Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
This movie sucked....
MV5BNzNjNmE4YTktMTZiNS00YTQ0LWExY2YtZTU2MGNiNzBiMzI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0OTI1NDM2._V1_.jpg
Trailer looked ass

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So I went into watching Resurrection blind, outside of knowing the synopsis:

Margaret's life is in order. She is capable, disciplined and successful. Everything is under control until David returns - that is - carrying with him the horrors of Margaret's past.

That synopsis had me thinking I had a good idea of what I was getting into. I was kinda right. It's a slow burn with a long run time, and for the first 30-40 minutes, it was a well acted movie but didn't do much that surprised me. But I stuck it out off the strength of Rebecca Hall (from the Night House) and one freaky dream sequence. Then things got weird...but not in a bad way.

Yall know the approach
, this is a character coming unraveled while people around her are in the dark. But Rebecca Hall has this long monologue breaking down some of what we didn't know and...damn! She kills the monologue and her story sets the stage for a CRAZY second-half to this movie.

It's still deliberately paced, but that made the tension and dread build up without any proper release. You're not getting a jump scare and a bit of chuckling before the next scene. It's all just an uncomfortable spiral. The movie's kinda carried by Hall who puts together a performance that's really strong (I need to see the Pearl monologue to compare because Hall's should really be getting talked about too). Look at this...she's going through it!

resurrection1-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

And then the payoff...all these kinda horror movies come down to how you feel about the payoff. This one REALLY WORKED (for me at least). It was ambiguous enough to want to discuss it, but also had plenty of clues to have a good idea what's going on. More importantly, this was a horror joint that I assumed I knew what to expect. That just meant I wasn't ready. It went way extra from what I had been expecting.

It's probably in my top-five this year, but this has been a stacked year of movies. X, Smile, Barbarian, Resurrection, and Incantation are my November favorites. But there are movies like the Sadness, Nope, and Terrifier 2 that would probably have an easy spot in almost any other year...and I've still gotta watch Pearl and Bodies, Bodies, Bodies.

Last edited:

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Atomic Monster and Blumhouse may merge

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I'm thoroughly convinced anyone hyping Barbarian watched the first part, stopped the movie, and immediately ran to the internet to talk about it.
I rewatched this on Max recently and it didn’t do the film any justice personally. I thought it was still good, but as I mentioned in the other thread, I wasn’t fully immersed in the claustrophobia these characters went through at home as opposed to a Dolby screen. A completely different experience in that regard. 9/10, do not regret it.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I rewatched this on Max recently and it didn’t do the film any justice personally. I thought it was still good, but as I mentioned in the other thread, I wasn’t fully immersed in the claustrophobia these characters went through at home as opposed to a Dolby screen. A completely different experience in that regard. 9/10, do not regret it.
I know there was a whole convo about how "you had to see it theater is overrated" a while back, but I completely disagree and I think both Barbarian and Smile were a lot better in the theater albeit for different reasons. Smile had more of the Paranormal Activity style impact, where every time the score would drop out, the entire theater would audibly tense up. People were either giddy for or dreading the upcoming scare, which made it a fun experience. People would scream, then everyone would laugh.

Barbarian, I think hit harder because of the score. Sinister was like that for me too. A theater with a super clear screen and crazy clean audio enhanced just about everything about it. I still enjoyed it from home, a lot, but I was thinking about buying a soundbar or something to try and enhance the audio.

Both these are subjective though and you're just as likely to wind up in a theater with kids who won't shut up or other distractions. But my niece went to see Smile in the theater THREE times, and my nephews went to check Barbarian twice. So I think that theater hype runs in the family (speaking of horror obsessed family, my goddaughter asked for a Michael Myers theme for her 7th bday :mjlol: )