The NFL has a California Crisis On Their Hands

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I wanna say this is a fukkup but I am talking with the benefit of hindsight
nah its a well known fukkup, they only realized it once the preseason of the first season at levis hit with the heat.

unlike SF where heatwaves are extremely uncommon, and in places like candlestick are almost unheard of, south bay gets HOT routinely in august/september

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
this is ridiculous to say. the SF giants sold out every game since 2010 and the warriors have had strong attendance record for years even when they were bad. fact of the matter is ownership made a bunch of decisions that burned bridges with the fans. the days of watching an NFL game live is done. can't wait until it catches up to their ratings as well.
its more of an indictment on the 49er fans, sadly enough.

giants and warriors success also weeded out a lot of bandwagoners. the bay is a lot of transplants nowadays who only care about the trends.

the warriors craze started around 2006 or so. I remember sneaking down empty ass oracle to get close to frontcourt seats in 2003 or so, still in high school.
giants were always very popular in SF, but the three rings recently made them a huge attraction

whereas 49ers last real successes were in mid 90s. the Harbaugh's years were too short of a stretch for people with short term memory...

and yes, I wish more 49er fans were diehard in the bay

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
:ufdup:breh are you an LA native, Raiders are not no neck and neck wit, the Rams in LA...........
There's still wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more raiders fans..... Mexicans and blue collar people in LA go hard as fukk for the raiders breh.......

Yeah @pete clemenza I find it hard to believe Rams fans are neck and neck with Raider fans in LA. All the times I ever went to LA it was only the Raiders that had a presence in the town and had official stores with their merch. I never saw a Rams fan in LA in that whole span, hell I even saw a rare Chargers fan or two but not the Rams. I can see old school cats rockin with them but LA will always belong to the Raiders.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Why did the 49ers move to Santa Clara anyway? :dwillhuh:

I never understood when teams do things like that we have a big, beautiful city but lets just move the team to the shytty city/suburb a couple miles away and still keep the city in our name.

Why the fukk do the Giants/Jets play in New Jersey? :scust:

You telling me there's no space in Queens or something to build a football stadium? :ld:

The short answer can be summed up in 2 words: u paying?

It's all politics. There's no space in NYC where you can build one football stadiums, let alone two. It's a pain in the ass just to get NYCFC a soccer stadium which would cost much less AND have financial backing. Everything that involves building stadiums /arenas becomes a politically motivated thing. When the Jets wanted a stadium it had to be on the West Side of NYC. It was gonna cost a fortune AND then you had Hillary Clinton and Bloomberg tie that shyt to the 2012 Olympic bid nobody wanted. Then Dolan stepped in and said "if y'all gonna do that, give me my billion dollar new MSG." Then they said "let's fix the whole neighborhood and make it bougier." That costs hella tax $$$.

It was cheaper to link up with the Giants in Jersey

ChuckTaylor84

Penthouse Player
Supporter
Daps
The problem with the 49ers was that moving to Santa Clara left a bad taste in a lot of fan's mouths

You need to understand it was a ritual for some people with their families outside SF to come out to the city and enjoy the game. Also partake in what SF has to offer

Ain't shyt to do in boring hot ass Santa Clara. The seats are small and the heat is horrible. Plus traffic on the way there is horrendous

The 49ers front office made a terrible decision moving the team outside of SF and a horrible stadium design

Most don't realize that the hardcore fan base comes from SF not surrounding cities

This is why Levi's stadium has no soul

Paradise50

Superstar
Daps
:manny: LA is a Lakers town. The only football team that can make it is USC.

Very true.

It's odd as fukk how the NFL can't make it in LA, but the NFL is the one league w/ hella loyalty so it makes sense. People don't just "switch" teams and folks in LA ain't letting it go that the Raiders left. LA culture won't change until the mid 90s and on kids grow up. (That's only if they don't adopt their parents fandom)

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
You must be new to the game, raiders used to get blacked out all the time. They got loyal fans but believe they weren't out there blindly throwing money at the Davis's when ownership was pure ass. They had the opposite problem, pay money to sit in a shyt stadium watching a shyt team - nope. Raiders are on the upswing plus their last season in Oakland
Correct,for years, the only time a raiders game would be on locally was when they were on the road.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
The NFL doesn't care about the fans or the stadium. What they DO care about is the ad revenue for airing games in those markets. If the NFL had it their way, every team would be in LA, NYC, and Chicago.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Everything about Cali's set up was a money grab. They didn't give a damn what anyone thought which is very unfortunate because it looks really bad to have markets that big look this disinterested. If that new stadium opens and they gotta give seats away, that's gonna be all sorts of embarrassing.

