So You’re Rich for an American. Does That Make You Rich for New York?

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
By Jordan Weissmann

155118657-the-midtown-skyline-remains-lit-as-lower-manhattan.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

Looks like money.
Photo by Afton Almaraz/Getty Images

New Yorkers have a notoriously skewed sense of wealth—at least when they work in industries like finance or media and live in Manhattan or Brooklyn. It’s hard not to, seeing how we’re surrounded by expensive restaurants, expensive apartments, and expensively dressed people who seem able to afford it all.

So, as an econ writer, it’s usually a somewhat strange experience when I get into conversations here about class. If I mention that a six-figure salary counts as rich in much of the country—that just $250,000 gets you into the top 2 percent—the response is usually, “Sure, but that’s not New York rich.”

Except, it sort of is. While working on my column today about what counts as rich in America, I pulled a bit of Census data to compare income New York City and the entire United States. The greater New York metro area may be home to anenormous share of the country’s 1 percenters, and it's certainly a magnet for exorbitant, plutocratic wealth. But in the city itself, the basic income curve isn’t that exceptional. In the entire U.S., according to the Census, about 22 percent of households earn six figures. In NYC, it’s about 25 percent.

nyc_vs_usa.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.png

What about cost of living? Don’t working professionals in New York—those of us who aren’t Wall Street plutocrats—have a right to feel a bit poorer because of the insane amount of money we pay to live in shoebox apartments? Real estate here is expensive, and we don’t get much square footage for our buck. But as I wrote yesterday, the high rents in this city are balanced out somewhat by the low, low cost of commuting on the subway. (Not paying for a car, or gas, or car insurance is pretty financially sweet.) Combined with the fact that salaries are somewhat higher than average here, and New York is reasonably affordable compared to other large cities. Of course, you can easily make it unaffordable by moving to that lovely tree-lined block in Brooklyn or Manhattan that’s just steps to the park, a great coffee shop, and a subway station. But those are consumption choices.

The upshot: If you’re rich by U.S. standards, you’re probably also rich by New York standards. Now, if you do want to see a city where incomes are crazily out of line with the national norm, check out San Francisco, where 39 percent of households make six figures—it really is becoming a city for the rich.

san_fran_v_usa.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.png

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...hat_does_it_take_to_be_rich.html?wpsrc=fol_fb

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
and my homies wonder why i wanna life in SF or LA so badly instead of NY.
@sfgiants :sas2:

But someone explain to me why the wages in SF are so high, not every one there can be working for silicon valley.

And breh the rent is too Damn high in SF, I heard it's around 4-5k on average...

Edit: also forgot LA wages aren't like SF, on average.

Last edited:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

But someone explain to me why the wages in SF are so high, not every one there can be working for silicon valley.

And breh the rent is too Damn high in SF, I heard it's around 4-5k on average...
:whoo: damn breh you serious? rent for what kinda home though? If i moved with my brother itd be a 2 bedroom

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
just saw the homie sfgiants thread

might have to say fukk it and just move to LA like my brother intends to do

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
:whoo: damn breh you serious? rent for what kinda home though? If i moved with my brother itd be a 2 bedroom
Breh I can't speak on SF but LA rent is a bit more reasonable for now, but the city is in the process of a massive gentrification projects, where rents are slowly rising to around 2500-4000k.

Right now it's between 1000-2500 for most places..

无名的

Superstar
Daps
I'm moving to LA and likely will be spending 3 times my mortgage in Ohio for 1/4 of the square footage in an apartment.

:dwillhuh:

sfgiants

BANNED
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Edit: also forgot LA wages aren't like SF, on average.

wages in SF are high becuase of cost of living, and the cost of living has gone up for 34839483948 reasons in SF. some of them include NIMBY politics that prevent new affordable housing from being built, leading to a housing shortage, which leads to increased demand and not enough supply, now add gentrification, and the 'affordable' places being renovated then rented out for more OR torn down completely to make room for new high end/luxury condos/apartments, THEN add the fact that theres been a huge increase in tech sector people moving into the city (where they were once satisfied to live in the shyt hole suburbs of the south peninsula because they didnt wana deal with 101 south traffic ), silicon valley employers being more than happy to provide free shuttle transportation into SF (the most desirable city to live in, dont let bay area delusional kids tell u that the east bay is where its at). even with all this said, the rent is too fukkin high and not worth it. nyc prices for SF? :camby: like paying a benz car note for a ford fusion

sfgiants

BANNED
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm moving to LA and likely will be spending 3 times my mortgage in Ohio for 1/4 of the square footage in an apartment.

u comparing LA to Ohio
is like saying man im gona go eat at Peter Luger's and spend 3 times what i'd spend at hometown buffet for less food :usure:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

Yeah but LA wages aren't the same as SF. Depends on how much you make, and your ability to get a job, because the city is built on nepotism, and people are applying from all over to try and live here....

That's why LA has a lot of transplants, especially these Hollywood wannabe actor mofo's....

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

:heh: fukk that you hustling backwards imo opinion. I'm trying to stack dough to get out of here and live somewhere remote. Been here all my life and this traffic takes a toll on you especially when you could resting by the beach....

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Yeah but LA wages aren't the same as SF. Depends on how much you make, and your ability to get a job, because the city is built on nepotism, and people are applying from all over to try and live here....

That's why LA has a lot of transplants, especially these Hollywood wannabe actor mofo's....
yea if i go there it isnt to work some 9-5. My brother, friend from elementary and I are creating something and my brother has a vast network out there

无名的

Superstar
Daps
:heh: fukk that you hustling backwards imo opinion. I'm trying to stack dough to get out of here and live somewhere remote. Been here all my life and this traffic takes a toll on you especially when you could resting by the beach....

We'll be on 3rd St in Santa Monica, so the beach won't be far

:shaq:

I'm the cheapest person alive, so this isn't easy for me... but I'd never hustle backwards. My wife was chosen to open up an office out there and the person in the same role here makes $1 million a year. She already makes a little more than a tenth of that.

:wow:

sfgiants

BANNED
Daps
Reppin
NULL

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/4641572100.html

that's an "affordable" listing, and when you go to the open house theres going to be like 30 other people there for the viewing competing to get it
1900$ for a 5-600sq foot studio, no bedrooms. just a square living area :dead:
and thats the more 'desirable' parts of the city

for just 3,034$, you can have this HUGE 465 square foot remodeled broom closet:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/4645813932.html