The Descendants of African Slave Merchants Are Still Alive And Honored

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Yeah it was through ancestry, I also suprisingly have a high south eastern bantu percentage which I also found interesting and, I would not be surprised if you had high a Benin/Togo percentage since you have some Haitian ancestry and because, from what info I gathered the Yorubas weren't just slave traders but, many were also captured and sent to the Americas as well.
a shyt load of Yoruba were taken to the Americas, especially to Brazil and the Spanish Caribbean. the Yoruba also came as indentured servants aftter the end of the slave trade to the Caribbean.
one of the reasons they retained so much Yoruba culture is most Yoruba were sent to the Americas towards the end of the slave trade. if i'm not mistaken the Beninese were selling alot of Yoruba

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Yeah it was through ancestry, I also suprisingly have a high south eastern bantu percentage which I also found interesting and, I would not be surprised if you had high a Benin/Togo percentage since you have some Haitian ancestry and because, from what info I gathered the Yorubas weren't just slave traders but, many were also captured and sent to the Americas as well.

@Dip - Ancestry as well.

Yeah, I think that Benin/Togo comes up as one of the top three for most AADOS.

I was surprised by Mali though. I have a few friends from Mali and they are all sweethearts - so I was happy to see the country in my results.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
@Dip - Ancestry as well.

Yeah, I think that Benin/Togo comes up as one of the top three for most AADOS.

I was surprised by Mali though. I have a few friends from Mali and they are all sweethearts - so I was happy to see the country in my results.
Mali is the origin of Mande people i believe which is more common in AAs than other diasporic groups i believe
@Akan @LordCashmere @IllmaticDelta

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Mali is the origin of Mande people i believe which is more common in AAs than other diasporic groups i believe

Most Mande people were sent to the Carolinas (as far as the USA is concerned) as they were skilled in Rice cultivation.

Much of the Muslim slaves were Mande, in particular Mandingo.

These slaves were mainly sourced from the Senegambia and Windward coast.

Also many argue that these slaves are the ones who created the Blues in the USA (listen to music from the Sahel and it is pretty evident).

My thoughts is as the Shahel kingdoms began to decline people from these kingdoms were sold into slavery which is why much of them moved south as there was a ton of political drama going on.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I may be wrong, but the earliest that I have seen them was in the Kingdom of Ghana (Wagadu), which was located in the areas of the modern countries of Western Mali, Southeastern Mauritania, Northwestern Guinea and eastern Senegal. Ghana was founded by a specific group of Mande people called the Soninke (also called Sarakole, Seraculeh, or Serahuli).

8255282.jpg

Tichitt-Walata in Mauritania predates the Kingdom of Ghana.

2ujh91z.jpg

mauritanie-tichit-la-ville-qui-souffre-reportage.jpg

Different Mande people ended up moving to different regions, most notably further into Senegal, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Gambia.

The most famous of Mande people are the Mandingos, but the Dogon are also famous. Other Mande people are the Mende, Vai, Susu, Soninke, Kpelle, Loco, etc.

It has always been unclear to me the Mande people connection to the Berber people, but those two groups have lived in close proximity to each other for a very long time.

Last edited:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All I know is my ancestors were taken from there - as my highest percentage is from Benin/Togo followed by Cameroon/Congo and Mali.

Those regions should not be taken literally though. It just indicates that the people that you tested most closely to, where from that region or a region nearby. Ancestry didn't test every region, so your DNA is connected the next region closest to it. For example if you have a high Ivory Coast/Ghana test score and you are an African American with historical roots in the coastal areas of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and North Florida then your ancestors are almost certainly from Sierra Leone, Liberia or even Guinea and Guinea Bissau.

AncestryDna does not test for Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea and Guinea Bissau, so you are assigned Ivory Coast/Ghana, because that is the closest regional DNA to your results. If you have a high Togo/Benin result then you are probably connected to Burkina Faso, as much as you are connected to Togo or Benin.

AncestryDNA Regions

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Most Mande people were sent to the Carolinas (as far as the USA is concerned) as they were skilled in Rice cultivation.

Much of the Muslim slaves were Mande, in particular Mandingo.

These slaves were mainly sourced from the Senegambia and Windward coast.

Also many argue that these slaves are the ones who created the Blues in the USA (listen to music from the Sahel and it is pretty evident).

My thoughts is as the Shahel kingdoms began to decline people from these kingdoms were sold into slavery which is why much of them moved south as there was a ton of political drama going on.

