Survived Early 90s Drug Game in NYC AMA

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, we ran in the same circles as a lot of athletes/rappers... they all wanted to be seen with us and we wanted to be seen with them, it was a mutually beneficial thing.
Anybody in particular that you met you went :whoo:

Piri Tomas

All Star
Daps
Did you go to the Tunnel? What was that scene like?
The Tunnel was wild. A lot of dudes tucked their jewels because they liked to catch you coming out. It was a grimy spot in the middle of downtown Manhattan. The heads used to go out there to hear real hip hop, so you'd take a ratchet round the way girl over there, someone who'd be gripping right there with you if you ran into a problem outside.

I preferred more mixed spots like the old Palladium.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Also saw a lot of grimy shyt happen to women. We had no respect for our sisters in that era.

Could you give a few examples of what you mean? The reason that I ask is because we always used to here how the dudes were moving or 'getting it', stories that glamorize that side of it, but it's rare to hear about or from the women they dealt with them. Some times the girlfriends or wives got locked or were made to serve time too even though they weren't directly involved in the activity or being around drugs, they got strung out. My cousin became an addict just off being around crack during that era, and dating dudes involved in it, when before that, she wasn't even thinking about it. I was a lot younger so I just heard things in passing.

What did you experience as far as the griminess and no respect?

Piri Tomas

All Star
Daps
Could you give a few examples of what you mean? The reason that I ask is because we always used to here how the dudes were moving or 'getting it', stories that glamorize that side of it, but it's rare to hear about or from the women they dealt with them. Some times the girlfriends or wives got locked or were made to serve time too even though they weren't directly involved in the activity or being around drugs, they got strung out. My cousin became an addict just off being around crack during that era, and dating dudes involved in it, when before that, she wasn't even thinking about it. I was a lot younger so I just heard things in passing.

What did you experience as far as the griminess and no respect?
Yeah there was all of that stuff, dudes using women to move work/guns.

Aside from that it was just general misogyny, but very brutal. The proliferation of drugs in our community had cheapened sex. So many women were using, a lot of our young men/boys came up trading drugs for sex. That whole aspect distorted and corrupted their general outlook on women. Sex in general was too cheap. I'm no prude, but you have a fundamental societal breakdown when running trains on chicks becomes the norm.

Daps
How is China graded on the 1-10 scale?

You hear cats say I want at least a 9 or 10 on the D.

Piri Tomas

All Star
Daps
How is China graded on the 1-10 scale?

You hear cats say I want at least a 9 or 10 on the D.
China was not one thing back then. We didn't have a lot of control over the quality we put out there. Sometimes the dope would be good but if the connect ran into problems it might be dark and look like paint chips... You put out testers and got a old time junkie to sample it, that's how brands got the word out.

97Pac

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So Big Pun and Fat Joe use to really be in the street?

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
Another question is how wild was chinatown back then:patrice:? Heard it used to take the drug game seriously.

Piri Tomas

All Star
Daps
Whats the interactions been when you run into cats from the past in an unplanned manner, whether yall was friends or enemys?
I don't stay in the hood like that. When I come back though it's always love. Many of the old faces are gone.

Recently saw a dude who shot at me in '92 (very stupid misunderstanding) at a local restaurant. We're old timers now, we dapped it up, laughed a little, kept it moving. When you see people from that era it really is equivalent to the way veterans feel when they bump into someone from their old platoon or whatever. We survived a war.

Piri Tomas

All Star
Daps
Another question is how wild was chinatown back then:patrice:? Heard it used to take the drug game seriously.
Chinatown didn't have a wild reputation. It was always a tourist destination... whereas you couldn't pay them to come to our part of town.

The drug activity there was in weight, they weren't shooting it out over corners.