The Descendants of African Slave Merchants Are Still Alive And Honored

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Here is more about the people of Benin and their role in the Transatlantic Slave Trade

The Story of Africa| BBC World Service
GROWING RICH WITH SLAVERY

ROYALTY

In the early 18th century, Kings of Dahomey (known today as Benin) became big players in the slave trade, waging a bitter war on their neighbours, resulting in the capture of 10,000, including another important slave trader, the King of Whydah. King Tegbesu made £250,000 a year selling people into slavery in 1750. King Gezo said in the 1840's he would do anything the British wanted him to do apart from giving up slave trade:

"The slave trade is the ruling principle of my people. It is the source and the glory of their wealth…the mother lulls the child to sleep with notes of triumph over an enemy reduced to slavery…"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some info about King Gezo...a slave trader and let's not get into the fact that the people of Benin conducted human sacrifices...so they doing all types of fukked up shyt....

So they would capture other tribes and sell them or kill them in a human sacrifice...

This is how fukked up it was and the British tried to stop it...and all these kings of Benin and tribes lived next to each other and this is what they were doing to each other...killing each other or just selling each other to White people...

This is the lifestyle that these kings created for their people...this how we got sold into the Americas...this is why for New World Blacks (those of us who origins start in the Americas) saying we were kings and queens in Africa is fukking stupid. This is in the 1800s and the people of Benin were still doing backwards shyt like enslavement and human sacrifices. British people already passed that and trying to stop it out of a sense of "civilization" and human decency...you know the White Man's Burden.

Don't let White people and their fetishization of royalty and glorification of their historical triumphs which is nothing but tales of conquest and enslavement (85 percent give or take) make you blind to the historical reality of African royalty and Africa during the period of the Transatlantic Slave Trade. It wasn't pretty.

Ghezo - Wikipedia
Ghezo or Gezo was King of the Dahomey, in present-day Benin, from 1818 until 1858. Ghezo replaced his brother Adandozan (who ruled from 1797 to 1818) as king through a coup with the assistance of the Brazilian slave trader Francisco Félix de Sousa. He ruled over the kingdom during a tumultuous period, punctuated by the British blockade of the ports of Dahomey in order to stop the Atlantic slave trade. Ghezo finally ended Dahomey's tributary status to the Oyo empire but also dealt with significant domestic dissent and pressure from the British to end the slave trade. He promised to end the slave trade in 1852, but resumed slave efforts in 1857 and 1858. Ghezo died in 1858, possibly assassinated, and his son Glele became the new king.

By January 1852, Ghezo signed an agreement (along with both the Migan and the Mehu) with the British. The agreement specified that Ghezo was to end the slave trade from Dahomey.[6] The British believed that Ghezo never implemented the provisions of this treaty, although he believed he did comply by stopping slave trade through Dahomey's ports even though he allowed slaves to be traded from Dahomey to other ports and then sold into the slave trade.[6]

The decrease in the slave trade resulted in additional reforms during the last years of Ghezo's rule. He significantly reduced the wars and slave raids by the kingdom and in 1853 told the British that he reduced the practice of human sacrifice at the Annual Customs (possibly ending sacrifice of war captives completely and only sacrificing convicted criminals).[6] However, these positions were reversed dramatically in 1857 and 1858 as Ghezo became hostile to the British; he revived slave trade through the port of Whydah, and in 1858 attacked Abeokuta. The attack on Abeokuta was apparently resisted by Ghezo, but there was such significant domestic pressure for the attack that he allowed it to happen.[6]

-----

Last edited:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
Before I even read this I bet this is about that Portuguese slave trader in dahomey who had kids with local women and used those family connections to manage his dealings. His offspring still remain in the area and folks like to rehash the story every year or so.(Lewis gates likes put them in damn near any doc on African history he makes)

Did I win?? :mjgrin:

EDIT:
It's always either...
  • That guy in dahomey
  • Tippu Tip in zanzibar
  • Muhammad Ibn Battuta talking bout ghana/mali
  • "mohammed ali" in the sudan
Typically the same 4 people recycled over and over again in relation to these stories:yeshrug:

Last edited:

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Let's talk about the Lady of Lagos, Slave Trader, Aristocrat Madan Tinubu....

