Serious Question: Where were the Feminists?

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
i dont know about you but a lot of the black feminists i follow on twitter, have been talking about this all the time
by feminists, you mean those pawgs right?
This.
Everybody by now knows there is a completely different world of feminist when it comes to white women and black women
tumblr_n7hqy9Gyfg1qbyb7mo1_500.jpg

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
Examples, please....:feedme:
Just off the top of my head:

Mitt Romney's "binders full of women" comment was heavily criticized.
Todd Akin's "legitimate rape" comments were heavily criticized.
The biggest campus sexual assault cases being brought to light by feminists have all been perpetrated by white men.
The fair pay initiatives are majority aimed at white men (as they are usually the people in positions of power to determine such).
Robin Thicke was heavily criticized for Blurred Lines.

Obviously being a feminist doesn't mean you're not racist, and there are definitely intersectionality issues in mainstream feminism, but I don't buy the notion that feminism is primarily targeting black men.

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
Just off the top of my head:

Mitt Romney's "binders full of women" comment was heavily criticized.
Todd Akin's "legitimate rape" comments were heavily criticized.
The biggest campus sexual assault cases being brought to light by feminists have all been perpetrated by white men.
The fair pay initiatives are majority aimed at white men (as they are usually the people in positions of power to determine such).
Robin Thicke was heavily criticized for Blurred Lines.

Obviously being a feminist doesn't mean you're not racist, and there are definitely intersectionality issues in mainstream feminism, but I don't buy the notion that feminism is primarily targeting black men.

The Street Harassment campaign and the situations involving Ray Rice and other high-profile black athletes show me that they do.

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
White women don't give a good fukk about black women's issues, but I see where this is trying to go so I'll let you cook.

You more or less said it all.

I just don't understand why black women practice feminism when feminism is nothing more than a divisive mechanism in the black community. It just pits black men against black women.

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
The Street Harassment campaign and the situations involving Ray Rice and other high-profile black athletes show me that they do.
Yeah, the street harassment campaign definitely had racial undertones to it, but it was just one campaign. There have been plenty others have have received just as much attention that haven't been targeting black men. America definitely has racist perceptions w/r/t black men, but I don't think "feminism" as a whole can be said to be a tool for specifically black male oppression.

IMO the bigger issue is white women dominating the feminist discourse and pushing out black women's voices.

Vice Queen

The First Lady of T$C
Supporter
Daps

I just don't understand why black women practice feminism when feminism is nothing more than a divisive mechanism in the black community. It just pits black men against black women.
*sigh*

I'll say it like this, black women do have issues that we experience independent of black men. We share a common struggle of being black, that is not a lie, but we also have a struggle of being women. That is why the concept of womanism exists because it recognizes the intersectionality of those two identities.

Fun Sized Psycho

Floating on tooth shaped clouds
Supporter
Daps

Do you realize that not all black women practice feminism? I know you didn't say all, this is a general question.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
I come on TLR and it's "white feminists are working alongside and/or not targeting white men as a way to further oppress black women and black men".
But then I go literally everywhere else (from facebook groups to reddit to forums, big forums, small forums, youtube comments, small channels, big channels, news sites, tumblr blogs, non tumblr-blogs, podcasts, from white people to Asians to black people to Hispanic people) and apparently that alliance is super secret because there's consatnt incessant bickering between white men (MRA's or not) and feminists that leaks into the real world, constant attacks on "cis white males", numerous big feminist news stories that went national where white men were the main target, a litany of campaigns on feminist issues such as "rape culture" where white men are the main focus, feminist books and movies on rape/rape culture where the people being talked about were all white, and much much more.
This idea of feminists not "attacking" white men is a reality that literally only exists on thecoli, it's massively factually wrong, but people like @Trill Russell don't care/won't bother to do their research as long as they can make an easy statement against white supremacy.
Also asking "where's the feminists?" is fukking silly.
Where do you want to see them, where are YOU that you would be in a position to see them? Do you follow any feminist blogs, media in general that would give you a window into the white feminist/feminist persepctive on this?
And why do you believe that black feminists or "womanists" are instritically on your side in the way that you would want them to be? Do you follow any black feminist medai?

Pifferry

blegh
Daps

"I don't understand the need for all these black specific groups/movement, or terms like #blacklivesmatter. It's just dividing us as humans, we have more important issues as a collective. Why can't they understand?"

RoyalQ

I'm a woman.
Daps
Ummm. I follow a lot of black feminist and they don't fukk with white women. They aren't oblivious. White women attack black men in hoardes when the media tells them too. This cop case has been pretty low key in general but all the black women forums I'm on have been keeping up to date with it. White women don't care about black women getting hurt, they are hypocrites. They aren't fooling anyone. Bw fems and ww fems have started splitting a while ago.