Streetwear and Urban Fashion in the y2k/2000s.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Jay-z is the one the started this low key, but even he started out promoting Roc-a Wear. That only supports my point, not sure what you're not getting. and basketball players are still getting shoe deals (you don't see them rocking nikes when they are sponsered by reebok) so not sure why you brought that up either. You seem stupid low key. Negged.
What I’m saying is that society has moved away from rapper clothing brands just like they’ve moved away from wearing basketball shoes as fashion

Just because someone convinced a rapper to started a clothing don’t mean them wearing is going to move it. Consumers are smarter than that

The Bilingual Gringo

Tucked in to the socks
Supporter
Daps
m_5b32d0973c9844cdb8ac8c98.jpg

@jayshiggs :wow:

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Not ashamed of my fashion choices during the mid to late 90's and early 2000's...but I wouldn't want to go back to that time period either...all of that stuffed started to add up$$$

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Its ironic that most if these brands went under because the artists themselves starting hyping up all these euro clothing designers as they got rich. Not realizing theyd influence regular people to start wearing gucci and prada and shyt.
Basically sabotaged themselves. Fashion should’ve been a black dominated industry instead its italian or whatever
I remember when I was working for this one company on 6th ave in Manhattan, we're all in a group meeting before the day starts. And this white dude starts speaking to us. We all got our best suits and ties and dress shoes on...and this guy mentions that his family owned Roc-A-Wear.

:dwillhuh::dahell::mindblown:

It's just crazy how Black people make these brands hot, then abandon them for some high end euro fashion...not gonna lie, black folks had a stronghold on the urban fashion game arguably in the late 90s to early 2000s.

Then we started getting alot of these "inspired by" hip-hop and graffiti styled brands...rappers wore them...made them hot...but this time around it was not us behind the scenes at these companies. More and more it was outsiders that found an avenue to make a buck. Again, we wore the clothes though and made it hot cause there was the established formula. The product placement era. Streetwear shops would be messaging rappers and sending them samples to wear live on stage in concert or in a video. People saw that and it created a desire for the brand.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
who remember plndr.com? The Ross of Karmaloop :russ: I fukked with 10 deep heavy and just saw they still around.
Oh I remember plndr.com. Looking back m any of those companies on plndr and karmaloop, and karmaloop kasbah they were kind of copying one another at that point. But I respected the idea behind Karmaloop Kasbah, they were trying to show love and support to up and coming streetwear brands...but many of those brands were just doing the same things. Snapbacks/Strapbacks with python skin brims. Selvedge jeans. Graphic Ts. Hoodies. Maybe they had some Nike or adidas looking unbranded shoes to go with them that they got for the lo lo from china via italy.

:mjlol:

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
very loud & terribly tailored*
Around 2007/2008 I guess cats started figuring out it wasn't about wearing baggy shyt no more...but fitted. Rick Ross was even rapping about the fitted jeans around that time period.

There was that battle between the dudes that rocked baggy jeans and the dudes that rocked skinny jeans. I feel with Kanye West beating 50 cent in that sales battle fall 2007, that was it for baggy hood wear. IT was done. Them cats was now rocking Ed Hardy/Christian Audigier and Affliction :gag:

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Early 2000s rocawear wu wear, g unit cloths lasted maybe 4 years. Than the bro soul LRG shyt took over maybe 2005-2006, than Nike dunks and all over print hoodies and tees in 2006 to 2008, than everyone strarted sucking sperm I guess?

I swear. EVERYBODY and they momma was rocking an all over hoodie of some sort. Every brand was producing all over hoodies. I was watching the BET awards that year, every nikka on stage was rocking an all over hoodie.

That shyt was annoying. All these low budget mom and pop companies were trying to be like Bathing Ape...no one was doing all over hoodies before Bathing Ape. Even Supreme started doing all over hoodies shortly after them in 2004/2005.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
One thing that was nice about the 2000s. That was the last period when you could just walk into Supreme...buy something Supreme made from that season...and be in and out in less than 10 minutes.

Now, you gotta wait three days in line for some supreme branded bolt cutters and a supreme branded 1995 era bowling shirt.

That's if you don't take an L from the supreme website when they release stuff at 11:00am and everything's sold out by 11:10am.

:francis:

Cart was full...now it's empty.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
this is revisionist history. It’s fashion it would never outlasted it’s time
Some of these brands are still around though.
Rapper clothing brands was a fad. Artist have moved on to selling merch which is more profitably
Home page

Kanye still has Yeezy brand. I feel you on the merch though...but some of these rappers be putting out merch in seasons like brands or collections.