Madam-Tinubu-e1458463843785.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=K...#v=onepage&q=madam tinubu descendants&f=false

Efunroye Tinubu - Wikipedia

Tinubu was born in the Ojokodo forest area of Egbaland. Her father's name was Olumosa.[1] She was allegedly of Owu ancestry, either through her maternal or paternal side.[1] Madam Tinubu was reportedly married multiple times. Her first marriage was to an Owu man. It bore two sons.[4] After her Owu husband died, she remarried the exiled Oba Adele Ajosun in 1833 who, while visiting Abeokuta, was charmed by Tinubu. She moved with the exiled Oba to Badagry, which was traditionally the place of refuge for Lagos monarchs. At Badagry, she exploited Adele's connections to build a formidable business trading in tobacco, salt, and slaves.[5]

In December 1851 and under the pretext of abolishing slavery, the British bombarded Lagos, dislodged Kosoko from the throne, and installed a more amenable Akitoye as Oba of Lagos. Though Akitoye signed a treaty with Britain outlawing the slave trade, Tinubu subverted the 1852 treaty[11] and secretly traded slaves for guns with Brazilians and Portuguese traders.[12] Further, she obtained a tract of land from Akitoye which now constitutes part of the present-day Tinubu Square and Kakawa Street. Later, a conflict developed between Tinubu and some slave traders including Possu, a Kosoko loyalist. Consequently, Possu, Ajenia, and other traders tried to instigate an uprising against Akitoye because of Madam Tinubu's influence in Lagos. In the interest of peace, Benjamin Campbell, the British Consul in Lagos, asked Akitoye to exile Tinubu [13]. After Akitoye died, Tinubu returned to Lagos and gave her support to his successor, Dosunmu. Under Dosunmu's reign Tinubu had a massive security force composed of slaves and she sometimes executed orders usually given by the king. As a result, Dosunmu grew wary of her influence in Lagos.[9] A new development was the colonial government's support for the return of repatriated captives (mostly of Yoruba heritage) to settle in Lagos. Many of the returnees, also called Saro, were favored by the British in commerce and soon began dominating legitimate trade in Lagos.[14]

Madam Tinubu: Inside the political and business empire of a 19th century heroine - The Nation Nigeria
European accounts of Madam Tinubu’s political and commercial influence in the 19th century, Nigeria had painted a horrid picture, describing her as an unrepentant slave trader who practiced extreme cruelty towards her slaves and domestic servants.

The European sentiments may be justified when considered in the light of Tinubu’s opposition to foreign domination of trade and politics in Lagos. When she returned with Prince Adele to Lagos, she continued her trade in arms, slaves and began to exert her influence as the queen.

Merchants didn’t come bigger than Tinubu. She bought slaves from the hinterland and sold to the Europeans at the coast at exorbitant prices, using her shrewd business acumen, she managed to monopolise the trade, preventing Europeans from dealing directly with the hinterland. Her slaves also ran her trade in palm-oil, cotton, elephant tusk, alcoholic drinks etc.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Before I get into Madam Tinubu's descendants...since they are still around running shyt...

Let's look into Madam Tinubu's friends...Efunsetan Aniwura one of the most powerful Yoruba women of all time

Ima show you what African slavery looked like...since we got this lie...that being a slave in Africa was just like being a maid or some shyt..you were a member of the family...African slavery was more peaceful than European slavery...nah...you was treated like shyt...beheaded, tortured, raped, human sacrificed...all of that...

Efunsetan Aniwura, the most powerful Yoruba woman of her time
It is believed in some quarters that Efunsetan Aniwura was born in the 1790s. There is no concrete evidence to back this up. Aniwura was said to be a friend and rival to Madam Tinubu who was born in 1805 according to history. If Madam Tinubu's year of birth is correct it would mean that Efunsetan Aniwura was indeed born in the 1790s for them to have been friends.

Madam Tinubu was then regarded as the richest woman in the Yoruba kingdom. If so, Efunsetan Aniwura was regarded as the most powerful. Born to an Egba father, Ogunrin who hailed from Egba Oke-Ona.

