The NBA has more parity than the NFL. Why aren't ppl watching?

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Marketing. The GREEN BAY PACKERS who play in a city of 100,000 people have more national clot and presence than most NBA teams. Presentation is everything. The NFL is great at urgency and making things seem important. Cowboys haven’t won anything in 30 years but they’re still Americas team. The Florida Marlins have more championships in the last 30 years than the Cowboys and absolutely NO one cares about the Marlins.

Also football is appointment viewing. Sunday afternoon and Monday night AND it’s on the channels everyone has. Free OTA channels (except ESPN for MNF). Most people don’t work Sunday so they’ll catch a game even if it’s not their home team. Fox or CBS if you wanna watch games, period. Not fox sports 6 or BALLYS 6 for nba or baseball coverage.
The Packers are also one of the 3 original teams still playing. They had a Dynasty in the 30s/40s, 60s, and a transcendent star in the 90s. They have been synomous with success in the NFL for almost 90 years. That brand recognition matters.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If the Panthers being successful is bad for business, why have them around? Fans wanna win and if the possibility of it isn't there, you're gonna tune out.

I don’t think it’s that Panthers or Jags being good is bad for business, it’s just the uncomfortable truth that some teams are more valuable/garner more interest.

The Rays winning a WS isn’t bad for baseball, but will it generate the same level of hype that the Yankees or Cubs winning would?

My guess: Parity is better for regular season game ratings. Giving all fans a reason to watch each game. Even better NFL has 17 games.

Post season is still about matchups and star power.

Biggest benefit of parity is it gives the league the ability to sell hope to fanbases. 90% of NFL teams fanbases can go into the season convincing themselves that if things go right they can make the playoffs. 90% of the fanbases that make the playoffs can convince themselves that if things go right their team can make a SB run

DaMos Supreme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is the real answer.

If the NBA season was only 16–17 games with the playoffs being win-or-go home games, the ratings would increase exponentially.

Most people don't have time to keep up with 82 (or more) games; it's also why the MLB with their 162-game season faded from the spotlight decades ago. "Ain't nobody got time for that".
A reduction in games would give way to urgency and I wouldn’t doubt a ratings increase in response to that…..But that’s oversimplifying and ignoring other factors. I’m :flabbynsick: and didn’t recall much talk or articles about 82 games being too much during the 80’s and 90’s or the early 00’s. I think presentation, racial dynamics, cultural dynamics, expendability, urgency, and convenience are other factors as well.

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
A reduction in games would give way to urgency and I wouldn’t doubt a ratings increase in response to that…..But that’s oversimplifying and ignoring other factors. I’m :flabbynsick: and didn’t recall much talk or articles about 82 games being too much during the 80’s and 90’s or the early 00’s. I think presentation, racial dynamics, cultural dynamics, expendability, urgency, and convenience are other factors as well.
People's attention spans have gotten shorter with the rise of social media and smartphones. Also, nowadays, you can watch sports highlights on YouTube and other social media platforms. Back in the day, if you missed a game on TV (and didn't tape it), that would be it.

The MLB used to be top dog but has been declining for a long time. The length of the season and slower pace of game are the primary reasons for that. It's the reason why, in recent years, the MLB has implemented new rules to speed up the games.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Let’s not kid ourselves. A lot of ppl weren’t fuccn with the lacc of defense

Teams scoring 90 points by half and you got nikkas on here “the defense is better than ever the players are just too good !”
:mjlol:

Ain’t nobody with half a brain buying that silly shyt.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Let’s not kid ourselves. A lot of ppl weren’t fuccn with the lacc of defense

Teams scoring 90 points by half and you got nikkas on here “the defense is better than ever the players are just too good !”

Ain’t nobody with half a brain buying that silly shyt.
This would make sense if there was a drop off in ratings before it got to where its at now. But ratings have been ass before your whining

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
If the Panthers being successful is bad for business, why have them around? Fans wanna win and if the possibility of it isn't there, you're gonna tune out.
Panthers fans gonna watch the superbowl to see the cowboys lose. Cowboys fans are gonna watch the superbowl to watch the halftime show(if the panthers made it in rather than the cowboys). Inherently, Panthers fans, and really most other fanbases hate the cowboys and take solace in them losing, rather than the cowboys fans taking solace in those other teams losing. Unless those teams are in the NFC East and rivals to the Cowboys fanbase. That's my point. The highest rated games are the Cowboys games. To see them lose. Or win.

FukkaPaidEmail

Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
It’s because this generation of fans have been raised to be dikkriders

nikkas don’t root for the team,they root for whatever nikka is popping

Parity don’t mean anything because the majority of nikkas are Stans of Bron,Steph and whoever else is seen as that nikka .

Parity is gonna have to continue for a while for that to change

Also the style of play has done the league no favors .

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
I thought the NBA
This is facts, but what's interesting about this, is how there's a lot of casual NBA fans that are also betting on games/teams/players they don't even watch.

Literally boxscore watching and placing bets. Then they get pissed when a player fukks up their parlay.

1st game of the NBA season, the Bulls got SMOKED by OKC and my brother texts me like the Bulls losing to OKC is crazy

I'm like... :dahell:

Had to school him a bit because he had no idea wtf he was talking about

Did your bro think DRose and Jimmy were still on the team?

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
More and more in the NBA we're seeing small market predominantly White cities and cities with White superstars, making it deep in the playoffs or winning titles.
We're also seeing different cities win the finals every year.

Where are all the fans? Why aren't they watching? I was told lack of parity killed the NBA, while NFL parity is the reason why it's more popular.
Yet nobody seems to be turning away from Patrick Mahomes making the superbowl every year. Why? :jbhmm:

Because it's a majority black league. Same as it ever was.

TM101

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
More and more in the NBA we're seeing small market predominantly White cities and cities with White superstars, making it deep in the playoffs or winning titles.
We're also seeing different cities win the finals every year.

Where are all the fans? Why aren't they watching? I was told lack of parity killed the NBA, while NFL parity is the reason why it's more popular.
Yet nobody seems to be turning away from Patrick Mahomes making the superbowl every year. Why? :jbhmm:
NFL has working class personalities like Keon Coleman and Xavier Leggette while NBA is half euro/ half nepobaby league. If the league had more working class personalities like Anthony Edwards, people would care about the NBA like the 90s