The D-League could be so much more than what it currently is

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There are currently 22 teams in the dleague. Let's say every team got their own dleague affiliate.

Right now the average dleague salary is $19,000. It's unrealistic to expect anybody to forgo a college career in order to make a McDonald's salary.

Let's say they institute a salary cap of $1-2 million.

I think your average top prospect straight out of high school would rather make a six figure salary playing in the dleague than play in college for free.

Now imagine a dleague playoff tournament, but with top college prospects :banderas:

The dleague could stand on its own as a legit league, they would make good bread, and it would only cost every team a few million extra dollars per season :jawalrus:

Nah playa you just killed college hoops...fukk it get y'all money playas.

Last edited:

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
Y'all see how popular summer league gets in Vegas. Imagine if they would invest more money. I know the Knicks have been doing a good job up in westchester since Phil came to the franchise.

Drew League and Summer league games are packed to the brim with folks hungry for hoops action

If the NBA were to really put some effort and thought into the compensation and promotion of the d-league I am absolutely certain people will go watch

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
Carmelo Anthony Advocates for D-League Overhaul as Part of Next NBA CBA
By Adam Wells, Featured Columnist Oct 18, 2016
Carmelo Anthony believes he has a solution to help the NBA Development League actually be about player development.

Anthony would like to see the NBA completely overhaul the D-League system, per ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne: "If I had it my way, I'd rebrand the whole D-League. I'd rebrand it so it's not seen as a punishment."

In terms of actual proposals Anthony has to help create additional jobs in the D-League, Shelburne noted he is discussing two-way contracts in collective bargaining negotiations that allow players to play on a D-League team and an NBA team.

Anthony, who is vice president of the National Basketball Players Association, is also discussing increasing pay for D-League players and adding language to the collective bargaining agreement so all 30 NBA teams have an affiliated D-League club:

I'm a big advocate of developing our own players. If you look at soccer, for example, a lot of those clubs have top-notch academies. ... By me being in soccer now, I've started to understand the dynamics of developing your own players. We've got to keep our players here. We don't want them to have to go overseas.

The NBA D-League is entering its 16th season of existence, with the goal of serving as an outlet for players struggling in the NBA or in need of further growth to hone their skills in a professional setting.

The NBA and NBPA have the right to opt out of the current CBA before Dec. 15 in time for the 2017-18 season.

ESPN's Ian Begley and Dave McMenamin reported Sunday the union and players association have a meeting scheduled for Oct. 19, and there is "rising optimism" a new labor deal framework can be reached.

There are currently 22 D-League franchises. Being able to expand that number to 30 with a single affiliate for each NBA team would allow teams a better chance to develop their own talent, while also making it seem like players are not being cast away because they couldn't immediately cut it at the top level.

-----

Melo read the Coli :ohhh:

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
d-league bball wont kill college

And lets say it did have less people going to college and deciding to play in the d-league......well tough

protectionist policies because the NCAA wants free labor is stupid.....
The NBA likely also wants the free labor. NCAA is already a farm system for them.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The d-league could be an alternative to college where players don't have to travel halfway across the world and away from their families to make money, plus it's an actual NBA sanctioned league.

If the d-league offered legit salaries more players would be willing to play there than overseas.
I agree with you I dont think it will happen for two reasons. NBA is on good terms with the Euroleague so they dont want to undercut them and they want incentive for players to go to the NBA.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Overseas pays to well, although the best way to the nba is through the d league. But making 6 figures euro in Sweden , Germany that pittance you make in d league

Kane

#BonesGANG
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Carmelo Anthony Advocates for D-League Overhaul as Part of Next NBA CBA
By Adam Wells, Featured Columnist Oct 18, 2016
Carmelo Anthony believes he has a solution to help the NBA Development League actually be about player development.

Anthony would like to see the NBA completely overhaul the D-League system, per ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne: "If I had it my way, I'd rebrand the whole D-League. I'd rebrand it so it's not seen as a punishment."

In terms of actual proposals Anthony has to help create additional jobs in the D-League, Shelburne noted he is discussing two-way contracts in collective bargaining negotiations that allow players to play on a D-League team and an NBA team.

Anthony, who is vice president of the National Basketball Players Association, is also discussing increasing pay for D-League players and adding language to the collective bargaining agreement so all 30 NBA teams have an affiliated D-League club:

I'm a big advocate of developing our own players. If you look at soccer, for example, a lot of those clubs have top-notch academies. ... By me being in soccer now, I've started to understand the dynamics of developing your own players. We've got to keep our players here. We don't want them to have to go overseas.

The NBA D-League is entering its 16th season of existence, with the goal of serving as an outlet for players struggling in the NBA or in need of further growth to hone their skills in a professional setting.

The NBA and NBPA have the right to opt out of the current CBA before Dec. 15 in time for the 2017-18 season.

ESPN's Ian Begley and Dave McMenamin reported Sunday the union and players association have a meeting scheduled for Oct. 19, and there is "rising optimism" a new labor deal framework can be reached.

There are currently 22 D-League franchises. Being able to expand that number to 30 with a single affiliate for each NBA team would allow teams a better chance to develop their own talent, while also making it seem like players are not being cast away because they couldn't immediately cut it at the top level.

-----

Melo read the Coli :ohhh:

:wow:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Drew League and Summer league games are packed to the brim with folks hungry for hoops action

If the NBA were to really put some effort and thought into the compensation and promotion of the d-league I am absolutely certain people will go watch
Drew League and Summer League feature players who are in the league already. Not the same thing as going to watch career journeymen and nobodies in D-League on a cold ass night in Maine. The D-League is not only seen as a punishment but coaches don't like it either. They'd rather you get no PT and learn from watching and practicing than learning bad habits in D-League.

The D-League will never fukk with overseas leagues simply because America doesn't fukk with minor leagues. Overseas, those are their pro squads.

Y'all gotta remember too: there's 60 picks in a draft. 10-15 of them will probably be overseas guys. So 45 spots roughly for guys here to get picked. Now you're gonna try to get a higher selection in the anonymity of the D-League while collegiate guys are getting enough shine to overshadow you?