I think that the decline happened long before that, because when the Kingdom of Songhay cut off the trade routes of the Kingdom of Mali to the North. Mali wasn't able to get salt at that point so they had to shift their trade routes towards the Atlantic Ocean, which is what led to the "Mane Invasion" (Mande Invasion), into the modern countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone and other countries. From what I read the Mande were going west to to get salt from the Atlantic Ocean.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
a shyt load of Yoruba were taken to the Americas, especially to Brazil and the Spanish Caribbean. the Yoruba also came as indentured servants aftter the end of the slave trade to the Caribbean.
one of the reasons they retained so much Yoruba culture is most Yoruba were sent to the Americas towards the end of the slave trade. if i'm not mistaken the Beninese were selling alot of Yoruba

That is actually correct. That is when the Fulani leader Usman Dan Fodio sacked the Yoruba Kingdoms to the South in modern day Nigeria. Those wars began in about 1804. The significance of that date is that the slave trade directly from Africa to the USA was abolished in 1807. Some most of the slaves from the Fulani wars in Nigeria ended up being taken to the Caribbean and South America.

Once in the Caribbean a lot of slaves taken from Nigeria ended up in the USA.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I think that the decline happened long before that, because when the Kingdom of Songhay cut off the trade routes of the Kingdom of Mali to the North. Mali wasn't able to get salt at that point so they had to shift their trade routes towards the Atlantic Ocean, which is what led to the "Mane Invasion" (Mande Invasion), into the modern countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone and other countries. From what I read the Mande were going west to to get salt from the Atlantic Ocean.

My tribe began to trickle into Liberia/Ivory Coast in like the as early as the late 1500s, but in bigger numbers in the 1600s-1700s. The Kru tribe was in the county my parents were from before my Tribe got there, and my tribe pushed them south. Mande Groups like the Vai were established in the Coastal Liberia and I believe were one of the tribes the Free blacks and US navy came into contact with when they reached Liberia. My tribe the Mano, and Mandingo from what I understand were escaping Political turmoil. I know when it comes to my Paternal Side, my Great Great Grandfather came into Liberia from the Upper Nimba range (I believe that would be considered Guinea? as the Nimba range extends from Guinea to the Ivory Coast), and if we assume generations of being say 30 years or so (could be much older since dudes were having kids until old have) I`d think they got there sometime in the mid 1800s (I think around the time Samori Toure was battling the French so this could maybe be some reason my fam went south, but thats just me making assumptions and I could be totally wrong).

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Different Mande people ended up moving to different regions, most notably further into Senegal, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Gambia.

The most famous of Mande people are the Mandingos, but the Dogon are also famous. Other Mande people are the Mende, Vai, Susu, Soninke, Kpelle, Loco, etc.

It has always been unclear to me the Mande people connection to the Berber people, but those two groups have lived in close proximity to each other for a very long time.

bambara too

The Samba rebellion was a purported slave rebellion, described by the French historian Antoine-Simon Le Page du Pratz in his Histoire de la Louisiane. The revolt is said to have taken place in 1731, in what was then French Louisiana. Contemporary with the Natchez revolt, it was personified to its alleged leader, a slave called Samba Bambara (a member of the Bambara people from West Africa).[1] While Le Page du Pratz gives a brief recollection of the events, which was more a conspiracy to revolt rather than an actual revolt, his information is not verified by any existent official documents.[2]

The African-born[3] Samba is reported to have participated in a number of revolts back in Africa, and during transit to Louisiana. He is also presented by Le Page du Pratz as having served the French as an interpreter, and a slave overseer. The insurrection was due to take place in June 1731, but is said to have been revealed to the colonial authorities after an argument between an angry slave woman and a drunken French marine. Le Page du Pratz, according to himself, participated in arresting the involved slaves. While Samba refused to reveal any information even under torture, eight other slaves did not. All involved individuals were publicly executed on Place d'Armes, Jackson Square in New Orleans. The sole woman involved was hanged, while the men were killed by use of the breaking wheel.[2][4]

In 1936, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People of W. E. B. Du Bois wrote in its magazine The Crisis that the plan of the slaves was to kill all the whites, and enslave all other African slaves not members of the Bambara people.[5]

Samba rebellion - Wikipedia

EdJo

Banned
Daps
There are a lot more cases of slave merchants families. In present day, some of these families are the richest in the continent.

