dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
artists aint trippin over the fact that its another revenue stream, we trippin over how much the streaming services make make off of playing our music compared to what we get in return, less than pennies on the dollar, but then again they have the network and the service and we get access to their network of users that can possibly discover and play our music over and over, its a double edged sword i guess
streaming companies aren't making a lot, most of them are unprofitable, the bulk goes to record labels/publishers, etc...be mad at the record biz, not the streaming service.

to the bolded, bingo

DigitalDopeman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, Fl
streaming companies aren't making a lot, most of them are unprofitable, the bulk goes to record labels/publishers, etc...be mad at the record biz, not the streaming service.

to the bolded, bingo
oh i aint mad, i know how the game go, im still building up my buzz so i aint expecting no 100 million streams right now, im thankful to even be on spotify,tidal,google play etc, just so new people can stumble across my music and check for me in the future which will hopefully lead to shows or sales on itunes or something.....so its all good for me lol

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
how is adding another revenue stream robbing artists? if streaming didn't exist, you might see a slight boost to sales, but them cats aint getting paid on records sold...you'd surely see more downloading which nets you ZERO. streaming has added another revenue stream for artists, it's not stealing shyt from them
That's like saying how is allowing my movie to be streamed for 1 dollar the same time as it is in theaters hurting my pockets? It adds to devaluing the product. The whole basis behind downloading music was why buy what I can get for free? Suddenly people start seeing 10 dollars for a CD as too much. It turns potential purchasers off to the idea of buying music. The most popular artists are already the most bootlegged so from their perspective streaming is not doing shyt for them. Streaming is only beneficial to the artists people are of the fence about. As for the labels, yes, they and iTunes are the bigger problem but a successful artist has every right to be mad at streaming and they should be able to negotiate their own rates. But not enough of them own their masters to do so.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
That's like saying how is allowing my movie to be streamed for 1 dollar the same time as it is in theaters hurting my pockets? It adds to devaluing the product. The whole basis behind downloading music was why buy what I can get for free? Suddenly people start seeing 10 dollars for a CD as too much. It turns potential purchasers off to the idea of buying music. The most popular artists are already the most bootlegged so from their perspective streaming is not doing shyt for them. Streaming is only beneficial to the artists people are of the fence about. As for the labels, yes, they and iTunes are the bigger problem but a successful artist has every right to be mad at streaming and they should be able to negotiate their own rates. But not enough of them own their masters to do so.
Not really...this would work if streaming came out back in 02 when album sales we're still booming, , but streaming got big a few years ago, after more than a decade of the download era, the free music era, streaming has brought revenue back to the industry. Again, if I get a $5000 check from people streaming my album, vs nothing when they download it, I'm better off. ...don't matter if I'm an established artist or new. No way artists are gonna be able to negotiate their own rates, they don't do that with radio nor licensing (in most cases) - not sure why everyone expects new rules for streaming.