History does have it that she had up to 2000 slaves who worked on her farms. Apart from investing in the flourishing agriculture scene in Yoruba land during this period, she dealt in arms and ammunition. She influenced politics, was a stakeholder in talks on peace and war. Efunsetan had warriors of her own and lent them regularly to Ibadan during military expeditions. It is also claimed that she also had military training and took part in some campaigns.

On May 1st 1874, Aare Ona Kakanfo Latoosa deposed Efunsetan Aniwura, replacing her with her lieutenant. Although Efunsetan sought forgiveness and paid the fines imposed on her, Latoosa never wavered and she never regained her title. Due to this, Efunsetan focused her anger even more intensely on her slaves.

Lagos, Slave Trade and the Founding Fathers, By Damola Awoyokun – Premium Times Opinion
Efunsetan Aniwura the Iyalode of Ibadan had several farms and households full of slaves. She made it an abomination for slaves to love or to make love. When one of her slaves became visibly pregnant, she marched her to the Ibadan town square and beheaded her there herself.

http://www.ijiet.org/papers/387-N10017.pdf
Efunsetan Aniwura ordered her slaves to beat a palm dresser, old Ogunjinmi to death for supposedly encroaching on her property and killed her pregnant slaves (especially Adetutu). She also tied some of the male slaves to stakes as punishment for tardiness in their work. She terrorized the slaves through verbal abuse, threat of death, corporal punishment, and even cold-blooded murder.

Last edited:

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Also I wanna point out that a couple of "African History", "Black History" sites are saying shyt like Madam Tinubu was a patriot and fighting against the British and freeing slaves...despite making all her money, and having her entire business ran by slaves...

The British banned the slave trade in 1807 and had their military forces...out there policing the slave trade...
Slave Trade Act 1807 - Wikipedia

And banned slavery altogether in 1833
Slavery Abolition Act 1833 - Wikipedia

The British told African kingdoms, countries...whatever the fukk they were...to give up the slave trade...

Africans were like are you fukking crazy...we ain't giving this shyt up...and were continued trading with the Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilians...

Okay so...you had Africans who were in business with the British right...betray the British right...by working with England's rivals...which most of these Africans did...which is why the British had an issue with a lot of African kingdoms (nations, countries...whatever you wanna call them...)

Madam Tinubu's friend and business partner was killing slaves left and right

The Transatlantic slave trade existed well into the late 1800s

Sooo...Madam Tinubu...wasn't freeing got damn slaves...especially when Africans used the slave trade to get weapons to fight their wars and shyt...she was selling slaves to fight off the British and other enemies...as stated before...

Also...it's really hard finding good information on these African slave traders...

Like really damn hard...and I don't feel like downloading a whole book...for like 2 paragraphs...and then uploading it on here...I might upload some google book links...since that's the best way to go about it...

So I try to find comprehensive articles by other Africans...and weed through the bullshyt that try to make this shyt "not so bad"...

There's a lot of not-so-badism...

Last edited:

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
All I know is my ancestors were taken from there - as my highest percentage is from Benin/Togo followed by Cameroon/Congo and Mali.
It's funny that you say that because that was my highest African DNA percentage from ancestry as well and reading that article made me immediately think about it.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
All I know is my ancestors were taken from there - as my highest percentage is from Benin/Togo followed by Cameroon/Congo and Mali.

It's funny that you say that because that was my highest African DNA percentage from ancestry as well and reading that article made me immediately think about it.
did you guys use ancestrydna? my sister and i are thinking about using that. i know i have some Mandingo ancestry. i have some Haitian ancestry so its likely i also have Benin/Togo ancestry too:ehh:

Last edited:

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
did you guys use ancestrydna? my sister and i are thinking about using that. i know i have some Mandingo ancestry. i have some Haitian ancestry so its likely i also have Benin/Togo ancestry too:ehh:
Yeah it was through ancestry, I also suprisingly have a high south eastern bantu percentage which I also found interesting and, I would not be surprised if you had high a Benin/Togo percentage since you have some Haitian ancestry and because, from what info I gathered the Yorubas weren't just slave traders but, many were also captured and sent to the Americas as well.