The richest family lineages in Angola, used to own slaves. Mainly the Van-Dúnem family.

Van-Dúnem are the product of a Dutch slave trader who went to Angola, married with a local woman, had multiple kids, and their kids also became slave traders.

Then you have cases like the Dos Santos family, Vieira Dias family, Pinto de Andrade family and a lot more.

Dos Santos family is a mix between portuguese and angolans. Funny part is, many of the members of these families(Van-Dúnem, Vieira Dias and Dos Santos), ended up marrying each other.

And, they were not only trading in Angola, they were also trading slaves in São Tomé and São Tomé. Some of the Van-Dúnem kids went to make a fortune in São Tomé and Cape Verde, as slave traders.

Our last president, José Eduardo Dos Santos, is also part of the Van-Dúnem family, but the São Tomé's branch. Something that he tried to hide for years.

This is a book that relates the story of the Van-Dúnem family. The author, a portuguese-angolan, by the name of Pepetela, had to change the real names. He was getting a lot messages from the powerful family.

A Gloriosa Família - Wikipedia

There is also the story of Dona Ana Joaquina(1788 - 1859). She was a very famous and rich slave trader in Luanda. Portuguese father, Angolan mother. She built a mansion in Luanda and many farms around the capital, on the back of slavery.

This is an old picture of her palace
x6evbq.jpg

Now, it is our house of laws
11ah6aq.jpg

Justice in a Portuguese slave store

Angolans, in general, do not trust creole or mixed people, not only because of slavery, it is because in our biggest revolutions, they mostly stayed on the other side. Even the ones with black fathers. It wasn't until they saw that the Portuguese were about to loose, that they decided to fight with the native population. And in places like Cape Verde, they still practice a caste system.

EdJo

Banned
Daps
Also, the Catholic Church was one of the biggest slave companies in Angola. They had yards of slaves, and those yards were like "banks". I know many of you are super religious and don't like this part...

In portuguese:
"Na Baixa de Luanda fica um dos lugares marcantes da Rota da Escravatura: a Igreja do Carmo, construída no século XVII. «Depois do abandono do zimbo, uma moeda antiga, começaram a usar uma moeda viva — os homens», diz Simão Souindoula. “A Igreja não escapou nesse movimento. Aqui havia um quintalão de escravos, que é a ‘reserva’, o ‘banco central’”, aponta. “Eram cambiados com os produtos que os padres precisavam — este é um exemplo da articulação da Igreja com o tráfico de escravos.”

Pela Igreja do Carmo passaram milhares de escravos, muitos vindos do interior. Luanda era uma cidade esclavagista. A relação da Igreja Católica com a escravatura era comercial, sublinha. “A Igreja fazia parte do corpo económico da cidade, também precisava de escravos domésticos; então, como em toda a parte, houve esta ligação fatal. A Igreja tinha consciência de que esta prática não era humana. O Vaticano também queria a evangelização e um dos meios era utilizar os escravos como cristãos."

In english:

"In the Baixa de Luanda(Downtown Luanda) is one of the places marked by the Route of Slavery: the Igreja do Carmo (Carmos's Church), built in the 17th century. "After the abandonment of the zimbo, an old coin, they began to use a living currency - men," says Simao Souindoula. "The Church did not escape in this movement. Here was a backyard of slaves, which was the 'reserve', the 'central bank', "he points out. "Slaves were exchanged with the products the priests needed - this is an example of the Church's articulation with the slave trade."

Thousands of slaves passed through the Carmo's Church, many from the interior. Luanda was a slave town. The relationship between the Catholic Church and slavery was commercial, she says. "The Church was part of the economic body of the city, it also needed domestic slaves; then, as everywhere, there was this fatal connection. The Church was aware that this practice was not human. The Vatican also wanted evangelization and one means was to use the slaves as Christians. "

Angola: O grande "produtor" de escravos

Last edited:

EdJo

Banned
Daps
I forgot to mention this in my previous posts. Many of these families are also proud of what they did. They are modern day c00ns. Live like Europeans, spend most of their stolen money in Europe and totally proud of their slave trading roots.

I heard in the past an argument between 2 guys. One was from the Van-Dúnem family, and the other was from a relatively new rich family(they made money with steel).

The Van-Dúnem guy openly said, "That's why we used to sell you guys. Useless people". And to be honest, i don't believe the other guy understood the meaning of that, because he was just laughing. At the time, i also didn't understand what he was talking.:snoop:

Last edited: