Rudy Gobert is having an underrated season

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Weird to compare him to Mutombo by using a situation Mutumbo was never in. Nothing Mutombo faced is at all like that Houston team.

I don't have an opinion on Gobert vs. Mutombo, just think the Houston series shouldn't be the basis for that.
:gucci:
I didn’t compare him to mutumbo. Some of the guy did it his thread and I didn’t like the comparison .

Mutumbo was a better defensive player

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I mean, I also watched those Rockets/Jazz series (naturally :skip:) and like others have said.... an arguably slower/less mobile version of Gobert (aka Mutumbo...) ain’t doing any better vs prime CP3 and Harden running 1/5 PnR audibles...

But that leads to this excellent point:

What does this have to do with what he's doing this season? Are players not allowed to grow and get better?

+1

The Rockets series was 2-3 years ago and Gobert was improved in the Denver series. Jokic still got his (because he’s a damn superstar) but Gobert’s impact was why UTA rallied in game 7.

i.e. Jokic had 30 and 14 (including TOUGH contested shots over Rudy) but Gobert’s 19 and 18 plus numerous altered shots on DEN drives was nothing to sneeze at.

And overall he’s been better defensively this season.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
How many times did Mutombo make it past the 2nd round when he was a starter? :comeon:
The only reason to hate this comparison is because Mutombo is old and retired.

Agreed. It’s backintheday syndrome.

The first time Deke got out the 2nd round? 2001... at 34 years old, playing with a top 5 superstar/reigning MVP (Iverson).

The 2nd time? 2003... as a 36 yr old backup center, playing with a top 5-10 superstar (Kidd) who already made it to the Finals the year before without Deke.

And I knoooow folks aint gassin up Ben Wallace “leading” Detroit passed that 48-win 76ers team in the ‘03 East (before then getting swept by NJN) as some gold standard.

Everything after that was with Rasheed as their top talent and Billups as their leader, FMVP, and even top 5 MVP candidate (‘06). DET continued to make the ECFs after Ben left.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Joker
35 & 14
47 & 12
24 & 9

embiid
40 & 19

AD (last time they played aug 2020)
42 & 12

KAT
21 & 11

Vucci
34 & 8
16 & 8

the game he guarded Ben
Drop gave up 42

I’m sorry I know he a good team defender but I can’t feel good about making him defensive player of the year