in the 90s

I can tell some people here lack musical knowledge.
90s hip-hop shyts on 2010s :mjlol: music and I have more musical knowledge than you :childplease: how could someone like you who just listens to hip-hop tell me a student/listener of numerous genres isn't knowledgeable about music :childplease: ?

In college I used to study ALOT of music from different genres...

You probably couldn't name 10 albums each from Jazz, Funk, Soul, R&B, Psychedelic Rock, etc :mjlol:.

Sciz

Pro
Daps
but I understand the writers are trying to be more “modern” with their lists but nah.

The writers had nothing to do with the ranking. They got submitted top 50 lists from more than 300 artists, producers, critics, and music-industry figures. The writers only wrote a short description of each album.

it's usually how that work for other important publications, which is why you often see similar lists from pitchfork, guardian, etc

Number21000

Rookie
Daps
90s hip-hop shyts on 2010s :mjlol: music and I have more musical knowledge than you :childplease: how could someone like you who just listens to hip-hop tell me a student/listener of numerous genres isn't knowledgeable about music :childplease: ?

In college I used to study ALOT of music from different genres...

You probably couldn't name 10 albums each from Jazz, Funk, Soul, R&B, Psychedelic Rock, etc :mjlol:.

so we're posting our curriculum vitae now?

fair enough, I'm a music lecturer, and think I studied music and its different genres a lot more than you did.
90s-hiphop doesn't shyt on anything. Bars were better, but musically it has absolutely nothing on 2010s hip hop, whether you like it or not.

419scam

The Super Duper
Daps
L O L at beyonce wack ass pop shytty trash music better than michael jackson off the wall, pink floyd dark side of the moon, jimmy hendrix experience, bob marley etc:dead::dead::dead:

Daps
Reppin
The writers had nothing to do with the ranking. They got submitted top 50 lists from more than 300 artists, producers, critics, and music-industry figures. The writers only wrote a short description of each album.
Then obviously the list is not coming from the heart then if we're talking about the true top 500...no way do Kendrick, Drake, Missy (lol), etc have albums in the top 50 when there's better artists musically from inside their own genre and outside :comeon: the list was made to be accessible and modern for younger listeners who probably have never heard most of these albums but are just happy to see their current fav artist in the top 50-100.

Sciz

Pro
Daps
Then obviously the list is not coming from the heart then if we're talking about the true top 500...no way do Kendrick, Drake, Missy (lol), etc have albums in the top 50 when there's better artists musically from inside their own genre and outside :comeon: the list was made to be accessible and modern for younger listeners who probably have never heard most of these albums but are just happy to see their current fav artist in the top 50-100.
That's your opinion, not theirs.

A lot of artists always been praising Supa Dupa Fly to death...as for kendrick, some legendary artists have already mentioned Kendrick's TPAB in their top 5. Herbie Hancock, for example, said TPAB featured some of the best free jazz elements ever heard in jazz music. But I'm sure you know jazz music better than he does?

The list was made by hundreds of people that submitted their own top 50. It has nothing to do with making it accessible to the new generation.

Daps
Reppin
That's your opinion, not theirs.

A lot of artists praise Supa Dupa Fly to death...as for kendrick, some legendary artists have already mentioned Kendrick's TPAB in their top 5. Herbie Hancock, for example, said TPAB featured some of the best free jazz elements in jazz history.
It's a bullshyt list...plain and simple. :unimpressed:

They'll release another one of these with every album listed in different positions next time :unimpressed: Missy doesn't have a top 50 album neither does Kendrick nor Drake... it's a list made to fit more of the modern times so they threw in a bunch of newcomers in the top 50-100 to not appear old or out of touch with the times but musically this is not an accurate list.

Herbie might've said that but the Jazz on Kendrick's album isn't better than the Jazz coming from the actual Jazz legends.

Daps
Reppin
so we're posting our curriculum vitae now?

fair enough, I'm a music lecturer, and think I studied music and its different genres a lot more than you did.
90s-hiphop doesn't shyt on anything. Bars were better, but musically it has absolutely nothing on 2010s hip hop, whether you like it or not.
Sure you've studied alright :mjlol: and yes the 90s was musically better... which artist from the 2010s are musically better than those from the 90s?

Drake :bryan:?
Kendrick :martin: ?

Lil Wayne :mjlol:?

Migos :dead:?

Cardi B :mjtf:?

Who?

Daps
It's a decent list with no discrimination between modern and older albums.

I have no issue with a lot of these vintage albums getting replaced by better bodies of work (maybe less important to the culture, but better nonetheless). It's all about finding the right balance. When I hear a Rakim, 2Pac or Biggie album, I know I'm not listening to a Mozart album.

Daps
Sure you've studied alright :mjlol: and yes the 90s was musically better... which artist from the 2010s are musically better than those from the 90s?

Drake :bryan:?
Kendrick :martin: ?

Lil Wayne :mjlol:?

Migos :dead:?

Cardi B :mjtf:?

Who?
Musically speaking, I do believe the 2010s have given us two of, if not the two most accomplished hip hop albums ever: MBDTF & TPAB. So yeah, to me Kanye and Kendrick are musically better than those from the 90s. I'd also add Tyler the Creator -an artist I hate- to that list and argue that The Roots last records were their absolute best work, musically.

I do remember the Brother Ali tweets you guys are talking about that, and he's 100% right imo.

Joe Budden and Common discussed these tweets as well, both agreed that while the 90s had better spitters, the 2010s had much better artists.
So yeah, I have read your comments and respect your opinion, but I disagree with you. I'm a big hip hop fan myself, grew up on jazz and funk, but I can't say I was impressed with 90s hip hop. From a pure rapping perspective? sure... but the music was never that good to me.

I won't lie though, it took me a while to accept that some of these most recent albums were better than my favs. But it was mostly nostalgia in my case.

Last edited: