‘The Color Purple’ Lost Warner Bros $40 Million

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Regarding Black trauma movies. Get introspective on why Jewish people say, 'never forget' while it seems we can't wait to forget our past unfortunate history.

The situations aren't remotely comparable.

Jews address trauma they've long since escaped while we're still actively dealing with trauma.

These movies aren't about education or a reminder of history they're reinforcing the negative imagery of perpetual struggle. It's like taking social studies as a kid and the only time black people are mentioned is slavery and civil rights. We don't need to see ourselves constantly being downtrodden victims.

Hollywood isn't pumping out holocaust movies at the same rate as black struggle movies.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps

Jews address trauma they've long since escaped while we're still actively dealing with trauma.

These movies aren't about education or a reminder of history they're reinforcing the negative imagery of perpetual struggle. It's like taking social studies as a kid and the only time black people are mentioned is slavery and civil rights. We don't need to see ourselves constantly being downtrodden victims.

Hollywood isn't pumping out holocaust movies at the same rate as black struggle movies.
:francis: Facts…remember this bs disgustingly disrespectful smh

MV5BNmE1Y2JjMDEtZDAyOC00NjFiLWJlNjAtMjA3MDMzZGUxMDViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA2MDQ3MTQ3._V1_.jpg

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
Tickets are expensive and people aren't trying to spend to see most movies...especially a movie they've either already watched or can watch at home for cheaper. That's why I don't understand the obsession with remakes. You're already uphill, trying to convince people to pay to see a movie they've already seen. On top of that, there's now a film we can directly compare yours to in terms of quality.

As for the topic and cast itself. I don't see many young black people being drawn to it. Remembering history is important, but for entertainment most want to see progression from this setting. A look at what the future could be, outside of gangs, and how some of the same struggles from the past can still appear there (although with a different winkle.)

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
It's really weird. I heard for years how the original was anti-man then I watched it and it was how one black man was abusive, and he even regretted how he behaved by the end. The amount of insecurity online about it is embarrassing. As if there werent a ton of abusive men in the community especially back then. Telling one woman's story is suddenly off limits
Plus it's historically accurate

Once slaves were freed, if you had a 14 year old girl, she'd end married to a grown man, because that was one of the only ways for her to survive

I read about in in the New Jim Crow

Black ppl crying about slave movies, when I dont even watch one a year, and meanwhile Zone of Silence just came out...

Meanwhile, the most ignorant music and social media content gets consumed on the daily and you don't hear outcry about that

Last edited:

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
It's really weird. I heard for years how the original was anti-man then I watched it and it was how one black man was abusive, and he even regretted how he behaved by the end. The amount of insecurity online about it is embarrassing. As if there werent a ton of abusive men in the community especially back then. Telling one woman's story is suddenly off limits

Here I was thinking the Color Purple was an universally loved black classic…then I come in here to see all these grown ass men whining and complaining about “anti-man propaganda” like insecure self-aggrieved cacs back lashing against black history month :mjlol:

The internet is destroying people’s minds

I took my mom to see it and thought it was cheesy as a musical…but never once considered all this silly ass incel babble attached to it

King Poetic

A.K.A. Duke Illington
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SeaBed
:francis: Facts…remember this bs disgustingly disrespectful smh

MV5BNmE1Y2JjMDEtZDAyOC00NjFiLWJlNjAtMjA3MDMzZGUxMDViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA2MDQ3MTQ3._V1_.jpg

True

However the movie made 50 million on a 17 million dollar budget.. which was good

Can’t understand why color purple was made for 100 million plus in this era where nobody isn’t going to the movies unless it’s a marvel or cartoon kids films

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
How do you pitch this movie being 100M? I guess they thought they would do LaLa Land numbers. White people don’t fool with black people like that and men don’t want to see it. So you literally have a 100M movie specifically for black women.
:pachaha:
Sistas did show up but there’s not enough. Economics 101.

Name the last black woman movie that hit 100M? Medea or Think Like a Man maybe. Both are comedies.

Who tested this movie and said, “Jimmy this will be a hit. Where Oprah?”
:mjlol:
Not sure if it's been brought up but Girls Trip did 140M.

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
It's almost as though black people are tired of seeing their pain used for entertainment.

The highest grossing movies made by black directors with a majority black cast are movies like black panther where black people are shown positively. Nah must just be a coincidence! Let's fire up another movie about black people being brutalized. :smugfavre:

“It was a Marvel movie”

:troll:

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
black film bombs = they stop making black movies

they not gonna look any further than that

yeah I caught that too breh

don't try to use this particular movie as an excuse not to make anymore Black movies, racist cars think they slick

ironically I was against a remake of The Color Purple when I first heard of the project

Hollywood in general just needs to put out new movies and chill with all the remakes

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Here I was thinking the Color Purple was an universally loved black classic…then I come in here to see all these grown ass men whining and complaining about “anti-man propaganda” like insecure self-aggrieved cacs back lashing against black history month :mjlol:

The internet is destroying people’s minds

I took my mom to see it and thought it was cheesy as a musical…but never once considered all this silly ass incel babble attached to it
Makes men look weak asf

It's honestly white ppl shyt

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
James Baldwin was an incel and hated Black Women :troll:

You know it was bad when a gay black man who used black brute stereotypes in his own work is criticizing how we were characterized in the old movie.

RT the OG movie had some of the worst stereotypes of black men ever put on film. There was no need for another one. (All of Oprah's movies are like this).

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

See my post about 20 something Black movies that came out in 2023 that weren't about, "reinforcing the negative imagery of perpetual struggle '. It's not as widespread as people are pretending. And like you just said we haven't exactly escaped it, so pointing to it and acknowledging the many reasons how we got there and where it has us now is appropriate.