So I just finished The Shining brehs

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Maybe its just me but i am surprised kubrick who is such a perfectionist was happy with Nicholson's performance. Often times he just seemed like he was scenery chewing like a troll.

The scene where the previous hotel owner tells him a n is on his way here is so unnecessary

I was :wtf: at that scene then nicholason repeats it

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Maybe its just me but i am surprised kubrick who is such a perfectionist was happy with Nicholson's performance. Often times he just seemed like he was scenery chewing like a troll.

The scene where the previous hotel owner tells him a n is on his way here is so unnecessary

I don't remember if it was The Shining or Dr. Strangelove but Kubrick told Jack/Peter Sellers that the first take would be a warm-up take "so just go crazy" and then used all the warm-up takes

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
I was :wtf: at that scene then nicholason repeats it
That was what was worse about it all he replied like it was just a normal everday conversation. Show me a film in history where someone uses kike so casually?
I don't remember if it was The Shining or Dr. Strangelove but Kubrick told Jack/Peter Sellers that the first take would be a warm-up take "so just go crazy" and then used all the warm-up takes
Doesnt sound like something he would do at all. If its true, there were clearly moments jack was was like F this and just started to wing it by gurning and bulging his eyes. Had to be strangelove

Last edited:

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
If y'all realy want to be :mindblown: about it watch this shyt

Its long but its a proper documentary. Used to be on netflix i think. Not sure if it still is

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
You seem to know a lot about this movie. Do u think Jack nicholsons character was sexually abusing his son?

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
THE SHINING (1979) analysis by Rob Ager

Kind of interesting but im not sure
Thats a fukin reach, i couldnt even finish reading that. Some of these media studies/ film analysis folks have too much time on their hands and tend to conjure up a bunch of shyt that isnt there.

Say there was an ep of seinfield where george was at the dentist and he picked up a real life magazine that just so happened to funded by murdoch and there was an article on the way of neo nazis. Would that be larry david letting us know george is some kind of racist? Or did he just pick up a random book for the scene and the audience not being able to read the fine print would be non the wiser (unless they owned it themselves)

I thought "tony" was clearly danny's other identity created as a coping mechanism to deal with his loneliness not a metaphor for a sclong:hhh:fuking hell

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

Don't read the book then. The racism is ten times more explicit. I think it was quite fitting though. The hotel was trying to gain control of Jack's character by speaking to his most base insecurities and desires. The guy grew up in the 50's, and he was an abusive drunk white man. You better believe he was threatened by a black man forming a friendship with his son in such a short amount of time.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Don't read the book then. .
Trying to figure where i said i was going to?:dame:and what you wrote doesnt really justify it being used "in the movie" without context, Kubrick made a lot of changes that stephen wasnt happy with. That scene could have easily been written without the slur and it wouldnt take away from foreshadowing dikk's death

Last edited: