The Best Naevia (Spartacus)

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Naevia 2. More interesting character, better actress and a nicer person to work with irl.

Honestly Naevia 1 isn't really all that pretty without make up IMO

2uhmk4k.jpg

2ly36a0.jpg

Whereas Naevia 2 doesn't need make up to look pretty

600full-cynthia-addai--robinson.jpg

600full-cynthia-addai--robinson.jpg

Is she the better actress or did she just get more to work with? :patrice:

I liked them both. However, they really do seem like two different characters.

Cynthia is a better actress, by far. I've seen them both in other roles and Lesley wasnt good in any of them.

Vs

Plus Cynthia is an Emmy contender this year. :mjcry:

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Naevia 2. More interesting character, better actress and a nicer person to work with irl.

Honestly Naevia 1 isn't really all that pretty without make up IMO

2uhmk4k.jpg

2ly36a0.jpg

Whereas Naevia 2 doesn't need make up to look pretty

http://www.listal.com/viewimage/8698338
http://www.listal.com/viewimage/8734268

Cynthia is a better actress, by far. I've seen them both in other roles and Lesley wasnt good in any of them.

Vs

Plus Cynthia is an Emmy contender this year. :mjcry:

Cynthia is pretty. She look like the type who would look good just in her t-shirt and panties :wow:

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The OG Naevia. The 2nd was a mix of bad acting and even worse writing. She walked around with that stupid half confused / half angry face with her mouth agape in damn near every scene :upsetfavre:

Acting is about line delivery, not how your face looks. Naevia 1 always said her lines so emotionless, like she was reading it straight off the paper.

I don't know about looking half angry / half confused, but that's better than the empty, complete blank look Naevia 1 was doing all throughout season one and the prequel. :yeshrug:

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
OG Naevia will always be Naevia to me, just like Andy will always be Spartacus over Liam.

I dont think Crixus and her had the same chemistry after she was recast either.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Lesley-Ann but it's hard to see her as a warrior in the later seasons. Same could be said about Andy as the leader Spartacus became.

Yea I thought that too. :patrice:

The first one did play a tough chick on an episode of Gotham though
:yeshrug::ehh:

But you could see the fire in the eyes of the 2nd one :wow:

When was she in Gotham?

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
Acting is about line delivery, not how your face looks. Naevia 1 always said her lines so emotionless, like she was reading it straight off the paper.

I don't know about looking half angry / half confused, but that's better than the empty, complete blank look Naevia 1 was doing all throughout season one and the prequel. :yeshrug:

Of course facial expressions are a huge part in acting. She was a slave to the house since she was young (sex slave later on), so she really wasn't supposed to be that dynamic of a character who showed lots of emotion ouside of that.

Her affair with Crixus was supposed to make her act out of character and transform her from a meek slave and give her depth and, in my opinion, the actress did just that.

Naevia's heel turn towards Lucretia is a great example of the actress showing that she had range. If she had stuck around, a change in character (becoming a warrior/soldier) would've given us a chance to appreciate her progression even more

The 2nd chick had no chance to show her range outside of a few shades of angry, but just in that, she was damn near unwatchable to me in contrast to the OG :francis:

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Navea 1 :noah:
She had a better character and was sexier.

Navea 2 was kinda stiff. No real character development. She fine too though

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Of course facial expressions are a huge part in acting. She was a slave to the house since she was young (sex slave later on), so she really wasn't supposed to be that dynamic of a character who showed lots of emotion ouside of that.

Her affair with Crixus was supposed to make her act out of character and transform her from a meek slave and give her depth and, in my opinion, the actress did just that.

Naevia's heel turn towards Lucretia is a great example of the actress showing that she had range. If she had stuck around, a change in character (becoming a warrior/soldier) would've given us a chance to appreciate her progression even more

The 2nd chick had no chance to show her range outside of a few shades of angry, but just in that, she was damn near unwatchable to me in contrast to the OG :francis:

Those things you described (affair with Crixus) is about the character, not the actor's performance. Mira was also a house slave but Katrina Law was never so stiff and monotonous. I don't know, my acting pet peeve is underperforming. There's a line between subtly and wooden and IMO Naevia 1 was the latter. Look at the clip I posted earlier. If that's how she would have played Naevia than I'm glad she was gone. She can't even curse :huhldup:IMO Naevia 1 had overdone the innocent aspect of the character (speaking in that baby voice) by than that during that scene I couldn't see her making that turn convincingly. Missandei from Game of Thrones did a better job of portraying innocence without coming off as infantile as Naevia 1. She should have played it more like that. That's why Naevia 1 and 2 felt like two characters; they're opposites (save for Vengeance).

The character had the most depth in season two. She was justifiably bitter at times but you could still see the old her in her performance. We saw her progress from helplessness to learning to defend herself, dealing with her rape to being able to make love with Crixus again by the end of the season.

Overall I think Naevia 2 just came into the role at an unfortunate time. Had she played Naevia from the beginning she wouldn't really be seen as angry due to the characterization from the last season. I think they should have let her play slave Naevia in a full flashback so people could better make a connection with her first, instead of just seeing her having a panic attack in the forest.

Spartacus2x03_0299.jpg

Last edited:

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OG Naevia will always be Naevia to me, just like Andy will always be Spartacus over Liam.

I dont think Crixus and her had the same chemistry after she was recast either.

I get Andy/Liam but Cynthia became Naevia for me. When they reunite in the mines and she calls out for Crixus when Ashur takes him away, I felt her pain in my chest.:wow: Even though it was a new actress we never saw him on screen before, they had a sense of familiarity between them. Whereas Liam was struggling throughout Vengeance. I never got the impression Crixus knew this Spartacus.

Crixus actually had better chemistry with the second Naevia, he just had more romantic sex scenes with the first Naevia. The times where there was little to no angst as a distraction in the plot due to the war, the display of love and devotion was at its strongest. Crixus and the second Naevia have a dynamic together that wasn't there before. It also helps that Manu and Cynthia are friends in real life, and their bond shows on screen. But honestly Manu Bennett has chemistry with everyone lol.

During Crixus death scene Manu spoke about Cynthia basing his death on her father's, who she at the time only just met and died of cancer, and that she was crying for real in that scene. (That picture you always see of them with their heads together isn't from the episode, but afterward. She was still crying after the shot).

SPS3_308_090612_488_6x4.jpg

The way Crixus looks at her when he's about to be beheaded as Naevia watches. His apologetic look not for his own life but for her. That moment alone is the best representation of their relationship.

Crixus and Naevia never held a real conversation in the first season. They just made out and had sex. (When they did speak, it was always about Crixus frustration with his status as a champion while Naevia just nods her head or tries to cheer him up). They were obsessed with one another and confessed their love, but not much else. Also Manu always did it better that it felt kind of imbalanced between the two.

Last edited: