Soul Food Restaurants in your town

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Can you all post the names of the Soul Food restaurants in your town? I do a little traveling for my work and I like to hit up Soul Food restaurants. What are the names of the restaurants in your town?

When I lived in Chicago I used to go to Edna's and Gladys. I haven't been to Chicago in a little while, so I don't even know if they are still around; but they had great food.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
Depending on where you go it's going to be split between...
Soulfood umbrella:
1. Basic(greens, beans & peas, rice, mac'n cheese, cornbread, various meats etc etc)
2. BBQ joints
3. Creole joints
4. Seafood joints
5. Chicken joints
6. Health food

Basically some people assume that the "basic"(as described above) form of soulfood is the only thing designated by the term "soulfood"(or that it only refers to fried greasy food). So you'll ask for soulfood spots but noone will tell you about great BBQ or creole food in the same town and I don't want you to missout. "soul food" is the umbrella term for our our collective culinary cannon.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Detroit

Joe Anns off 6 mile and Jerome

Uptown’s off Livernois and the Lodge

Steve’s in river town

Louisiana creole gumbo off Gratiot

Bert’s in Eastern Market

Ms Evee’s off Gratiot

A little north but EJ’s in Pontiac
So many more :ohlawd:
Motor City & J’s Cafe :banderas:

fairfax12

Pro
Daps
LA;
Dulans, Soul Food (Inglewood)
R & R, SF (Carson)
Roscoes, SF (all over but the Long Beach location is the best...they have a jazz bar)
Mama Joans, SF (Inglewood)
Simply Wholesome, Vegan (Ladera Heights)
Stuff I Eat, Vegan (Inglewood)
Moms BBQ (Compton)
Post & Beam, Fine Dining SF (Baldwin Hills)
Hungry Joes, Jamaican (Inglewood)
Mel's Fish Shack (Mid City)
Family Fish Market (Long Beach)

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Oakland/San Francisco

-Lena's Soul Food Café (Texas style soul food, the original location on High Street is cafeteria style and they recently opened up a sit down restaurant on Bancroft where Soul's used to be)

-Queen's Louisiana Po'Boy Café (original location on San Bruno Ave, not the new one on Pier 37)
-Keith's Chicken & Waffles :whew::whew:

-Southern Café (off of Fruitvale & Mac right around the corner from where I used to live, cool spot for Sunday Brunch)

-Everett & Jones BBQ (They been around for a minute, their sauce game is :ohlawd: but I ain't a big fan of the meat)

Brick Pig and Touch of Soul are in the area as well although I don't fukk with them as much.

Sadly there's a lot of soul food spots that went outta business in the last 10 years namely Holiday Fish, Dorsey's Locker, Nellie's and Flint's BBQ. That fish spot was bomb :mjcry:

Last edited:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
LA;
Dulans, Soul Food (Inglewood)
R & R, SF (Carson)
Roscoes, SF (all over but the Long Beach location is the best...they have a jazz bar)
Mama Joans, SF (Inglewood)
Simply Wholesome, Vegan (Ladera Heights)
Stuff I Eat, Vegan (Inglewood)
Moms BBQ (Compton)
Post & Beam, Fine Dining SF (Baldwin Hills)
Hungry Joes, Jamaican (Inglewood)
Mel's Fish Shack (Mid City)
Family Fish Market (Long Beach)

Add Granny's Kitchen to that list, best soul food I ever ate in LA :banderas:

Bludso's BBQ is cool too

Last edited:

fairfax12

Pro
Daps
Add Granny's Kitchen to that list, best soul food I ever ate in LA :banderas:

Bludso's BBQ is cool too
Granny's is definitely a must visit I forgot about that one. I don't get to the eastside much.
Bludso's is aight but when he franchised it and opened a store off Melrose in Hollywood I took my Mom once and it wasn't hitting with me like that anymore. maybe it was the very white and wealthy ambiance that threw me off.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Granny's is definitely a must visit I forgot about that one. I don't get to the eastside much.
Bludso's is aight but when he franchised it and opened a store off Melrose in Hollywood I took my Mom once and it wasn't hitting with me like that anymore. maybe it was the very white and wealthy ambiance that threw me off.

I went to the Bludso's on Long Beach Blvd in Compton around 6 years ago, ain't been there since but I remember it being cool