The Official "BroScienceLife" Appreciation Thread

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
You didn't explain what's better about this
Using free weights for compound moves is always better than using the smith's (unless you old or have some long term injury or something). The same amount of weight on a smiths aint the same as using a barbell. There's a lot of small muscles and CNS stimulation involved in just balancing the weight and keeping the movement smooth.

SO the free barbell is superior. Stopping shy of a real struggle rep on the barbell is better than training to failure incessantly on the Smiths for 90% of people.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Using free weights for compound moves is always better than using the smith's (unless you old or have some long term injury or something). The same amount of weight on a smiths aint the same as using a barbell. There's a lot of small muscles and CNS stimulation involved in just balancing the weight and keeping the movement smooth.

SO the free barbell is superior. Stopping shy of a real struggle rep on the barbell is better than training to failure incessantly on the Smiths for 90% of people.
From a practical, getting in shape and being fit lifestyle

This benefit is negligible

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps

i'm not an anti smith machine guy, it can definitely serve a certain purpose. but there's a big difference between saying, "you can get a good workout using either free weights or the smith machine," and saying, "the difference between the 2 is negligible."

the smith machine removes the need for stabilization, greatly diminishes the need for control of form, certainly screws w the natural force of gravity on the weight being moved and greatly alters the concentric and eccentric tensions (which i guess related back to the natural force of gravity).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_machine

Effectiveness

Schwanbeck et al. reported that free-weights caused 43% more activation of the muscles measured than a Smith machine.[1] Men's Health reported that the straight motion on a Smith machine is an unnatural movement that stresses the knees and lower back. Men's Health also reported that traditional squats produced 50% more muscle activity in quadriceps compared to squats done on a Smith machine.[2]

When Jack LaLanne invented the Smith machine, he used it as part of a complete muscle-toning regime utilizing free weights too. LaLanne never intended it to be used, particularly, to isolate and bulk up one muscle group. The Smith machine works very well because it mitigates the potential for bodily injury since the motion is stabilized
and the supporting vertical bars have safety 'notches' that help prevent the horizontal bar holding the weights from dropping uncontrolled to the bottom of the device.

that's definitely not negligible :yeshrug:

• Dap
Reactions: HHR

HHR

Do what you love
Daps

This is simply not true. I would actually argue the opposite. For the average lifter, the benefit of strengthening your core and stabilizer muscles is MORE important. The negligible benefit of the Smith machine, i.e. reps to failure is more of a bodybuilding and targeted training technique imo.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
By far my favorite channel right now

shyt has me in tears...

The crossfit vid
Smith Machine vid
Gym Gear vid
Evolution vid
Do You Even Lift vid
The Get Hyped vid

and I could keep going on... Like despite him making jokes about the shyt, a lot of what he says I actually agree with.. especially when it comes to crossfit, gym belts, and smith machine

MF budz

All Star
Daps
I'm about to buy some of his merch. That michigains swolverine tank or vneck. Dude his legit funny.