Songs that suffered because of sample clearance issues

Sinister

Banned
Daps
You ever heard a song (or a snippet) you like it then you get the album or final version and the sample isn't there? Maybe they have to put in extra/replacement vocals or re do some instrumentation?

Now I know "All falls down" did just fine without a Lauryn Hill Sample because Syleena Johnson's powerful voice but some songs seem to be missing something when a sample is stripped from the song

Instead of

Instead of

Instead of

Feel free to add on

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
Now I know "All falls down" did just fine without a Lauryn Hill Sample because Syleena Johnson's powerful voice but some songs seem to be missing something when a sample is stripped from the song
:mjcry: L Boog sounded like she was on pain on that shyt

It definitely didn't feel the same

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Ready to Die had 3 songs that changed on the final version because of sample clearances. They just interpolated the original samples:

I definitely prefer the original Me & My bytch, while Ready to Die and One More Chance are a wash.

Ironically they couldn't clear an El Debarge sample for the OG One More Chance but cleared a much more well known El Dabarge sample for the remix :mjlol: . Probably had to do with album budget.
the Ready 2 Die album on streaming sites isn't even the original LP that dropped in 94
Yeah I'm lucky that my older brother had the OG CD because Machine Gun Funk and Ready To Die's hooks just don't sound right without those samples. Especially Machine Gun Funk. The least they could've done was replace them instead of leaving them so barren :scust:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Fishscale had a few songs that needed to be replaced after the original ones leaked. nfortunately they took it off YouTube recently but the original version of The Champ sampled Fever and the intro was directly from Rocky rather than an imitation:

Probably because the original version wasn't mixed at all but I actually prefer the album version. Closest I can find is this performance from 2007:

Did my own version with just the first verse:

Last edited:

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
mixtapes back in the early 90s such as J Love and DJ Clue tapes were full of hip hop joints that featured samples that didn't get cleared...

like this one with Gavin and Foxy Brown which was a favorite of mine ..due to the Jackson 5 sampled hook...

"maria..don't you hear me coming!!!" :ohlawd:

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Breathe. Just and Fab had to give 100% of the publishing.

Song was fire but that’s suffering in my opinion. nikkas ain’t make shyt lmao

As well as $100 Gs

That’s bullshyt, tnwould never happen the other way around, like have you ever heard of Led Zepplin or someone having to give 100% publishing to an old blues legend? No way in hell