Saying someone is product of their environment is just a way to let their parents off the hook(unpopular opinion )

Kings County

Law III | Law XXV | Law XV
Daps
Reppin
The Roman Empire
i disagree
when theres single moms they have to work more to provide,
u gonna be on your own a lot at home
for some u may have other family to lean on for others u gon be around your friends
in the streets

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
When people say that phrase, it generally means parents/household. And I thought everyone understood it as such.

No they don’t. If that’s what they meant they would just flat out say parents. They don’t for a reason

The environment is entirely determined by their parents anyway.

Another thing we can talc about is how alot of parents choose to raise their children in the hood

It doesn’t take 18 years to save up and get an apartment or home outside the hood

Because there are many instances where kids are not being raised by their parents. Could be with a grandma, auntie, or other guardian. Or a friend's parent. Many kids are raised in the system. Doesn't make sense to go straight to "parent" when that may not be applicable to their situation. The phrase "product of environment" is general enough to capture all *home* situations that a kid may come from. Whether it's with their parents or whomever comprise of their household.

This is what capitalism wants us to believe doesn't matter at all. That it's ALL about "what you want" and "how much you work" lmao. That's why they love the so-called "rags to riches" stories, the exceptions mask the rule. Vast majority of people have a big part of their future already determined out by the time they finish HS, and that's not by choice.

Yep. Where you go to school, in what conditions can you do your homework, if they can help with that homework or not, are you growing up around books or with the TV constantly on showing some bs, is the house clean, do you go to the park, museum, movies, for walks, can they advise you on schools to attend/careers to pursue...

The environment always has an impact on your seeds. You’re not around your kids 24/7…. It’s the reason why parents seek communities that’s conducive to rearing kids

But that kinda is what people are saying.

I know you’re angling for the single mother thing, but if you’re raised by a single parent (mother) who is an actuary, attorney or school administrator, you’re probably going to turn into a college-educated functioning member of society, just like your parent.

Poverty is the critical factor many don’t seem to focus on.
It takes a Village to raise child. A child isn’t only influenced by their parents. The schools, teachers, neighborhoods, careers they are exposed to, extra-curricular activities they have access to in their youth, etc.

Socioeconomics is a huge factor. Obviously you need both parents, but a child with one financially successful parent/environment VS a child with one parent living in/close to poverty will have vastly different realities.
Respectfully, @BrothaZay
/thread

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
I think it really is the household. There's a reason that my close friends are all going good in life. We were all raised correctly and didn't get pulled into the streets. My parents refused to let me hang out with anyone that even appeared to be from the streets. Sure I had "school" friends but that stayed in school and wouldn't hang out with them outside. I remember the one time I did brah lit a mattress on fire in the side of the street. At that point I got it :ehh: . I actually thanked my parents a few years ago and understand now why they were so protective.

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
I think it really is the household. There's a reason that my close friends are all going good in life. We were all raised correctly and didn't get pulled into the streets. My parents refused to let me hang out with anyone that even appeared to be from the streets. Sure I had "school" friends but that stayed in school and wouldn't hang out with them outside. I remember the one time I did brah lit a mattress on fire in the side of the street. At that point I got it :ehh: . I actually thanked my parents a few years ago and understand now why they were so protective.
:mjlol:

No, really :mjcry:

That’s sad as hell.

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
:mjlol:

No, really :mjcry:

That’s sad as hell.
Brah stood there with no fear of getting caught as i power walked straight home :francis: . Brah was a dirt bag. Before the mattress incident, he asked to barrow some video games from me and before the end of the week I found out he moved to California with my shyt. :martin: