Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker spoiler discussion thread

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
This is what I need to know. This shyt made my head turn to the side when I saw it. When was that dagger made? Why is this ancient looking thing, have the location of, and carved to fit the ruins of the second Death Star?

And Red Letter Media made a interesting point. It’s entirely possible that the Palpatine we’ve seen throughout all of these movies and other media, have been clones, and the real Palpatine had been on Exogol pulling the strings the entire time.

JJ can’t help himself. The last act of this movie was Return of the Jedi. Palpatine stay wanting someone to strike him down, and show someone just how badly the space battle is going for them.

I didn’t hate the movie but it was a waste of time. This sequel trilogy didn’t advance shyt for the franchise. As I said in another thread, I think the best thing to do, at least for the movies, is to take things forward 50 to 100 years. Especially if these actors are done.

Last edited:

Mr. Brown

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Miami
The movie was peak JJ Abrams, for better or worse. Heavy on nostalgia that tows the line between genuinely sincere and shameless pandering. Fast paced plot that distracts your brain from a lot of things that don't really make sense if you spend too much time thinking about it. Quippy dialogue and a whole lot of McGuffins.

Having thought about it I think it's a solid, entertaining film on its own but a bad Star Wars film. The irony is it spends so much time trying to "correct" the Last Jedi while also setting up elements that are just as damaging if not moreso to the Star Wars lore than anything Rian Johnson came up with.

I'm sorry but I can't get over him bringing Palpatine back. It cheapens Vader's sacrifice and him fulfilling the prophecy as the chosen one. I may have been able to accept it more if there had been ample setup throughout the new trilogy or if JJ and Terrio had thought of a better explanation but they simply throw it at us and asked the audience not to question it too much. It was way too lazy of an approach to such a huge plot point that had major ramifications for the entire saga.

Also, it's abundantly clear now that this is how it went down.

The Force Awakens: This is my movie!
The Last Jedi: Fukk your movie JJ!
The Rise of Skywalker: Oh yeah? Well fukk your movie Rian!

And that's ultimately why the Disney trilogy failed imo. Two directors with different visions who couldn't put their egos aside and make something cohesive. One director should've made all three films
The way I look at it, maybe there isn’t supposed to be a ‘THE one’ just the next one. Anakin was thought to be the one, but then he turned to the dark side. Then they thought Luke would be the one that would bring balance to the force. And in a way they were right when he turned out to be the one that turned his father back to the light and in turn Anakin saved Luke from the attack at the hands of the Emperor.

So at this point they’ve both fulfilled prophecies in a way. However as long as life goes on there will inevitably always be evil. So now with Anakin long gone and Luke older and in self imposed exile, there was a need for a next ‘one’ which is where Rey came in. If the continue to do movies down the line in this same universe, there will be another evil that arises and perhaps Rey will be unable to take care of it and a new ‘the one’ will be needed. It doesn’t tarnish or diminish the past it just builds on it

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finally watched the cam of this. Infinitely better than TLJ. I put it in the same camp with movies like 6 Undergound. Pure nonsense from a narrative standpoint but entertaining.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
:merchant::hubie:Even in space there should be consent breh :comeon:end up on a space sex registry when you could have just visit Cloud City to fukk broads in Lando's Space Brothel
The MeToo movement is the resistance.

You remember what they did to Poe right?
gNXxc6F.gif

:picard:

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
This is what I need to know. This shyt made my head turn to the side when I saw it. When was that dagger made? Why is this ancient looking thing, have the location of, and carved to fit the ruins of the second Death Star?

And Red Letter Media made a interesting point. It’s entirely possible that the Palpatine we’ve seen throughout all of these movies and other media, have been clones, and the real Palpatine had been on Exogol pulling the strings the entire time.

JJ can’t help himself. The last act of this movie was Return of the Jedi. Palpatine stay wanting someone to strike him down, and show someone just how badly the space battle is going for them.

