Millennials are becoming more resentful of their parents for not being able to babysit their grandchildren

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You mean having a child for the vibes and social media posts isn't a good idea? Getting pregnant by a dude you know god damn well wouldn't be a good father is a bad idea? Nutting in women knowing they aren't wife or mother material isn't a good idea?

There are consequences. Getting pregnant - or getting someone pregnant - is one of the easiest financial/mental/health pitfalls you can avoid as an adult with a functioning brain. We have way too many people who view children as nothing more than an accessory, women who view motherhood (including single motherhood) as nothing more than an attractive aesthetic, and men who view fatherhood as optional.

And for people who are doing it right - ie getting MARRIED before having children - and are experiencing child care issues? Certainly I feel bad for them. But at the same time I would expect some type of planning ahead of time by couples thinking about having children. We definitely need better child care options in this country.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
You mean having a child for the vibes and social media posts isn't a good idea? Getting pregnant by a dude you know god damn well wouldn't be a good father is a bad idea? Nutting in women knowing they aren't wife or mother material isn't a good idea?

There are consequences. Getting pregnant - or getting someone pregnant - is one of the easiest financial/mental/health pitfalls you can avoid as an adult with a functioning brain. We have way too many people who view children as nothing more than an accessory, women who view motherhood (including single motherhood) as nothing more than an attractive aesthetic, and men who view fatherhood as optional.

And for people who are doing it right - ie getting MARRIED before having children - and are experiencing child care issues? Certainly I feel bad for them. But at the same time I would expect some type of planning ahead of time by couples thinking about having children. We definitely need better child care options in this country.
You're lacking empathy here which goes against your usual ethos and not really thinking. Read up on the stories more to learn more of the situation going on. I don't know about you but when I was a kid I was at my grandparents house regularly and stayed there for weeks during the summer. I'm reading reddit posts from married couples saying they can't ever leave the kids with grandma the same way they were.

Your post is surprisingly judgemental and assumptive.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You're lacking empathy here which goes against your usual ethos and not really thinking. Read up on the stories more to learn more of the situation going on. I don't know about you but when I was a kid I was at my grandparents house regularly and stayed there for weeks during the summer. I'm reading reddit posts from married couples saying they can't ever leave the kids with grandma the same way they were.

Your post is surprisingly judgemental and assumptive.

I stayed with my grandparents at times too. And as I mentioned, there are people who are in tough situations despite doing (nearly) everything right. But when I look at the rate of out of wedlock births, declining marriage rates, and the decline in birth control usage it seems pretty clear a lot of this is a behavioral problem and consequence. Grandparents are under no obligation to inconvenience themselves because of their (adult) children's poor decisions.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Anecdotal but I knew shyt was getting real when you would see 70 plus year olds working and McDonalds especially the white ones you know the economy is not what they been telling us for the past 15 years. Inflation, raising property taxes, medical bills strap alot of people in the USA

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
If these same grandparents were leaving their kids with THEIR parents when they were young, then I have to say that IS pretty fukked up. Then again, baby boomers are known for being selfish.
That's the thing this thread isn't looking at. They're like it's crazy you expect your parents to help you with their kids, when a lot of millenials spent a lot of time being taken care of by big mama and papa.

Millenials are the first generation of people who are being expected to raise their children WITHOUT the help of their forebears, which no other generation has ever really had to deal with.

DonRe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah that dont fly with us culturally. Grand parents round here stay ready. Aint like we asking them to hold the kids for weeks at a time either.

White ppl dont fukk with they grandkids and def dont fukk with they elders either. They aint with looking out for or cultuvating a family dynamic like that.

Its everyone to themselves.

Last edited:

Traveler

All Star
Daps
My mom watches my two brothers younger kids over the summer. But one lives right next to her and the other 5 away. Mom is chill with it cause it gives her something to do and it's not a full time babysitter either. She is also 100% retired and doesn't like to travel.

RickyDiBiase

The Health Inspector
Daps
Reppin
Cbus

Non parent babel :russell:

Menna

All Star
Daps
So people are upset that they have children and their parents alive ???

The people that complain about this type of shyt would complain if the grandparents are too involved in their kids lives. These type of people need a perfect balance of what they want and are easily displeased.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Seen this happen in my fam, very awkward shyt cuz you’d expect there to be at least SOME help but naw. The reality of not having much time left + having barely enjoyed life is creating this situation.

But Millennials and Gen Z gotta realize we’ve been dealt the shyttiest hand in decades. shyt is gonna be rough for us.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Parents barely are with their kids these days. In fairness its because they gotta work but so do Granny and Paw Paw. And once they finally do stop they aint tryna be bothered with your spoiled ass talkin back ass kids. Back in the day Big Mama could stay at home because Grandpa's job at the plant/factory was enough to support a family. And they was old at 21. Now they both working into their 70s. People actually care about enjoyment and quality of life now so they arent just sitting home all day just because they are 70.

Daps
That particular incident is wild.......I bet them parents bailed them kids out a fukk ton of shyt growing up...... that entitlement.......I bet them kids like the kids in Talladega Nights......I don't expect a thing from my people...... nothing.....I got my own, everything else is just a bonus

chip-jacked-up.gif

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
I stayed with my grandparents at times too. And as I mentioned, there are people who are in tough situations despite doing (nearly) everything right. But when I look at the rate of out of wedlock births, declining marriage rates, and the decline in birth control usage it seems pretty clear a lot of this is a behavioral problem and consequence. Grandparents are under no obligation to inconvenience themselves because of their (adult) children's poor decisions.
I agree but I don't think there's anything in the article to suggest it was out of wedlock and you're just being assumptive.

Read this article. It features people that are married and their stories.