The Myth of the 'War' Between Science and Religion

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Religion is the structure around which spirituality is practiced, they go hand in hand but are NOT the same thing.

Spirituality is defined by your belief in thing(s) spiritual. My text only lends guidance as to how I might go about understanding and becoming closer with those spiritual things.

Never argued i wasn't a "Christian Spiritual". But to specifically define what I believe in...
1. I believe JC is the son of God
2. I believe he died for my sins.
3. I believe his death paved the way for me to gain eternal salvation.
:manny:

Not sure how that makes my stance disingenuous...

Are those things taken from a text or not? Did you exist in a vacuum and had a spiritual connection to learn these things or did you read them (or had it passed on from someone who read it or wrote it)?

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Not the actual passing of the stories, but the uniformity.​

I did​

Nowhere in this thread did I state anything about only Judeo-Christian texts being 'true and supernatural'.

Are you paying attention to the thread or just trying to argue with me......as usual?
:popcorn:

Uniformity of what?

The fact that you also said this:

Nowhere in this thread did I state anything about only Judeo-Christian texts being 'true and supernatural'.

suggests there is non-uniformity.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
Are those things taken from a text or not? Did you exist in a vacuum and had a spiritual connection to learn these things or did you read them (or had it passed on from someone who read it or wrote it)?
I was exposed to them via family and text but ultimately chose what I believe based on my own experience and study. I imagine you were also exposed and chose, we just chose differently.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
Lul'z @ people in this thread somehow using one religion as a a representation for them all

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
NZA said:
sounds like god of the gaps

Considering that phrase was coined by a Christian evangelist (Henry Drummond) over 100 years ago in order to criticize those who didn't understand science, atheists/critics using it to criticize those who hold a religious belief now is rather ironic.
There are reverent minds who ceaselessly scan the fields of Nature and the books of Science in search of gaps--gaps which they will fill up with God. As if God lived in gaps? What view of Nature or of Truth is theirs whose interest in Science is not in what it can explain but in what it cannot, whose quest is ignorance not knowledge, whose daily dread is that the cloud may lift, and who, as darkness melts from this field or from that, begin to tremble for the place of His abode? What needs altering in such finely-jealous souls is at once their view of Nature and of God. Nature is God's writing, and can only tell the truth; God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.

The Ascent of Man, pg. 333

Just proves how atheism has stagnated while religious belief keeps evolving.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
Turk3 said:
Lul'z @ people in this thread somehow using one religion as a a representation for them all

They really didn't read what was posted and keep trying to wage a mythical 'war' with history instead of the present.

Religion has progressed while they are stuck in the 19th Century fighting an institution that doesn't exist.​

Thsnnor

Believer in Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jesus
I think its interesting how science has disproved evolution but you don't hear it talked about openly. It's always been evolution vs. intelligent design. Its seems to always fall down on the anvil of Christianity (not referring to Roman Catholicism). Scientists (physicists and such) have said thus far ... better yet let me get the quote...

"Many scientists have been willing to comment on the philosophical consequences of the Big Bang Theory. For example, Arno Penzias, co-discoverer of the microwave background radiation and 1978 Nobel Prize recipient in physics, stated to the New York Times on March 12, 1978:
The best data we have (concerning the big bang) are exactly what I would have predicted, had I nothing to go on but the five books of Moses, the Psalms, the Bible as a whole."

A somewhat more sober assessment of the big bang ripples observations was given one week later in the Los Angeles Times by Frederick Burnham, a science-historian. He said, "These findings, now available, make the idea that God created the universe a more respectable hypothesis today than at any time in the last 100 years."

and finally

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”
Robert Jastrow, God and the Astronomers

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
Thsnnor said:
I think its interesting how science has disproved evolution but you don't hear it talked about openly.

:whoa:

There are issues with the theory, but science hasn't disproved it and being a 'believer' doesn't mean one has to choose between accepting the premises of the theory vs. accepting the tenets of your religion......

wize fool

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You have people who don't believe fresh and salt water can mix because of religious texts, even after you show them.

No one ever said "they don't mix."

Qur'an 55:19-20 said:
19) He has let free the two bodies of flowing water, meeting together: 20) Between them is a Barrier which they do not transgress.

~~~~~~~~|~|~~~~~~~~

Salt water |~| Fresh water

|~| = Brackish water = Barrier (a physical barrier proven by science yet you still deny)

groundwater_lge.png

Please refrain from using your own lack of understanding as "proof" of anything.

Show me one 7th century scientist who was talking about brackish water or forever stay silent on things you clearly fail to grasp.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
No one ever said "they don't mix."

~~~~~~~~|~|~~~~~~~~

Salt water |~| Fresh water

|~| = Brackish water = Barrier (a physical barrier proven by science yet you still deny)

groundwater_lge.png

Please refrain from using your own lack of understanding as "proof" of anything.

Show me one 7th century scientist who was talking about brackish water or forever stay silent on things you clearly fail to grasp.

Brackish water is a mix of the two waters. The "barrier" is a gradual mix.

It may result from mixing of seawater with fresh water,

So they mix. You purposely showed only an example of a Brackish aquifer and not Brackish water as the result of fresh and salt water mixing like where rivers and the sea meet.

You're exactly the example I was talking about. You will twist science and reality to conform to your religion at whatever the cost.

wize fool

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL

wize fool

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:russ: Religion.

A barrier that doesn't obstruct the mixing of two waters, but instead is literally caused by the two waters meeting and mixing.

:mjlol:

Were you expecting to see one of these
Portador-No-Obstaculizador.png
in the middle of the sea?

Or are "mix" and "barrier" the same words in Portuguese?
Perhaps the language barrier is what's preventing you from embarrassing yourself. :lupe:

Você entende?