I didn’t hate the movie but it was a waste of time. This sequel trilogy didn’t advance shyt for the franchise. As I said in another thread, I think the best thing to do, at least for the movies, is to take things forward 50 to 100 years. Especially if these actors are done.
It was a giant retread.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's my point though. I think Rian going in such a different direction is a result of him not liking what JJ tried to establish. JJ sets up Snoke as the big bad, Johnson kills him. JJ hints at Rey having some special type of lineage. Johnson says "nah, her lineage isn't important." JJ sets up Hux as the new Tarkin. Johnson makes him a goofy, mustache-twirling villain bordering on parody. JJ sets up a big moment with Rey and Luke. Johnson has Luke toss the lightsaber.

Whether Johnson improved on things or made them worse is up for debate (which is why TLJ is so love it or hate it) but I think it's pretty clear Johnson at best thought JJ was being way too safe with the Force Awakens or at worst just straight up hated it. I don't buy for a minute that they had everything planned out when the films are straight up fighting each other regarding plot points.

The funny thing about TFA is that Disney heads pretty much tied JJ hands on that. Iger and corporate wanted a nostalgia heavy retread. Then, JJ gotta be pissed they let RJ just do whatever with TLJ.:russ:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
The funny thing about TFA is that Disney heads pretty much tied JJ hands on that. Iger and corporate wanted a nostalgia heavy retread. Then, JJ gotta be pissed they let RJ just do whatever with TLJ.:russ:

Where are you getting this from?

I don't doubt that's what Disney wanted, but the idea that JJ wanted to do anything else seems like a stretch. Based on his entire career and what he did with this movie, I see no evidence that Abrams would EVER attempt something more than nostalgia heavy mediocrity.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where are you getting this from?

I don't doubt that's what Disney wanted, but the idea that JJ wanted to do anything else seems like a stretch. Based on his entire career and what he did with this movie, I see no evidence that Abrams would EVER attempt something more than nostalgia heavy mediocrity.

Just prior to the global release, Kathy screened The Force Awakens for George. He didn’t hide his disappointment. “There’s nothing new,” he said. In each of the films in the original trilogy, it was important to him to present new worlds, new stories, new characters, and new technologies. In this one, he said, “There weren’t enough visual or technical leaps forward.” He wasn’t wrong, but he also wasn’t appreciating the pressure we were under to give ardent fans a film that felt quintessentially Star Wars. We’d intentionally created a world that was visually and tonally connected to the earlier films, to not stray too far from what people loved and expected, and George was criticizing us for the very thing we were trying to do. Looking back with the perspective of several years and a few more Star Wars films, I believe J.J. achieved the near-impossible, creating a perfect bridge between what had been and what was to come."

Bob Iger Says George Lucas Did Not Like 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'

From Iger's book. He was talking about when they screened TFA for George and he was pissed. :mjlol:Also, there's interviews with JJ talking about having to screen TFA for the big heads at Disney and how he was nervous. Disney was def involved and making sure things stayed the course.

I don't necessarily disagree with you though, Disney def brought in JJ cause he wouldn't rock the boat too much. But he def didn't have the creative freedom doing a episode 7 even if he wanted to.:yeshrug:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Bob Iger Says George Lucas Did Not Like 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'

From Iger's book. He was talking about when they screened TFA for George and he was pissed. :mjlol:Also, there's interviews with JJ talking about having to screen TFA for the big heads at Disney and how he was nervous. Disney was def involved and making sure things stayed the course.

I don't necessarily disagree with you though, Disney def brought in JJ cause he wouldn't rock the boat too much. But he def didn't have the creative freedom doing a episode 7 even if he wanted to.:yeshrug:

I've seen that. I've just never seen JJ suggest anything he was restricted.

If he wanted to do ANYTHING but a retread, Johnson left him every opportunity after TLJ. He made a riff on Return instead.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've seen that. I've just never seen JJ suggest anything he was restricted.

If he wanted to do ANYTHING but a retread, Johnson left him every opportunity after TLJ. He made a riff on Return instead.

I doubt it. You think JJ would straight up say that? :russ: