‘The Color Purple’ Lost Warner Bros $40 Million

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M
Let's see here are the 25 best Black movies this year. I think 2 to 3 fall in the Black trauma department. You bringing up alphabet gang is your issue. I wasn't even talking about that.

You got 20 something movies this year not about Black trauma. You don't know what you're talking about. lol

We’re talking bout the movie who get the major mainstream push. Most of those movies got very little promo and didnt make that big of an impact.

They “pushed the button” for Color Purple.l

Of course straight to streaming has everything the same was Tubi is overrun with hood movies.

Just like in music, of course there are positive female rappers. But Sexyy Red and that type are the ones getting pushed and casual people dont see the rest.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
We’re talking bout the movie who get the major mainstream push. Most of those movies got very little promo and didnt make that big of an impact.

They “pushed the button” for Color Purple.l

Of course straight to streaming has everything the same was Tubi is overrun with hood movies.

Just like in music, of course there are positive female rappers. But Sexyy Red and that type are the ones getting pushed and casual people dont see the rest.
They pushed the button for Creed 3 and the Little Mermaid to.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
James Baldwin was an incel and hated Black Women :troll:

You know it was bad when a gay black man who used black brute stereotypes in his own work is criticizing how we were characterized in the old movie.

RT the OG movie had some of the worst stereotypes of black men ever put on film. There was no need for another one. (All of Oprah's movies are like this).

"A gay black man who used black brute stereotypes in his own work" is a pretty reductive way to describe one of our greatest writers and thinkers. Not to mention it ignores the point he's making about the lost humanity of the brute, as well as presented a fuller picture of black men (good, bad, indifferent, ugly etc).

Alice Walker had a history of weird opinions and statements on black men. I'd argue she's pretty much a 1 of 1 when it comes to that, Oprah wise. I wouldn't call Toni Morrison a general hater of black men, and Oprah adapted one of his novels as well.

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
"A gay black man who used black brute stereotypes in his own work" is a pretty reductive way to describe one of our greatest writers and thinkers. Not to mention it ignores the point he's making about the lost humanity of the brute, as well as presented a fuller picture of black men (good, bad, indifferent, ugly etc).

Alice Walker had a history of weird opinions and statements on black men. I'd argue she's pretty much a 1 of 1 when it comes to that, Oprah wise. I wouldn't call Toni Morrison a general hater of black men, and Oprah adapted one of his novels as well.
The bluest eye winning a noble prize was a huge catalyst for todays anti black male attitudes. It helped to legitimize those attitudes in intellectual /academic circles and showed that it could be commercially profitable.

Its part of how Oprah' got rich. Purple..
women of Brewster place...Beloved .. same themes

Last edited:

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
It's really weird. I heard for years how the original was anti-man then I watched it and it was how one black man was abusive, and he even regretted how he behaved by the end. The amount of insecurity online about it is embarrassing. As if there werent a ton of abusive men in the community especially back then. Telling one woman's story is suddenly off limits
Same way ppl don't like black men and women portrayed as hoes/pimps, people, back then, did not want to see a black male portrayed as an evil patriarch throughout a major studio movie.

Here's a LA Times article from '85

Willis Edwards, president of the Hollywood/Beverly Hills branch of the National Assn. for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), said he found “Color Purple” “very powerful” and also “very stereotypical.”

“We’re happy that a lot of actors who happen to be black got to work and they did a fantastic job,” Edwards said. “They should all be nominated for awards. But for the black male, the movie is very degrading.”

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
The bluest eye winning a noble prize was a huge catalyst for todays anti black male attitudes. It helped to legitimize those attitudes in intellectual /academic circles and showed that it could be commercially profitable.

Its part of how Oprah' got rich. Purple..
women of Brewster place...Beloved .. same themes

I disagree for the simple fact that it was not an academic work. If you want to blame someone for infusing academia with anti-black male sentiment, you can blame bell hooks. And all the people who spent decades creating the circumstances we have today would point to bell hooks as the catalyst for their work, too.

Bluest Eye came out at a time (1970) when black academia was still heavily influenced by black power movements, the Black Panthers, black communist thought, etc. A decade later that was largely replaced by black intersectionality feminism, which has been the dominant "black thought," alongside critical race theory, ever since.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA
Daps
What happened to 'Black Girl Magic'!? :troll::russ:

I guess it only works on simps and other fools that think they must support crap because black people star and produce it.

All I know is that 'The Color Purple' musical failing has given me 'Black Boy Joy'!