I say this as a fan of a team that plays in the most expensive failure of a stadium since Olympic Stadium in Montreal (MetLife).

Why is Metlife a failure?

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Everything about Cali's set up was a money grab. They didn't give a damn what anyone thought which is very unfortunate because it looks really bad to have markets that big look this disinterested. If that new stadium opens and they gotta give seats away, that's gonna be all sorts of embarrassing.

I say this as a fan of a team that plays in the most expensive failure of a stadium since Olympic Stadium in Montreal (MetLife).
damn I missed this post, but its the truth
in places like SF/nyc this big of a space is always politics and $$$

in case of chargers, I think the project scale is so big and LA is so close that they were fine with initial loss of fans, especially since chargers fanbase is extremely local and not that big to start with. the inglewood stadium isnt on a friendly budget like levis so its destined to be a huge venue in terms of entertainment in LA, which is a big deal.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
its more of an indictment on the 49er fans, sadly enough.

giants and warriors success also weeded out a lot of bandwagoners. the bay is a lot of transplants nowadays who only care about the trends.

the warriors craze started around 2006 or so. I remember sneaking down empty ass oracle to get close to frontcourt seats in 2003 or so, still in high school.
giants were always very popular in SF, but the three rings recently made them a huge attraction

whereas 49ers last real successes were in mid 90s. the Harbaugh's years were too short of a stretch for people with short term memory...

and yes, I wish more 49er fans were diehard in the bay
Y'all are really conflating hardcore fans with those who go to games. Candlestick didn't have this issue, yes the fukkery of the yorks plus losing plus the move hurt...but prices are killing people too. I come across/know a lot of hard core niner fans, but they're also not the types to have 125/ticket + 50 miles of gas +$50 for parking type money to want to roll down to Santa Clara. Levi was not built with football or football fans in mind.

And the bay ain't built for the average joe no more due to the overwhelming number of transplants the past 15 years has brought. SF/the bay doesn't have the advantage of NY's population paired with its core density where you can have this number of transplants and yet still have a huge native population in the core cities. Sf, the peninsula, and Oakland are transplant havens, the native population that does stick around is pushed out, further exacerbating the unwillingness to make it to games.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
The problem with the 49ers was that moving to Santa Clara left a bad taste in a lot of fan's mouths

You need to understand it was a ritual for some people with their families outside SF to come out to the city and enjoy the game. Also partake in what SF has to offer

Ain't shyt to do in boring hot ass Santa Clara. The seats are small and the heat is horrible. Plus traffic on the way there is horrendous

The 49ers front office made a terrible decision moving the team outside of SF and a horrible stadium design

Most don't realize that the hardcore fan base comes from SF not surrounding cities

This is why Levi's stadium has no soul
Niner hard core fanbase comes from well beyond SF, even when SF had natives. North Bay thru rural NorCal (shyt north of Marin county, stuff east of Solano and sac county), the peninsula, and South Bay all made up the niners fanbase.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Y'all are really conflating hardcore fans with those who go to games. Candlestick didn't have this issue, yes the fukkery of the yorks plus losing plus the move hurt...but prices are killing people too. I come across/know a lot of hard core niner fans, but they're also not the types to have 125/ticket + 50 miles of gas +$50 for parking type money to want to roll down to Santa Clara. Levi was not built with football or football fans in mind.

And the bay ain't built for the average joe no more due to the overwhelming number of transplants the past 15 years has brought. SF/the bay doesn't have the advantage of NY's population paired with its core density where you can have this number of transplants and yet still have a huge native population in the core cities. Sf, the peninsula, and Oakland are transplant havens, the native population that does stick around is pushed out, further exacerbating the unwillingness to make it to games.
I mean, I agree with you as well - and we agree on transplants too...